R32 Land Rush status

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fain

Fain Avatar

How is Northwood? It looks like it's just a hop skip and a jump from Brittany.

2. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Weeeeeeeeell..... It was described, I suppose, but not as it is happening now. At one point all Royal Founders were to select before all others, regardless of pledge total because "without them this would not be possible" or some such. Then the people who pledged a lot post-Kickstarter complained that they hadn't known about SotA during those first couple of months and shouldn't be at a disadvantage and the order was eventually changed. I'm still sore about it because that was one of the reasons I pledged so early.

But that was a couple years ago and here we are today. My current issue is having to be up at 3am my time on a work day in order to hopefully claim a village lot somewhere decent. I haven't even logged into the game in forever so I have to do some exploring.

Tahru, Baalice, smack and 1 other person like this.
  3. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

There may not be much of a change. If you consider that auto-boats will probably take us between landmasses, people probably still won't have to go to the frontier to get over to them.

Tahru, Baalice, smack and 1 other person like this.
  4. Lord Green

Lord Green Avatar

Something I just realized - until the public outcry results in a rune/mark system -- which I still believe is inevitable -- the scene recall locations are a lot more important than I see them being credited.

For example, if you "Bind" to Spite, you come in at the docks. Looking at, right now, a bunch of unclaimed row houses. You don't pop in at the expected overland entrance. That's interesting, from a land-grab perspective.

Kara Brae, Tahru, smack and 2 others like this.
  5. Retlaw

Retlaw Avatar

If I wasn't placing in a PoT I would be competing with you for this one. :D

Tahru likes this.
  6. Nox Haven

Nox Haven Avatar

Dang I wish I saw this earlier. Very nice job and thank you for this spreadsheet. I updated the water keep in Harvest to Zero because someone slightly chubby but brilliant took it. =)

Also, I don't understand why there are so many water keeps & castles and regular keeps & castles available in NPC towns. Those are arguably the most valuable properties in the game. I mean if POTs are controlled by a player, your lot right isn't really 'your' lot right... which sort of makes your lot worth Zero. What if you have a POT water castle and your governor has a heart attack in real life.... then what? Or if you have a falling out? Or if the owner wants it for themselves? PRTs would be the second most valuable properties because even though they are not NPC/story line towns, they are permanent fixtures and the lot actually belongs to you.

Of course this is just my opinion but I could be wrong (it has been known to happen quite often). Am I totally of base here? Is there something I am missing?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    zyxe, Tahru, Mykll and 3 others like this.
  7. Fain

Fain Avatar

Well that sucked. Everything I wanted was gone, ended up with a trash lot in a no name town. Disappointed.

8. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

Not to divert from discussion, but just wanted to give a thank you to smack for his spreadsheets.

I noticed before you posted an X lots claimed out of y accounts. Is it possible to have that information incorporated into the spreadsheet?

I could always do the calculating myself, but I thought it might be interesting to include. Could give people an idea of how many accounts are choosing to place in PoTs over NPC or PR towns.

Anyway, thanks again. I check this multiple times a day and I don't even have a lot to place!

shathiell, Jatvardur, Tahru and 3 others like this.
  9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Dunno what you were looking for but i just checked a few towns and there a still a lot of nice locations.
    Didn't take a lookat the hidden vale though. So if you were looking there, no idea.

Tahru likes this.
  10. Fain

Fain Avatar

Didn't even bother with the Hidden Vale. The only spots I found were in the copied and pasted towns. I ended up just plopping down my lot in Elads Loghthouse even though it's just a copied and pasted town built solely to provide player housing.

Baalice and Tahru like this.
  11. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

What, invading the game and not playing it with their only interest being real world money making from it? If the little cockroach shoe fits...

12. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

Yea, took a cloned map as well. I was the first settler of Harvest... which is the same map as Elad's Lighthouse now that I look. LOL. Enjoy!

13. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

TL;DR: in game economies are great, but ruined by the slightest infusion of third-parties and real-world economics.

Be they "Chinese Gold Farmers" in WoW or real estate speculators in SotA, they all suck. I'm here to play a video game, nothing more, nothing less. I will gladly pay the great team at Portal for letting me play their game, and that's it. No one else, IMHO, should be allowed to make money off of Portal's work. It immediately skews the game towards reality, not the fantasy I'm trying to engage in.

"So," some would say, "don't play the real-life market and just enjoy the game." But I can't. Not fully, any ways. Real-life speculators (again, people making money off of a game that isn't their own!) ruin virtual economies in a snap by causing immense inflation and creating false scarcity.

It's honestly a bit disappointing that Portal has decided to go this way and let this happen. It's perfectly avoidable (see anything Mark Jacobs is/was behind).

zyxe, Lord Lew, Ravicus and 3 others like this.
  14. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

You may need to go back a few pages and read the rumors (reports?) about those clever and hasty business-minded folks

Tahru likes this.
  15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

If you find something better, you can transfer the claim.

Tahru likes this.
  16. Sarg

Sarg Avatar

Spite still has 7 town lots available.

Including this one by the city NPC center, with crafting pavilion visible from this angle:
    [​IMG]

There are several town lots left in the castle district that overlooks the city. Here's a shot from the balcony of one:
    [​IMG]

And of course, this one near to the entrance (view from the lot, that's the claiming tile in the lower middle):
    [​IMG]

17. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

You are on the forum a week and calling players cockroaches. That suggests that it might be time to step back and chill.

There are some players here that I disagree with anf have had heated debates with but I've built up my impression over the last 3 years. Some of those people really rub me the wrong way. I try to avoid them and often wish they weren't here. Even then I can see their passion for the game even if I strongly disagree with their favoured implementation of certain mechanics. I try my best to work around them. Unfortunately for me they invested in this game as I did. Fortunately for the community they invested their money to help bring the game closer to launch. It is a bittersweet dilemma.

Questioning motives on a whim is unprofessional. We don't really need folks spilling bile on the forum and even less so without solid facts. Opinion is one thing but (even if your opinion turns out to be correct) without facts it is still just an opinion. We should wait to see before passing a lasting judgement. Give people a chance to prove themselves, especially if they came to any to play the game. If it turns out they they are hypocrites in the future then you can nail them.

I'm not saying don't be cynical or critical. We should be, but let's not throw crap. Tempers are heightened because money is involved. Always the case. We will make more progress with civil discussion which is in line with the forum rules.

18. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

Man, this town's theme is so me... unfortunately, I can't bring myself to live in a place called Spite. LOL. See? That's the sort of stuff that matters to me. Haha. Kinda creepy yet cool. I like the design pass it got.

tazntaylr likes this.
  19. Nox Haven

Nox Haven Avatar

Then we are neighbors. :) I claimed a Lot in Harvest too. After map grinding for 4 days straight I figured that Harvest would be the next best hub for players going West. You literally have to go through Harvest to go South West or straight West on the map. And after it is worked on and beautified everyone picking lots in laggy Brittany may regret that they succumbed to a worse lot choice just to be in Brittany.

Once we have 50,000 people things will change big time. Once there is a few hundred thousand who knows what will happen. Personally, I think many people not using their lot choice in a NPC town or even a PRT is going to regret it later, especially since the only one who controls your lot eviction destiny is you.

Theleb K`aarna, Baalice and Tahru like this.
  20. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

I've been posting for the week. I've been lurking a heck of a lot longer (I'm not much of a poster normally). Have you read through everything? I'm not the one who called them cockroaches initially so you should really be wagging your finger at them first before me. Please be up to date on what's been going on before hitting quote on my last post and telling me to chill.

I mean no offense as I don't know you, but your knee jerk assessment of probably my shortest post really bothers me. I'd love to back up and start again but if that's how you want us to start off, I can't change your mind.

Cassandra Corax, Mykll and Tahru like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.