Mining Near Resolute.

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Krimzon, Aug 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krimzon

Krimzon Avatar

Hi, names Krimzun Bloodbath in game.. I started a few days ago getting the hang of the basics of combat and travel. Though I'm having some issues near the Resolute Town starting area. One I can't find a single place to mine I'm still using the basic spear that I looted in a 1 skull area. Also I had heard you could mine in owls head or around that area. Though I seem to be land locked I haven't found a way to travel to that area of the game. The pass is a 3 skull area and the only boat along the shore is to some player owned town. Any help would be appreciated as I'm kind of stuck at this point just killing and acquiring gold in South Broken Road. Everything else around the area is 4 and 5 skull locals.

I had a long history in Everquest playing with Fires of Heaven and have been looking for a game that's rather community oriented. To my surprise the forums seem to paint the game as a very friendly place with a lot of active help. So far I have yet to have a single person respond in game to these same questions. I'm hoping its just been hit or miss and there is an actual community playing the game so far it's just been a solo experience. With the way the zones compartmentalize the game I think they are missing the mark on what a truly open world experience games like EQ/WoW/SWG have been.

Alexander likes this.
  2. Curt

Curt Avatar

Check the irc/discord chat most questions asked there gets answeared

Alexander likes this.
  3. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

go to brittany, there is a boat to kingsport there

4. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

I can't answer your main question, but as to the community one, there's currently an NPC bug that can be solved by playing solo online, which is probably depressing the population(Since they're in solo mode).

5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

nightshade pass is technically three skulls, but that's not really a worry. run down the hill, swim across the lake, run up the opposite hill, and you're out.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  6. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

The area around Resolute isn't exactly the best area for mining if you are a new player with low skills. You could either go to the Hidden Vale via boat located by Brittany as O'Sullivan suggested, or try to make your way to the East coast of Novia and to Solace bridge which is an excellent mining site for new players. But you would need to run through Nightshade pass first, the make your way through the desert and then run through East Reach Gap. There is a wagon in the 'Battle of Highvale' scene which would have taken you directly to Soltown, but unfortunately, it wasn't well advertised, at least at the beginning of R32. I hope this helps you a bit. Also, you could do as Curt suggests and go to IRC to get some help on best locations.

7. Krimzon

Krimzon Avatar

Thanks for the help guys, I managed to get to Solace Bridge, but haven't found any place to mine within this zone. I found some ruins, but no way to get inside looks to be under water. Anyways the search continues... honestly this shouldn't be this hard to find ore. In a game that is built around crafting it seems to me the devs have gone out of their way to make the game overly obscure for the sake of who knows..heh. Just like having to search in the appdata folder to find your adventure level instead of having it displayed in game. I feel like a lot of time is wasted in this game just searching for stuff that has little to know explanation. When I played SWG from release till they closed down the servers, I did tons of exploring in that game. Though I never felt like I had no direction and no idea where to find stuff. So far in this game the new player experience if I had to rate it as a long time gamer a solid 2 and that's being rather lenient. At some point I'm going to sit down and write a long list of things I think should be improved if this games going to have a chance at seeing the light of day beyond a couple thousand concurrent players.

Vesper Merchant and firesparx like this.
  8. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Just to be clear, there is no mine in Solace Bridge. You find the ore along the mountain side. As you enter Solace bridge, you can find some ore along the mountain to your left, or go to the right a bit, and then straight to the edge where the river is. Walk along the edge and you will find some there. Unfortunately, all of the good mines are also tough areas for a new player. Solace bridge was the first place I mined a few ores to get my skill up a bit before moving on to other areas.

Edit: If you are willing to brave a challenging mine, you might try spectral mines since you are in the area. It can be found along the road going west from Solace Bridge. Pass Solace forest, keep going and you will eventually see the Spectral foothills. Go in to that zone, and prepare for some very tough creatures. You probably will die, but continue as a ghost until you find what looks like an abandoned mine with a coal cart on tracks. Go inside and good luck ;)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    enderandrew likes this.
  9. Krimzon

Krimzon Avatar

Yep I finally found some ore just a lot of people in there mining it.. Finaly went to friend online mode so we could duo some ore. Ironically we found our way into the crypts below Solace and entered Spectral mines, but the mobs are orange with red hardened skeles and with terrible rusty weapons and the way melee misses 90% of hits heh. It's tough going for sure I hope they get melee fixed that needs to be a priority it would be so much easier if even half your hits landed.

Alexander likes this.
  10. kazafk

kazafk Avatar

You could go to the Hidden Vale by taking the boat sitting on the overland map at Brittany.

First, the Hidden Vale has a good selection of maps ranging trough all difficulties, so you easily can find places to level a bit or grind a bit on the different maps a few days if thats your thing. Theres a mine-like thing in the area too (Owls nest), thats a 5-skull area but the mine is reachable by a beginner too (wont spoiler, to encourage you, to explore things a bit). Hidden Vale has a lot of quests to find, too.

Secondly, since you already reached Soltown, you have a lot of beginner friendly areas too there to explore. Again, level away on a few maps you like and explore.

Basically SotA encourages exploring and getting a feel for the world, what in the beginning means, you sometimes have to run past a pass sometimes thats too hard for you (theres a skill to improve runspeed, Dash in air-tree). Basically the game is divided in 5 larger-scaled areas, which can be seen as economic hubs with the players living around. So every of those areas will have easy and hard scenes and a starter scene in 3 of the areas.

If you explore a few days or lets say 2 weeks, you get a good feeling for the world. For leveling, just stay in the 1-2 skull scenes for now, but since you ran around a bit, you already get ideas where to go later. After a while, youll notice, how the world layout makes sense.

For the ores, i suggest, youd just collect the ones you find by your exploring or get the ones while leveling in an area. For example ive been grinding a few days now (cause i like it, theres no need to do it), and although i dont need it atm cause i didnt even start to craft, i got a ore here and there and now could make something nice with it already, besides i didnt even search for ore.

Theres a very useful map, too, dunno if its been already mentioned, in case you get lost on the map somewhere:
    http://sotamap.com/

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    4EverLost likes this.
  11. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

If the mobs are a higher level than you are, you will miss a lot. Over time, as you gain more experience, you will stop missing your targets 90% of the time.

If you use the excellent map on sotamap.com you can plan your journey more easily. If you just search for "mine" you will get a list of the large mines in the game. To find the Owl's Nest mine you have to search for Owl's Nest. When you enter Owl's Nest just run up the hill past some spiders to the cave which is a bandit's hideout that has ore in it. If you don't attack any of the bandits, there are only two low-level wolves to kill.

Alexander likes this.
  12. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Welcome to the game Krimzon!! Hope you'll find alot of people to play with :)

13. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Others mining the same area does limit your choices. Another good mine to hit is Etceter Crag mines. It has quite a number of smaller caves with ore in it. Not quite as tough as Spectral mines in terms of the creatures there but more ore. First two levels are not too bad but unless you have built up your character, I would stay away from the third level for now because of the Ghosts.

Etceter Crag mine is beside the town of Etceter, which is south of Brittany (following the road to the end, then west).

14. Krimzon

Krimzon Avatar

Thanks for all the tips.... Always been a big fan of exploring in games, though I mostly enjoy killing and harvesting. That's pretty much how I existed on Chilastra in SWG, crafters would contact me and we would set up a contract. I would go out and spend countless hours harvesting different animals/creatures for hides and meat. Also spent my fare share of time deploying and running dozens of harvesters for the rare metals. In return the crafters supplied with me the best weapons/armor they could make, this was long before the NGE days. I've often thought about playing on one of the SWG emu servers, but here we are a friend decided to try this game out while we wait on Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen which actually uses the same Unity engine. I really wish they would have set up the over world zones as just one big seemless game world with some kind of global/regional chat. As it is now honestly the game feels dead, more like a solo rpg where you have the option to play in sessions. Which makes meeting the community and building a lasting community rather hard. Having to use old tools like IRC etc to keep the community together to me is a serious design flaw that the devs need to address. The game honestly for a game that strives to be both a single player experience and a MMo compartmentalizes itself to much. The one big thing that's been missing since WoW changed the entire Mmo genre for better and worse is the loss of the community. My hope is and still will be is, games like SoTA and Pantheon will bring community game play back to the front. That said the tools to do so need to exist in the game having to run a second monitor for maps and irc clients is rather off putting as a long time gamer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.