I Thought this was not ging to be allowed on SOTA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nhili Dragon, Aug 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

@Richard Garriott. I had thought this was not to be allowed in SOTA. It does explain how vendors had so much to sell right after release 32.

Moderator Edit: Removed link.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2016
    Spinok, Alley Oop and Montaigne like this.
  2. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Check out the gold farming thread.

There is some discussion of this. SotA isn't stopping people selling items for real life money. There are blocking people who spam chat as gold farmers. They may block these guys.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2016
    Montaigne likes this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

They have never said it would not be allowed they just said they will not endorse it and you just advertised them soooo?

The Hendoman and FrostII like this.
  4. Sarek

Sarek Avatar

You will always find people that will seek to make gain out of anything, aside from stopping everyone from being able to trade a single item you can't stop drone accounts farming to order sadly. The one blessing with SPO is they can't lock down a spawn for six months. Just don't buy from them, no reward no return. I will only spend dollars direct with Port for as long as I play this game, as a fan of immersive entertainment that is my pledge please join me. Support it or sink it

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  5. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

6. enderandrew

I was disappointed to see so many people sell to an effective scalper. I'm also disappointed when people buy from scalpers.

It is also frustrating to see scalpers set market prices.

Oh that item was $10 in add-on store last year? It is $75 now. We paid someone $15-$20 for it and now jacked the price immediately up.

It is just like the pawn shop model. There are a few items I'm missing that I want (some pets in particular) but I won't buy from scalpers, nor do I want to pay scalper prices.

7. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Lock resources farmed in SPO to SPO and problem solved.

8. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

There is one item they will not allow sold and that's gold. AnsheX (the same company that runs sotamarket) made a post about selling gold for cash to which Berek left the response
    As for selling in game items for gold, I thought that was always the plan. Seems having forums specifically for buying and selling is meant to facilitate exactly that.

9. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

Was not an endorsement but I felt that RG and others should be aware of it. I do not use these people in any game and do not approve as it always seems to end up spamming in one form or another.

So buying resources instead of gathering is ok.. :(

Montaigne likes this.
  10. Sarek

Sarek Avatar

No I think the forum is for real players to trade off their excess resources or crafted wares, not for some slave gang master to screw the economy and ultimately trash the game.

11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

If it dosen't violate the ToS.
    Though I admit i have no idea if it dose.
    But than again so far we were allowed to sell any item.

Damian Killingsworth likes this.
  12. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

Will not help. Try gathering in SPO and see.

13. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Anything can be traded and it just becomes "player economy" whereas the real dollar value of in game gold is 500g = 1$ or is it 3500g = 1$ ... I can't remember, but it was set with the tax rates.

It's in Portalarium's best interests to do everything they can to control in game currencies... everything else is fair game, or so that seems to be the case in the marketplace forums.

14. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Buying and selling of items/resources will always happen in an MMO where there is trade. You can either embrace and accept it for what it is on the basis that it will happen regardless.......or you can spend a lot of money chasing people to prevent it.

I have no issue with people buying/selling for $........I only have issue with people gaining resources unfairly through the use of bots.

15. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I did... it was so boring. And mind blowing that I could transport all those resources back to multiplayer. So, I do my grinding in multi... most of the time it's not a problem, but sometimes there are scenes just wrecked with unclaimed harvest loot and the resources just sit there. It's horrible.

Acred likes this.
  16. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

The so called player makred is a huge bubble that will blow up. If you are in a guild you dont have to buy anything.
    Since the skill treas allow to farm every thing there is no need to trade.
    The player econnomy is an illusion.

17. enderandrew

The price of a COTO has already plummeted from about 3,500 in game to 1,000 in game. But I expect that to go back up over time.

The second R32 dropped, people wanted gold to get vendors and prepare for the lottery/land rush. So they sold all their COTOs right away. Now there is very little market to buy them, because people haven't had to repair max durability on super expensive crafted gear so much yet.

Once all the pledge tier COTOs are gone and people need them, the price will go up with demand a few months from now.

But the COTO price basically sets the gold price. And right now gold is basically 1000 gold = $1 = 1 COTO.

That is why you see people in the marketplace offering to buy gold at 1000 gold = $1, and in other threads immediately turn it around and sell at 2000 gold = $1.

I try to spot those people and not do business with them. But I can't control what others do. I've identified a few awesome trade partners. We give each other preferential pricing and trades trying to help each other on what the other person needs rather than focusing on how to make a real world profit out of a game.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  18. Sarek

Sarek Avatar

Fully agree new player came into Northwood earlier and I pull stuff off my vendor and kit him out, no charge. It's a sandbox, we know what animals do in those so counter it whenever you can.

Baalice likes this.
  19. Daevin Aruth

Daevin Aruth Avatar

As long as Portalarium allows the sale of items for real money then who am I to complain? I can make suggestions and my opinion known but I don't and can't make the rules and I cannot control it BUT I solely purchase from Portalarium so I know that Portalarium gets funding to continue SotA.

20. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

250 ores for $20? Lol

Budner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.