Best summon elmental

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Raxhelm, Aug 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

Awesome, I might have to look into it. Sounds like it could be a fun pet while running a melee build (my current flavor). And also, I do that too, when I explain things I did in past releases, it makes me want to play them this release. Which is also why I have Bludgeons, Blades to last tier; Fire, Death, Air, Earth, Sun & Water magic.....lol. I get antsy!!

Fister Magee likes this.
  2. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

I find that ice isn't useful to me, even as a ranger/mage hybrid... it just doesn't hold agro. Water so far has been the most beneficial with heals. I have Air, but haven't played around with it much.

3. foolishwtf

foolishwtf Avatar

Fire elemental is extremely useful in some fights, it takes 0 damage from fire spells. You can use it to solo satyr/hardened undead mages etc.

Raxhelm likes this.
  4. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Water Elemental is quite good as it gives you back Health for free which you can transfer into focus.All other Elementals are not really worth it imho. With the mana I use for the other Eles I'd rather deal damage.

5. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

It depends on how you fight and what you are fighting. If I had to choose just 1 for all situations, I would choose the earth elemental because it can keep range mobs on the run if you want and doesn't back pedal out of battles to get range, causing unexpected adds.

6. Raxhelm

Raxhelm Avatar

In my experience so far (rather limited probably) I have encountered a lot more fire than other elements so the fire elemental seems to have an advantage because of its fire resistance. On the other hand I now mostly play as a mage with cloth armor (and a mix of leather because every since gold piece I have goes into reagents and I can't afford anything else) so having a tank like an earth elemental may also be good. In any case it sounds like they consume focus and being a mage I can't get enough focus. Even worse is the elementals consume a lot of reagents (over 70% probability to consume) so I think I will avoid them for now. That's disappointing. Digressing, why is it called focus? That seems like a silly name.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  7. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Earth Elemental can't really hold aggro, so it kinda sucks as a tank unless you let it run in first and don't attack whatever you want it to keep busy. Otherwise you'll instantly steal the aggro.

Reagent cost sucks (I'm pure mage too), but it isn't so bad after developing your character enough that you can solo 5 skull areas. There are some where you can easily get 5k+ gold per hour, which is more than enough for reagents. I had the same issue when I first started out for a couple of weeks where I just had zero gold always since it all went towards reagents.

The same applies for focus. Especially if you happen to be an air mage (focus costs are the highest with Air). But with enough time invested, it will become a non-issue. I also highly recommend you play with a deck where you can stack your spells since it increases damage and also reduces focus cost. I would say it's essential to playing as a mage. At this point, I've got 501 focus. I rarely run out anymore unless it's a large fight.

IMO, all of the elementals suck besides the water elemental. The Lich is okay in terms of damage (~34 damage crits), but you'll blow through reagents using it since it's health constantly decays unlike the other mage summons which last until they are killed. Meaning you constantly have to resummon it. It doesn't take any focus to have out though, so I suppose that's somewhat of a plus. Not that that really maters to me since I've got plenty of focus for any of the summons though.

Birne Gilmore and Raxhelm like this.
  8. Hawkshield

Hawkshield Avatar

Yep, its back to trying to train to acquire Elementals again. Took a break and relied on the help of Pets, but now that both of my pets are dead, back to magical research again. Man they really killed off a fun aspect.

Oyjord Hansen likes this.
  9. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

They are all broken at the moment (ALL non-taming pets) - the + Effectiveness from the glyph is not being applied. So, they're all bad. We won't know which one's more effective, pro's/con's until we can get data regarding strength in combat once they're not locked to level 1. Can read more about how I figured this out (easy to test if you have the right abilities) here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...und-through-the-death-tree.57916/#post-615943

It appears this was not fixed in R33, which is a huge disappointment given these pets are the last skill in many trees, effectively negating any reward you'd get for progressing down the tree for a skill that is locked at level 1.

Raxhelm and enderandrew like this.
  10. Hawkshield

Hawkshield Avatar

Seriously? F**

11. Raxhelm

Raxhelm Avatar

Fortunately for me I completely ignored taming. I don't really like the idea of taming that much. Can you summon multiple elemental from different magic classes? I mean e.g. a air and fire elemental. Soon I can summon both so I will find out. I am almost certain you can't. It would be cool if the game let you do this and instead have the elementals automatically fight each other.

12. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

At the moment the elemental "effectiveness" which scales up on the tooltip doesn't actually appear to scale up the elemental's power in any way. The tooltip updates saying that it should be better but HP and damage output of the elemental don't change. I think I've seen this in bug forum. Would be interested to hear an official take on it. At the moment the main reason to level up your elemental pets is for attunement.

13. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

I literally said this 3 posts before yours, and linked the thread the developers responded to.

14. Raxhelm

Raxhelm Avatar

Just got fire elemental as well. In case any one is wondering you can't summon two elemental at the same time. I guess this is obvious. I may switch to fire anyway because I think it provides a source of light and even though I am almost lvl 40 in air elemental and only lvl 1 in fire from what I read they are the same since effectiveness is not used used. Although the lvl 40 air elemental is less likely to use reagents on summoning.

Edit:
    Fire Elemental needs Serpent Scales. Few spells do. That's one disadvantage.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  15. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

Any tips on which Ele would be more helpful in tackling ghosts? They are my bane so far. ;)

16. Net

Net Avatar

Do NOT use elemental on ghosts. All the elemental will do is allow ghost to heal for way more hitpoints than they will hurt them for.

Not sure if ghosts can heal of undead summons though.

Oyjord Hansen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.