Where are you placing your row house?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bamboozle, Aug 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bamboozle

Bamboozle Avatar

We will be neighbors ;) plenty of lots left in Brit alleys so far

Tahru likes this.
  2. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

Camping out in Storm's Reach for my row lot right now. The resident's seemed so freindly advertising their town :p

Tahru and Ulrich Alpenglow like this.
  3. sterley

sterley Avatar

I grabbed mine in Northwood this morning - very pleased with the location! One of three sitting by themselves right along the shore of the river. One was left open a few minutes ago if someone is still looking!

Best,

~Kilian Kincade

edit: a question for the more initiated here; I noticed the "construction sign" and a pop up message on entering Northwood, that it is "Based on an existing scene" and will be getting some work at a future date. Does this usually mean MASSIVE adjustments, or more of a "tweak and polish" to make it unique? i.e. will I regret my decision should my ideal row house location and scenery be changed into something less ideal? /fingers crossed that's not the case....

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Rothana likes this.
  4. Rothana

Rothana Avatar

My brother and I placed ours in Northwood.

Why? Because it's pretty close to Brittany. There are three rather exclusive looking row lots right next to the river, and we got one of them. Plus almost all of the row lots are very close to the centre of town, so close access to the bank, crafting supply npc vendor. We are hoping that someone will eventually set up a nice public crafting house with benefactor stations. We like that the rows of row lots aren't super long and therefore the town doesn't feel as cramped as the bigger cities.

It was pretty much all about a pretty location, and also looking for some perks like proximity to Brittany.

Hazard likes this.
  5. sterley

sterley Avatar

The lot aforementioned in my post above is the other end of that three lot row!

Hello and well met, neighbor!

I agree with all your assessments of Northwood - I'm very pleased I've chosen it as my home.

Best,

~Kilian Kincade

6. Bamboozle

Bamboozle Avatar

I've seen quite an uptick in shopping traffic in Brit alleys so far! Many more vendors have opened up. Definitely think this area will boom and be a vendor hotspot. :)

7. RobotBeginner

RobotBeginner Avatar

Brittany Alleys and also GreenFall.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  8. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

9. Camouflage

Camouflage Avatar

Yep, I agree with your guys Northwood is alright and the space by the river is the same place I would have taken if i moved in.

For me its too close to Brit, So I am looking for a place on the island of Norgard.

10. Rothana

Rothana Avatar

Go look at Goti then (it's on Norgard), it's currently a clone of Northwood with the same three row lots right by the river. :)
    It's also got a way more conveniently placed map entrance than Northwood. I start to wonder if Goti was the better choice, but too late now!

Dhanan and Camouflage like this.
  11. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Right behind the crafter's in Solania.

Majestic view of some weirdo's blimp, free access to their expert crafting stations right next door, and like 10 feet from the cheapest Curing Salt and Chunk of Coal in the southeast. BLAMMO

Kalorilan likes this.
  12. Camouflage

Camouflage Avatar

Yep, That is another reason why I ended up over there. I just hate how long it takes to get to the center of town in most places. Mud and Westend are close to the entrance, but was not sure if i want to hang in a swamp.
    Yep, its too late for you to get the same one, but the other two are still free if you want to move.

Dhanan likes this.
  13. Phiedrus Oliva

Phiedrus Oliva Avatar

Row lots near the entrance can be difficult to find.
    The next group in the Land Rush may have quite a few row owners, so let me mention another convenient city for you: Pericaliya.
    It's a little paradise very convenient. You enter the city from sea and arrive in the docks. Immediately entering are the services and row lots. You get there from Etceter in 3 ferry-clicks with no load screen in the overworld.
    It's low skill friendly, you have 1, 2 and 3 skulls zones nearby.
    Nearly empty at the moment.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    Spoon likes this.
  14. Krissa Lox

Krissa Lox Avatar

No, don't mention Pericaliya yet when there's only hours left before I can place again! ;)

Silly self-absorption aside, yes, Pericaliya and Nesoskia are both good layouts for row houses that are mapped in good locations. Celestis would be great, maybe even optimal if you like the Perennial Coast, if they would reduce the heights or visibility of the trees on the overland that make it annoying to navigate through the swamp terrain. At least for me, I would prefer to go to Celestis over Ardoris when in the area if I weren't so untalented at pathing through there.

Personally, I also think the inland grassland maps, especially those on main roads, are going to be prime real estate in a year or two when their populations fill out since their lot layouts seem basically like 100+ plot vendor malls just waiting for a good number of shops to set up to be attractive enough to take the time to zone in. Along those lines, Etan Glen and Greenfall are probably best if you want to be part of the Brittany or Hidden Vale communities respectively. Magna Planitia is a good location for central warehousing and production for supplying multiple shops or community works across the map. Anseldale might become attractive as a more specialty destination if Magna Planitia fills up enough to provide local foot traffic and a stable source of supplies for crafters and community organizers.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    3dmark and Phiedrus like this.
  15. Phiedrus Oliva

Phiedrus Oliva Avatar

Vendor Rush is how we'll remember these days.
    I am enjoying it myself, just for the sake of having fun with an episode that will be part of SotA history.

Today is my turn, I have claimed and left 3 lots, and it's still early until I go to bed. I have a lot reserved in a POT that offers what I need in terms of convenience, but I'll spend a couple of days toying around, chasing lots that get unclaimed because the owner moved, etc.
    However, you have expressed it exactly the way I see it when it comes to 'the big cities': "seem basically like plot vendor malls just waiting for a good number of shops to set up to be attractive enough to take the time to zone in." I haven't made numbers, but my sensation is that there far way more vendors than buyers.

I would really like that SotA economy raised, and streets were markets with successful vendors, their owners become buyers themselves, but honestly I don't see that happening, at least any soon, I coudn't say why.

Krissa Lox likes this.
  16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The row lots and town center are very close to the entrance in Island PRTs.

3dmark, Arathil and Phiedrus like this.
  17. Krissa Lox

Krissa Lox Avatar

Exactly my sentiments as well. :)

I have some experience with retailing in games and I think your feelings are likely correct. My perception is that the economy here is turning out to be more like the former Everquest 2 Bazaar than like UO or any other game I've seen. If this continues, then the bulk of the economy will probably happen behind closed doors or through website transactions than in the world's streets, and I strongly suspect that real estate is not going to have nearly as much "passive value" as some may think if it's not tied to some further personal interest to do something special with what you've got.

On the plus side, if a large part of the economy happens outside of housing, then players will all have equal access to it regardless of how much real money they were able to afford to put into it and housing prices will stay affordable for those who want to do cool, community-oriented things with it instead of only being available to the highest bidders. On the negative side, it would be harder for unconnected players to find the invisible on-ramps to the economy and it might take longer for the cities to start looking more lively if there's not much business actively taking place in them.

At this point in time, natural selection would bring in more vendors than buyers (though it should be noted that vendors tend to be pretty prolific in their buying, too) since it takes real world capital beyond the immediate value you'll get in return for it to get into land ownership at this point, which will naturally appeal to more producers and middlemen than pure consumers, but people who enjoy merchanting for fun are probably aware of and looking forward to the challenge and those with actual business experience should be planning ahead for the future, not expecting to just throw something up and start cashing out immediately.

I think it's more important at the moment to just find a situation you're happy to start out with regardless of what other players or the world as a whole might do, and consider good relationships and personal happiness as the best things to invest in that you'll be able to keep no matter what else happens. Even Luna, that great pinnacle of shopping, didn't get put in UO until several years into the game, so really there's no way to predict what the end game's going to be. Only what will be meaningful to you now.

Spoon and Phiedrus like this.
  18. Arathil

Arathil Avatar

This is the main reason I like Parrot's Roost. All the row houses are right by the bank, crafting stations, tavern etc.. You just zone in and run straight up the hill and you are there!

Lord Trady of Blix and Hazard like this.
  19. Travitar

Travitar Avatar

Coastal Forest cities like Port Titan and Brekken Bay have a ton of row spots near the center of their town's NPC shops, and are really close to the entrance/exit.

20. Dhanan

Dhanan Avatar

Goti is the place to be! There is still one of those Row lots left by the river. :D

Camouflage likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.