Losing interest

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dumdidum, Aug 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dumdidum

Dumdidum Avatar

I played this game 4 months ago. Based on potential, i decided to pledge 250 dollar.
    After that, due to not wanting to be burned out on the game, i decided to give it a long rest but i kept reading the forums and development.

And to be honest, since then i am getting more negative with it all. It feels like i am in one big never ending commercial for a real estate agent. It's all about pledging, buying stuff in the shop, prime locations that can be coined later on. Where is the actual fun in playing the game ?

Last week i patched and logged in, and was struggling big time with the controls.
    I know, it's just a matter of spending 5 to 10 minutes on reconfiguering, but something snapped and i was like, why bother anyway.

My chance to claim real estate is around 23 august and right now i am not even sure i will log in to do so.
    What a pitty.

2. Ramrodicus

Ramrodicus Avatar

Hold out. I'm hopeful that the content difficulty will increase to a point where most zones are risky. The game has depth as a foundation which is promising; meaning there is great potential. I remember the old days of UO dungeon crawling and the rush I'd get in descending to hard and deeper levels. I will confess I'm a bit worried about the cash shop and a pay-to-win element ruining the game (as its currently doing in the more recent online RPG's). I am also a bit scared that a developmental temptation might be to appeal too much to the people who are used to treadmill gear-grind themepark mmo's and I really hope the dev focus is, instead, on depth/immersion/risk & reward. We'll see.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  3. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

There is so so much out there to see and do, there's content here at the moment that will last a casual gamer years already. One thing the game doesn't do is advertise the best parts of it, it leaves the player to find it for themselves. Its doesn't say 'look how great i am' but leaves the player to explore and unravel its secrets, and if they have the patience and inclination to they can find secrets and areas that can make them rich in knowledge and gold and sights seen. I am at the moment mining in a cave, the entrance i have come through has resealed with webs and the morning sun has just risen and is making a spectacular visual, that can only be appreciated from this position at this time in this place, just one of the many many small attention to detail the game doesn't advertise but lets you find and see and think, ooh thats nice, so well done.
    I think part of the aim is to show gamers their side of how it should be done, and its a way i am enjoying and understanding over most new age titles like BDO and similar that constantly pushes you to eat its content and encourages you in with bright lights and fast pace. This i find burns out players (me included) .This is going to be a long haul, many years of a gaming that doesn't need to be rushed or devoured instantly, there's areas of the game that will take ages to master, with no pushing the player to do, which i like. If you want to great, here it is, if you don't, then don't, but it isn't going to say 'look what you are missing'...its just our loss if we don't.

The game isn't going to be for everyone. I think it is more for the players who as children, got more fun out of the cardboard box than the present itself. Creative players who can turn limited props into elaborate stages, those that look beneath the surface of something to find its soul. I think a lot of older players might have lost this game playing ideal with new titles attracting as i said with superficial gilding but having limited substance. Its nice to find one is a little more modest, but once you dig a little deeper it truly shines.

Vaughan, Kaisa, gtesser and 9 others like this.
  4. Derium

Derium Avatar

I was worried too, but the more I play, the less worried I am.

It really does have a UO feel going on right now, more so with each update.

As for the things to do in the game, if you plow through everything and just slaughter, loot, repeat like in WoW, then yes, this game is boring. However! Seriously pick a place and go explore. Let's take the Tower of Suttered Eye for example.

You can enter that place and do one of two things:

1. Murder everything and rush to the top. That will net you a few k exp and some gold. You'll "finish" it in about 10 minutes.
    or
    2. Read the notes you find in the place, learn an interesting story and discover some secrets. Those secrets lead you on a hunt to find some hidden items. One of those items unlocks a room with a TON of rewards (few hundred gold, a bunch of each reg, handful of each ore, ect). You'll "finish" it in probably an hour or more.

And THAT is the key to this game, SLOW DOWN! If you take your time to enjoy the secrets (Hell, you can discard all the lore if you want too) you'll find plenty of new hidden areas to explore, many riches to be had and next thing you know the sun will be rising and you will have forgotten to have gone to bed.

But as it was stated, too many people see games as a themepark MMO where the goal is to race to the top. Just like the Tower of Shuttered Eye, if you race to the top, you'll miss the fun stuff and end up bored in the end.

enderandrew, Kaisa, gtesser and 7 others like this.
  5. Selene

Selene Avatar

Right now, with the land rush going on, there has been A LOT of focus on find a lot, where's the best spot, etc. But if you can hang on until next release, a lot of that will go away as all the pledged players will have settled into their spots (for better or worse) and we can all get back to focusing on playing the actual game. :D Expect that once everyone gets up and running, there will be more player run events and fun things to do on the community side.

6. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Maybe this advert will change your mind...or possibly just @Budner 's lol :D

Woftam, FrostII, Budner and 1 other person like this.
  7. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

My God do I love Australia more every day!

FrostII, Solazur, Mac R and 2 others like this.
  8. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

LOL. Bro, when he says, "speaking about broads..." I nearly lost my *insert expletive* ;) God bless the Aussies @Asclepius @Woftam

Woftam and Mac R like this.
  9. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

If this commercial were released in the US millions of people would immediately burst into spontaneous combustion due to a severe invasion of their safe space.

I really gotta move back to Australia. Perth was one of the best years of my life. Stupid work making me live in the US.

PS: Currently on my 4th viewing!!!

Cordelayne likes this.
  10. Ogarious

Ogarious Avatar

This is what a lot of people are focused on right now. After all. They're talking about what's going to be their home and center base of operations for the rest of their life in the game. To me, it's unimportant. My Avatar is homeless, and he's going to stay that way. There's some nice people who have offered a place to help set things up with them and I'm probably not going to take them up on it. Why, because it's not part of what I want my avatar's story to be. He was a evil, evil man. In other worlds, and now he's in this one. He doesn't like the idea of the Oracle, not one bit. Little monster machines following around to make sure you do good and rightful things, then a mystery "thing" that sits in judgement? It should be interesting to see where the game allows me to take this.

11. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Try again when its finished next year or sth. If you are not the competitive type it doesnt matter anyway!

12. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

As mentioned, slow down, make friends, set some medium term goals, and log in when you feel positive enough to achieve them.

Seeing the landscape and game develop in front of our eyes (and screens) is already quite a joy for me to watch each day, while I harvest mats for my gear, and group up to do some killing of pesky undead and earth eles.

13. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I've burned out during betas in many games. I only came back because we were forced to for the in game land rush. I would have preferred to wait until the game was a lot more polished.

Snikorts, Kaisa and 4EverLost like this.
  14. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Well nothing to do here atm besides creating a geared char... Maybe it changes until December.

15. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

It's a slow burn. Like how I overcome ice cream.

16. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

hmmm I deleted my post thinking it'd duplicated.... lol must be the gods telling me to keep it short and sweet. I ave found that the more time i spend reading the forums the more likely I will be to have negative feelings. Playing/exploring/learning seems to be a decent countermeasure.

17. Faenauriel Erulisse

Faenauriel Erulisse Avatar

For me, my friends and my guild keep me coming back. The community is so positive. We all work together and get things done, having fun while doing so.

That said I kinda do wish the game would hold my hand a little more, in terms of where to find quests and story content. i feel the gaps between what I am able to do in following story are a bit too broad and I just need to find time to level up a bit more (or a lot more) to achieve it.

I am a big fan of housing and decoration and preparing for Role play. I chose to claim my home not in any "best location" but in a player owned town where there is plenty of space for anyone to come in and drop a lot and home, to be part of my guild community. I can't stress how much i love my guild! I will be filling my leveling up hours with gathering materials and crafting things for myself and my friends. I look at it as a sandbox with some hidden stories that i haven't' found yet, but I am in no rush. i have plenty of time to follow the quests and learn the secrets of the world.

Stryker Sparhawk and 4EverLost like this.
  18. Tibs

Tibs Avatar

If you haven't been playing the game, there's small wonder you don't feel engaged with it. I mean, really now...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.