force multiplayer scenes to save the game!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gatsu., Aug 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

this is a horrible idea, the strife caused by forcing players to compete for resources would be far more detrimental to a new players experience, some players are capable of dominating a scene by themselves let alone with a small group of friends, there wont be anything left for other players, i go to spo mainly because i know if someone else enters my scene they will get nothing.

DancingShade, Dantuin and 4EverLost like this.
  2. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

In UO we had lag issues at times that were completely cleared up, you could not run by a castle without lagging. Im thinking and I could be wrong, but they need to invest in more power and larger servers and do away with private scenes altogether. Spawn needs to be increase and the Ai adjusted - like many I have an luv / hate relationship with SPO, I like it because I am greedy and I like it because I dont have to share resources, but back in the day, one could go to shame and many people would be there training and we had many targets to choose from and lvls. Regardless of how SOTA was billed as, people are going to levitate to what they remember best of UO and expect it. I understand, many dont have as much time as others but that in of itself is not justification for SPO. If anything it is great to keep grievers from pestering others. But having said that, I would rather put up with the grievers than to see an empty world.

danjacobsmith likes this.
  3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Why should he think that? If he reads the description of the game and sees "Selective Multiplayer RPG with Single Player Online, Friends Only Mode, Open Online Mode and Offline Mode", he should think: "Hey, the others are playing in the different modes, just as THIS GAME IS INTENDED TO BE PLAYED!!!"

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  4. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

in my humble opinion SOTA will never see the Greatness Uo had unless they recreate the carnival like atmosphere. Eye candy will only last for so long. then you will grow accustom to it and if Sota can not transcend this, it will fade away. this is why, we were given new bling bling every so often. because the old bling bling, got old. right? the only thing that will make sota great will be its Population and Sota governing its population in context of good content which I dont ever seeing there being a problem with, but if no one is here to play it doesnt matter what the content is.

Camouflage likes this.
  5. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Well they could improve the server instance creation, there are multi instances of every scene in Mpo, so why not generate more under certain situations.

It would be nice to add alot more "if" checks for instance creation, like how many players are in a scene relative to how many nodes, how many nodes are up, how recently the nodes have been gathered, how many monsters, how recently the monsters have been killed, and many others that could determine when to create a new instance of a scene for players. This of course would require alot more from servers which would = more cost and longer loading times, and also make it more difficult to have pick up parties when u meet up in an adventure zone. Its crazy tuff to devise.

i think the best idea, was to have cooldown timer on gathering when switching modes. solves most the issues and doesnt really create any.

4EverLost and Xi_ like this.
  6. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

This would be true if SotA would be a MMORPG but as it is a Selective Multiplayer RPG population does not matter as much as in a "true" MMORPG.

Population doesn't matter in Skyrim, too for example.

Amount of players does matter - and in SotA those can be in Single Player, Friends Only, Open Online or Offline mode. That is the premise and the biggest feature of the game - being able to play in different, equally important modes.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  7. Camouflage

Camouflage Avatar

As I said before i think its great that the game allows different modes, but its not the first to do so. It might be the first to do share resources between all the modes and at this moment I think that is a very bad idea. Unless you are gold farmer, as these people love to make gold and just sell it. They do not care about the game, housing quests or anything. All they care about is how to exploit the to make money and the best thing about this game there is nothing to stop them from doing so.

One last note, when they come and they will. I can make you a bet the ones that want the share resources will be the first ones to complain about the gold framers and how to stop them.

As for the lag point, well all games have it in the beginning, so that is not a reason to play SPO. I am betting they decided to stop the wiping as they want people playing the game to find the limits.

I have nothing more to say on this topic to say, until the new topic "how to stop the gold farmers" starts. :)

8. mrsanders

mrsanders Avatar

Oh noe. This is the Open vs Solo Thread from Elite: Dangerous all over again (In the fourth Incarnation on their Forum).

9. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

The scenes just aren't set up to accomodate dozens of folks all in there chopping the trees and killing the mobs. With the current respawn times on nodes and monsters I can easily tear through many zones on my own, emptying it of resources and monsters. But I agree this does give the mistaken impression that there's nobody about as many people are doing the same thing - going on to friends only with their group, etc. The only time I really hop onto multiplayer is in the guild city if we're all hanging out there crafting so we can trade things more easily.

The lack of global/regional chat channels adds to this impression of solitude - though I don't particularly want global/regional chat channels either, that's headache we don't need and immersion breaking. But if people have come here from other games its a very noticeable lack.

On Day 1 in Soltown I started out in multiplayer and there were loaaads of people stood around in town, running to and fro, etc. It was cool. Til I went into catacombs and there was not a single mob to kill. Switched to friends mode at that point so I could actually get some xp. Haven't really seen any incentive to switch back. Maybe if monsters were worth more xp/dropped more gold or nodes respawned a lot faster or gave higher yield on multiplayer mode to account for the competition, though I'm sure folks would find a way to abuse it.

10. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

Mi mi miii mmi mii miii MIIIIIIiii !
    [​IMG]

How I play is none of your busines...SotA was sold as having single/multiplayer open for players to chose how to play, when they want, how they want.

Please...play the game as you like, and respect the same from my side.

Thank you.

11. Arthur Ironfist

Arthur Ironfist Avatar

With words in bold capital letters and a wide variety of colors for all of your propaganda needs. I'm not drinkin' that koolaid.

12. Jynx

Jynx Avatar

Personally I don't mind the idea of the OP.
    There are two aspects driving SPO and FO:
    1. The choice that was offered to us all on how we want to play this game and who we want to see.
    2. The lag and continuous crashes when trying to load a metro, even in SPO, nevermind in MP.

Once they fix the performance issues with the big cities, we'll see more people returning to MP.
    As for aspect 1, respect the fact that people play the game differently.

Mata and 4EverLost like this.
  13. Duncan O. McDermott

Duncan O. McDermott Avatar

I know I am arriving late to this discussion and I have not read all the previous pages. I will just drop off my 2 cents and leave.
    This game was designed as a multi selective player game. Now you want to show up after what 3 years or so and demand a change just to make yourself happy? Sorry but this isn't going to fly I hope. Don't fix what isn't broken is my motto. Now go play.

Dantuin likes this.
  14. danjacobsmith

danjacobsmith Avatar

ALL you people using the selective player game argument need to stop now. For the good of this game things need to change soon! This game will NEVER be successful in the long run without these changes.

In order to accommodate these selective player crowd, I honestly think they should separate single player and multi-player characters. I think we should log in after a release, and be asked explicitly if we want to play with others or not. If you want to play in this solo selective mode, you're stuck in that mode forever. This way both parties win and the game will have a chance to flourish.

Switching modes and logging out during game play is an absolute travesty of a game mechanic. Being able to respawn content over and over in solo mode, and then switching to multi-player to sell it all destroys any economy they'll try to create.

How can the company make regions in the game, if people can switch modes to bypass PVP content in solo mode then sell their stuff in other regions. Entire systems this game was suppose to be built around are being subverted because of this crappy selective player mode.

Separate single player from multi before it's too late.

alizter likes this.
  15. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

That's an awful lot of doom and gloom for a game that hasn't even launched yet.

The game needs to remain selective multiplayer, as intended, right from the beginning.

16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I like MPO and will play there lag or no lag. But that is my choice. I hope more people do the same because its really nice to see other people having a good time too. To each their own. As to resources, they are shared with all modes. There is no advantage to SPO resource gathering outside of lag or the desire to be alone.

Mata and 4EverLost like this.
  17. Dantuin

Dantuin Avatar

I wish I could have liked the post above about a hundred thousand times more.

Did we not just have this very same conversation, or some variation, just last week (without all the bright fluffy colors of course)...
    Its seems to be always about US against THEM, we are right, you are wrong and now we think you are ruining the game, something must be done before we are DOOMED....<Sigh>... I would insert a <laugh> here but it has gone beyond being funny anymore.

Forcing MPO in certain places would just mean I would have to now avoid those (heavily lagged) places as well and eventually run out of content and end up quitting, which is not what I would like. This "CHOICE" to play how I uniquely enjoy is exactly why I backed this game in the beginning...So IMO is this OP a good proposed solution? -NO-

Just play the game as it was intended (or don't), please do not change any of the early backer promised modes that I helped pay for and of course, as always, stay off my lawn :)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    Mata, DancingShade, Ronan and 4 others like this.
  18. Camouflage

Camouflage Avatar

As I and other people have pointed out, LAG is a problem in all games, so stop using it as a sticking point to stay in SPO mode. If you don't want lag, play in offline mode as that is the only way to avoid network lag. Which is what people are complaining about.

Another point on Lag,

Lag exist in real life. Take New York for example (or any major city), have you ever trying to get anywhere fast in that city during the day time? It just doesn't work as there are too many people and traffic to get anywhere fast. All you can do is accept it or just move and work outside of the city. Portalarium has made so many cities to live yet most people are trying to get into Brittany, Owl Head, Kingsport, and other major cities. If I was living in a city which was LAGGING and cause me to not have fun, I would just move to a place with less Lag and not use that as a point complain.

19. alizter

alizter Avatar

i cant find anyone to kill in spo and fo :(

Elwyn likes this.
  20. mercster

mercster Avatar

Game is doomed, film at 11.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.