Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

~~~~LINUX BLOCKERS UPDATE~~~~

Discussion in 'Release 32 Bug Forum' started by Attenwood, Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

randomonium and helm like this.
  2. Nicomachus

Nicomachus Avatar

Hehe, fix it before it becomes a self-inflicted ddos :)

randomonium and Sentinel2 like this.
  3. Archer

Archer Avatar

Potentially hell! This is already preventing me from being able to even search for a lot. If I can't even look, how am I going to actually get a lot when I can't even wait in a scene without being disconnected every minute or so.
    If this isn't fixed/reverted soon, I'll be leaving completely. There is no way we can wait another three months for a fix.
    I read in chat that a new version of Unity was merged into the code base, because the recent fixes from @oneandonly had been integrated into it. If this is true, then it would appear my half-joking fear that it would break something else while fixing previous Linux bugs, was well founded. :-(

randomonium likes this.
  4. helm

helm Avatar

@Archer, DarkStarr said in previous page that a fix for this would be coming tomorrow morning.

randomonium likes this.
  5. randomonium

randomonium Avatar

The devs are *all over* the QA on R32. I'm really impressed with the commitment to getting this right.

Sentinel2 likes this.
  6. mercster

mercster Avatar

Not trying to be a ****, but waiting more than a full day to patch this breaking bug is disappointing. If Linux is not going to be treated as a full supported platform, maybe it should have been labelled an "unsupported test build" that would not be treated with the same intensity as Win64. Then we would know what to expect, and either choose to play the game in Windows or not play at all (especially considering people have paid good money for the land rush and potentially cannot get their money's worth).

Archer and AvatarGG like this.
  7. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

For that to happen we'd have to own a copy of Windows.

8. mercster

mercster Avatar

Well, yeah, that's exactly my point. I actually do own a copy, and could disrupt my entire computer to avoid this BS, but I really don't want to. Some don't even have that choice.

9. helm

helm Avatar

I think Linux support has actually been excellent on Portalarium's side (thank you folks! keep up the good work). It's not really their fault that Unity3D (on which this platform neutrality is based entirely) has seemingly not quite lived up to all their promises, and even on Unity's side I think the recent Linux woes have been a honest mistake -- NO commercial game engine producer wants to get a reputation of substandard service or quality on one of their major platforms, and Unity has specifically marketed itself as being head above others in platform neutrality.

That said, I too am a bit puzzled about this case. I mean, I know many developers play the game daily, but how many of them play it on a Linux rig? (How about OSX for that matter?) This kind of category "Oh S**t!" bug would be very quickly revealed just by playing on the "target" platform, which leads me to deduce (perhaps incorrectly) that this was not the case internally. So maybe this presents some ideas for improvement later on, but support itself has been very good.

strabo and Archer like this.
  10. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Looking excellent here. I've been watching the network traffic. When I enter a scene with no other players. When players arrive and leave again. There are some spikes however they don't seem to be an issue and dramatically drop down after a moment. I'll keep watching. So far so good!

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Sky and connection are good. :)

@Attenwood, now I'd like to bring your attention back to a couple of long standing issues. This video shows what I see when I run through a town. At first the problem is the broken guard model but at the end of the video you see the issue with imp pet decorations (this also occurs in adventure scenes with yellow flowers). If I turn off camera bloom then the white blob goes away. I would love to just be able to turn off camera bloom and say it's good but as soon as I change scenes, camera bloom is back on (although the checkbox is still unchecked).

strabo, Arcanoxer and helm like this.
  12. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Already reported here. There's a couple of these in Owl's Head.

strabo likes this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

And before that I reported it here. Before that I reported it during R32 QA. I reported the broken guard model literally months ago. The point of my post was a reminder.

Archer likes this.
  14. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

And the point of my post was to link in to existing reports of the same issues.

15. mercster

mercster Avatar

Shuuuuut uuuuup.

16. oneandonly

oneandonly Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I am trying guys. Just takes some time to work through all of the issues. The network issue was caused by the same floating point issue from before, although through a different Unity function. (Mathf.Appoximately). I have replaced our uses of this, and have notified the other programmers to take heed in the future. I will now run with OpenGL as my preferred renderer so I should be able to knock off some the long standing visual issues as well. I am also going to have Chris make a rig I can throw Linux on so I can have a permanent test / debug machine.

17. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I, for one, welcome our One and Only true overlord!

Your work and effort are extremely appreciated, good sir.

Now go and fix the guards! *cracks whip*

18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Thanks for all you're doing for the Linux users.

19. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

Thank you very much for working on Linux fixes. :)

I'll just confirm that I also have these glowing white blobs on the yellow flowers while adventuring in scenes and on the Imp pets in/around player homes.

User Specs: 64bit Linux 4.7.1, Nvidia drivers 367.35 and 370.23, Beautiful graphical settings, 2560x1440 resolution.

randomonium likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.