Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

What wrong with ranged ??

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Spinok, Aug 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agra

agra Avatar

Path 460 seems to have stopped this "hit for zero" while adventuring on mostly flat ground in open areas, at least. So thanks for that.

There is an additional problem whereby the "Run Away! It's a person!" code is superceding/overriding the "I'm in combat, attack my attacker" code that is part of animal AI.

I only notice this when I'm adventuring with my brother. He's ranged, I'm melee. I attack, creature runs to me, and as soon as it hits that 20m barrier (around my brother), and 'sees' my brother, it runs away again, then turns around and runs back to us. It's.. well, it looks kind of goofy. :)

Glad to see things are being investigated.

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for being patient with the community as we continue to digest what it means to be an active part of the development process. Some of us handle that better than others. I know I keep developing more maturity in this area.

I think it takes time for people to understand that they're not just yelling without being heard, you guys are sincerely trying to listen and adjust the game mechanics even if you're not always replying in every thread. It's also worth mentioning that you're trying to do it in a way that leverages efficient use of development time and energy. There are a lot of competing interests and so whatever you're fixing today means something else isn't getting fixed (in that moment) because it's a small team.

Often, I think as a fan I've been accustomed to giving feedback in other games where that type of interaction simply doesn't take place and the only types of comments that get attention are the loudest and the most direct. Which is an unfortunate byproduct of internet culture in general, but a distraction nonetheless. So thanks for the hard work and continued support, it's appreciated.

3. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

Maybe we should be able to claim the "XP reward" for killing a target when we approach to the corpse instead of getting it when we kill the mob. If we take too much time to get to the mob corpse then it putrefies and we loose our reward.

4. Scrambler

Scrambler Developer Emeritus

If I understand you correctly.... is that the case that you lose the XP reward if it decomposes without being looted? If so, please write that up as a bug with repro steps. I know it's delayed until the corpse either is looted or decomposes to give time for resurrection.... but it's not supposed to not give you the reward if you don't get there in time.

Am I misunderstanding?

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  5. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

Oh, my mistake. Is is working as intended.

6. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

@Scrambler
    Much better! thank you for resolving that.

7. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

It is definately better than it was. Thanks @Scrambler!

However, I notice that archers and mages like to get stuck in decorations, which renders them invulnerable but able to attack me. The Soltown Sewers is the easiest way to see this; go into the Black Market area and if an archer is in the room with the beds, stay near him until he runs and stands by the beds. Back off and start shooting; you wont be able to hit him, but he pings you with arrows. You need to close with him and use melee, until he moves again, then you can shoot him.

Prior to the last patch, I didn't notice this, but its happened like 4 times tonight. So, either unlucky or something changed.

8. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

*Mumble mumble*

That's another phenomenon I'm unable to reproduce. I start to fear I have something "broken" because it works differently. It puzzles me to no end.

Yesterday I was exploring (and dying horribly) in Sequanna Colossus, when I found this Sand Golem all alone in a ridge.

Dark orange, with that nasty earthquake attack, tough as nails, very resistant to Air Magic: a good challenge for an archer. You know the score.

I start my usual dance around it, when it becomes hopelessly stuck in a small crevasse between two flat boulders of the ridge.

I was able to kill it (by then, it had around 2/3 of its HPs) by standing at distance and raining max-charge free attacks on it.

I honestly hope my prey becomes stuck - free XP! :D

Fister Magee and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  9. Browncoat Jayson

I've noticed something that makes me question a lot of what we've discussed here. If I'm just out of agro range on some creatures (using bears and wolves in West Ravenswood, for example), I still can't hit them with my bow via charged attack. Either zero damage or missed, and they ignore me. But ALL of my spells can land. I can pull with Fire Arrow, consistently. But I can't pull with an actual charged shot, which is our main damage dealer. Why are spells handled differently, and why can't ranged attacks work like that!

This is still so broken.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  10. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

How high have you raised Range? Since a couple patches ago i had no problems using my bow to hit from max range.

11. Browncoat Jayson

The main skill is in the 70s. I'm using a longbow with hardened leather string, but even if I switch to my elven bow I never land the first shot. If I agro it first, say by rooting it at a distance, then I can shoot it. But shooting first misses 100% of the time.

12. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

That's odd, i've been waking skeletons and pulling bears without any problem.

Let's try to find the differences! I usually use a fully charged attack for that while my skills pop up and I combine them. Should try to pull with a skill when i go on with my daily adventure...

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This, and extra range through materials and masterworking are all pretty much useless.

14. Browncoat Jayson

This is what constantly happens for me. Bow attack does nothing, until I'm close enough that they charge me anyway, but I can hit with a spell.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8241566/2016-08-17_193547229.mp4

Three attacks, and nothing happened. Occasionally I'll be able to see a zero damage pop, or a Missed, but regardless I don't do any damage and it never aggros the target.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.