1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Multi-Monitor Issue Work Around: Redefine "Main" Monitor

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Aug 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Unity changed how default monitors work so that now it will go to whatever you have defined as your “Main” monitor in windows. If this monitor cannot support the resolution you are playing the game in then the game will crash. To fix this you will need to redefine your “Main” monitor to the monitor you want to play the game on.

2. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

My main Monitor is my 32" Monitor, yet the game has decided to start on my smaller 24" Monitor. I never had this issue before using my larger monitor in past releases, so your suggestion doesn't work for me.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  3. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

We will continue investigating and working with Unity. In the meantime there are some other workarounds suggested by players including:
    • Disconnect all monitors except your primary, reboot, start up sota, plug your other monitors back in and reboot again.
    • Play in Windowed mode and manually move the game to desired monitors until Unity fixes the problem

Roycestein Kaelstrom and NRaas like this.
  4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I've been using the second option for some time now.

Thank you for the update, @DarkStarr. Good to know the problem has been recognized and looked into. On the grand scale of things, it's a minor annoyance.

5. Lord Green

Lord Green Avatar

I solved some SotA multimonitor problems earlier (and actually, apparently avoided the most recent iteration of this problem, I guess) using DisplayFusion Pro 8.0. You may well already be using it if you have more than one monitor, and if you haven't, I heartily endorse it.

I also managed to lock the mouse to the game monitor using the same program, which was also a problem for me with two monitors.

Anyway, I'm using the beta version for some of this functionality, so download that if your current version doesn't have a "Triggers" section. Here's a picture, which lays out what happens when I launch SotA.

Note that I've also set up a hotkey to unlock the mouse, so that I can escape the lock and get over to the other monitor if I want to, for example, to interact with SotAMap.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  6. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

DisplayFusion works great for allowing you to switch monitors or pin an application to one. The free version is enough. Haven't tried it with sota but works for other unity games with a similar issue. Obviously you need to change to resolution supported by monitor to avoid crash.

7. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

Displayfusion works great. Using 3 Monitors .

Malimn and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  8. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

I keep searching the forums for this answer, but it just isnt there: What *ARE* the working resolutions now? The one I am using is still off, meaning when i try to click on objects, i am usually off. and the clickable blue highlight extends over to the left of people/objects. I have a hard time clicking bankers and blacksmiths - usually I have to pan to look at the floor and click the feet of the person. usually that left one. or i have to get real close, and the only spot to activate is the crotch ;) thanks if anyone can help,

tho, i did pick an odd resoulution, 1920 x 1017, changing to 1600 x 900 didnt seem to help my targeting.

THE HENDOMAN

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  9. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

My SOTA launcher always starts on my smaller monitor, but when I drag the launcher to my "main" bigger screen and hit the Launch Game button there, the client usually opens on the bigger one for me. Sometimes after some patches it wigs out and opens on the smaller one first instead. I then have to mess around with the borderless windowed mode option on/off a few times to get it to work right again.

On the launcher, I keep the "Enable Borderless Window Mode" checked. In-game options, I leave the "Full Screen" option unchecked. This helps keep the client on my main screen without minimizing it when I mouse click on another client or other program on the other monitor. If I either uncheck "borderless" in the launcher or if I check full screen in-game, I always have the main client minimize if I click on something on the other monitor.

Some things that I think might be an issue (for me at least):
    1. My "main" monitor that I have selected in my graphics properties is bigger... but older than my secondary monitor.
    2. They are both connected to the same video card... but using different connector types.
    3. In my graphics properties in the multi-display panel, the smaller/newer one is labeled as "1" and the bigger/older one is labeled as "2". I manually select the #2 as the "main" monitor though and this one displays all my desktop icons and taskbar, etc.
      1. I have tried starting with just the main monitor attached and it shows labeled as "1". But whenever I connect the second, smaller one, it automatically gets changed to "1" and the bigger one changes to "2".
      2. I think this is a hardware/firmware related assignment based on the connector technology, where the newer one is higher on the list?
      3. I've found no way to manually assign which monitor is #1 and which is #2... my only option is to select which is the "main" monitor.
    4. Given all of the above, the fact that my secondary monitor gets labed 1 and the main gets labeled 2 is what I think could be the problem. Perhaps Unity checks for this or has a similar hierarchy assignment system instead of what is chosen as "main"?

selemor likes this.
  10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Just to report some improvement that I've seen...

I can now launch the game in Full Screen Windowed Mode (My preferred option) and it properly appears on my large central monitor.

11. golruul

golruul Avatar

The problem, at least from my perspective, is that the game prioritizes the integrated GPU over the dedicated GPU. With my system I have a monitor(s) connected to both GPUs. As far as each individual GPU is concerned, they both have a "main" monitor -- the integrated Intel graphics has one monitor attached (and is main) while the Nvidia graphics also has a single monitor attached that is also the main one.

The game, and Unity, should be prioritizing the "main" monitor attached to the dedicated GPU if one exists. It should not default to integrated graphics when a dedicated GPU card is also installed.

12. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

On windows what I do, is set the monitor I want to play with as the "primary monitor" then I move the Start bar and all my shortcuts to the other monitor.
    Game goes where I want it, and I can still access everything else.

13. Krohon

Krohon Avatar

Dual monitor support has improved, true, but can be improved much more. Like to spawn the game window on several monitors.

Mazirian and Vallo like this.
  14. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Having the same issue. +1

Mazirian and Krohon like this.
  15. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

If you're playing in Windowed mode the following may help. Maximize and then unmaximize and resize the window a few times you want to have it on. While not maximized but still showing close the game. Reopen it and maximize and close and reopen again. This seems to work with a lot of programs I've found and might force the game to open on the right monitor. Seems like a weird trick but it usually works.

16. John Markus

John Markus Avatar

Note that you can go full screen from Windowed Mode using ALT+ENTER (at least on Windows).

IMHO, I would love if I can move some dialogs such as "chat windows" over to the second monitor. That would be a great multi-monitor support.

Katrina Bekers, Manerd, Ember and 2 others like this.
  17. Krohon

Krohon Avatar

Yes! It would be a great feature.

John Markus and Mazirian like this.
  18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

That would be, as the kids say... Sweet! Not only chat, but inventory, paper doll, etc.

19. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Can we get an option to lock the mouse in the game window? So many times I've clicked after spinning too far in one direction, and my mouse is apparently positioned on my other monitor, and Shroud loses focus.

Really irritating in combat

Scraps MacMutt likes this.
  20. Kaleva

Kaleva Avatar

Please. This is painful when it happens.

Scraps MacMutt and tekkamansoul like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.