Gold seller spamming overworld map zone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kara Brae, Aug 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

They probably should've focused on completing the game instead of adding add-on store content

2. ridicOne

ridicOne Avatar

So double standard imo... spamming I get but people have literally talked about being RMT's directly on the forums. And you have ties to MarkeeDragon which is another known RMT guy.
    People are posting rental fees on steam and selling items within the forums! Is there a document made on what's legit and what's not? Cuz from my observation it seems to me RMT was aok.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    Mykll likes this.
  3. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We're way off topic, stick to the title.

Tahru and NRaas like this.
  4. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

here is an example. my sell thread
    miscellaneous collection of various odds and ends

it was my understanding that this was fine since way back when and will be unless mass exploits appear or the community just breaks down into histrionics. this is my reason for being here rather than in another rce game like entropia universe :)

there is really no way to stop this with the ability to sell deeds and other addons for real money. i could just sell my wares for ingame currency then buy the addons to resell them but i would rather sell materials since its more fun being out in the world exploring and stacking rather than hunting for deals.

once this policy changes i dont know if ill stick around as this aspect of gaming really adds alot for me personally as my time can translate in to a new mouse like the one i just bought or added storage space i just bought the other day in the store. or the money ill spend on the next telethon.

Lord-Galiwyn likes this.
  5. ridicOne

ridicOne Avatar

What's way off topic? I mean I post very little and am not gaining anything by asking. I'm just stating what's gone on here since virtually day one. Gold Selling, RMT, etc. Whatever falls under turning a real life profit from in game currencies or items is all one in the same. So I ask where is the policy document that states what's legit and not? Because maybe there have been people here violating it for three years now.

Korim Rackham, Kal and nonaware like this.
  6. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

A lot of gold seller spam accounts will be using legit accounts that were hacked and since Portalarium has had next to zero security for game account the odds are pretty high this is happening.

Also, because of the creation of the gold standard premium currency, it has only legitimized and encouraged gold sellers to engage in this behavior.

7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yeah, I totally disagree. Gold Sellers are business people, and they're not stupid about what's going on here. Too much risk for too little reward.

No gold seller is going to make a profit here long term. They know it too.

8. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

It's not, the selling of the gold stand premium currency (crowns) and all the other micotransactions only legitimizes gold sellers and encourages all the bad behavior that comes with it. As you say, it creates the atmostphere of microtransaction hell.

Korim Rackham likes this.
  9. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

It depends on how easy it is to farm gold/crowns, the rate of bannings for farming/botting accounts or if there is some massive exploit/dupe especially if it involved Crowns. It seems though that the game has such a low population that it doesn't matter, but there is no doubt that the game is primed for gold sellers to make some decent profit if the game takes off.

Long term though you might be right, but only in the sense that the game is hurt badly by the micotransaction hell that the Crown premium currency and add-on items and the population drops to a critically low level. For gold sellers it won't matter as they will move on to MMO Game #94938 and not miss a beat. The only people that lose here is the fans/customers who wanted a fun, immersive game that reminded them of Ultima or UO.

Korim Rackham likes this.
  10. Drocis the Devious

The main reason gold sellers will die in this place is that they have to compete with ALL of the player base AND Portalarium. Have you seen the Owl's Head public vendor? It's full of Obsidian Crowns for 1300 gold. I'm actively putting in work orders for Obsidian Crowns below that price. I've purchased over 400 crowns using nothing but in-game gold.

As more people come here to play the game that competition becomes incredible. Gold Sellers have never had to compete with an entire community before, let a lone an entire community that had convenient access to trade in-game and out of game securely. This is where gold selling operations go to die. I hope they do show up here, I'll have a lot of fun laughing at all the money they lose.

11. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

I will gladly send you a pizza if in the next month you don't start seeing gold sellers selling Crowns that beat the price that Portalarium has set in the add-on store. That might have already occurred, but I am not sure as I have not taken the 5 minutes to check.

12. Drocis the Devious

The problem with Gold Sellers trying to beat that price is that the players are not trying to beat that price. The players are just trying to get gold. So it's not just the add-on store price that Gold Sellers have to worry about, it's all the players. And players can and do farm as effectively (in many cases) as the gold sellers. The players don't care about profit margins, they just want gold now. When they go up to the Owl's Head public vendor and Gold Sellers are trying to beat that price (which by the way is 20% tax on public vendors) they also get undercut by everyone in the world that just wants immediate gold. This lowers the price of COTO's and destroys the in-game market.

That's way too speculative. The ups and downs of the COTO market are going to beg HUGE. Long term, it means that Gold Sellers may lose it all and get eat up by either public vendor taxes or just too much competition.

13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

The thing with me is I am not in a hurry to play a game where gold spammers or even ware spammers are spamming chat. I got a lot of other games to play. I can wait till this is dealt with for now.

Baalice and redfish like this.
  14. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

At the risk of being misunderstood, I cannot believe the level of bull I am reading. Gold selling is the cancer of MMOs that nearly every player detest with a vengeance. Accepting gold selling is no different than turning off your email SPAM and volunteering to be conned. It's not a business, it's a highly illegal operation. If you think it's legal, then let me give you the IRS and FCC phone numbers.

I get the double standard argument. Two wrongs don't make a right. It's completely unconstructive to make that argument. Nothing good could possibly come from it.

Gold sellers did not make this game. We paid our hard earned money to back this. Don't let others ruin it.

DancingShade, strabo, Baalice and 2 others like this.
  15. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I agree.

Baalice, Mykll and Tahru like this.
  16. Kal

Kal Avatar

it is completely legal to buy and sell game items and game currency.

also many games think it's great as the original ultima online did. however many games are against it and try to ban you for it but it is still legal.

the law is not decided by developers of a video game. you are confusing rules for a video game and laws enacted by a government, huge difference.

Lord-Galiwyn likes this.
  17. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Please let me see your tax records so we can discuss. Furthermore the EU has very strict rules against it. If the game companies allow you to do it, they may be held liable. It has happened before. Hence even if they agreed secretly. They can never acknowledge it. Seriously people just drop it. It will never ever happen. Many of us have a car invested in this game. I really don't give a hoot about some dude and his need for another mouse.

This is my last post on this subject. I don't want to contribute any more to this garbage talk.

Baalice likes this.
  18. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

I could care less about the legality of it myself. Any selling of a 'game' item to make 'real life' money is a scourge to video games in general. Maybe I'm a purist or it's because I've played since I was 6 and am now 43 and still going strong, but video games to me have always been about getting away from real life and immersing in a world created by someone else for a while. I'm sure it's similar to reading for some people. I get that not everyone feels that way but that's not the point. I just can't believe people 'invest' real money into buying in-game real estate to then rent it out for real money to recoup and then turn a profit. Those lots are for actual players, people. Even as it was stated earlier, this 'aspect of gaming' adds a lot for some people (it's no aspect, it has nothing to do with gaming). They can use their time spent playing to earn money to buy real life items with it. What?! I thought the time spent playing was because you enjoyed the game? Why is this even tolerated? Gold sellers, marketplace, it's all the same.

Obviously, this is only a problem in online gaming where there are people who are glad to soak others out of their money and people supporting it because they like to buy convenience. It's nothing new, it's just that it gets worse and worse and when I hear people extol the virtues of being able to do it, it boggles my mind that it's acceptable. I started out a single player gamer since the early '80s so there was no online anything but it looks like I'll eventually come full circle back to it so I don't have to see people ruining an industry I love so much, one company at a time. Again, I don't care if it legal, it's wrong. It sickens me quite honestly. Always has, always will. /rant

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    Kara Brae, Mykll, autodeath and 2 others like this.
  19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I am so glad more people are starting to realize this. I have been the voice in the wilderness for a long time. Thank you for your statement.

Mykll, Baalice and Tahru like this.
  20. ridicOne

ridicOne Avatar

This is exactly what I think and I'm not doing this as something for myself. I'm saying what I've said because if you have different ways of input it's still coming out with the same output. I have issues when people allow one aspect of literally the same thing allowed vs. not allowed. That's a double standard now either crack down on all of it or non of it.
    I'm sorry but if people think it's fine to benefit from properties/rares/mats the same way as a gold farmer how is that fair or right? It's literally the same thing.
    This I will almost bet will be swept under the rug. Stepping on lots of toes now. This basically shows how morals around here flow. I came to be virtuous and I left covered in sin.

Korim Rackham and Baalice like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.