Research into Armor Base stats, Damage Reduction% per fizzle% and more.

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Warin, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warin

Warin Avatar

Full leather set is bad, if you don't care about fizzle at all and just want the heaviest armor possible then Leather Chest + rest plate makes sense.

The data is gathered from in game, considering using http://sotaqm.com/builder to get the materials where they are interesting. Allthough I'm thinking everyones going to go for weapon damage and crit over dodge and damage resistance anyway.

The rest is just math calculations.

hroth, helm and Krohon like this.
  2. Krohon

Krohon Avatar

So then, mixing heavy armor and light armor seem to be way to go. But, will the armor related skill fully apply? Will we able to benefit from both skill trees? I am not asking the question, just wondering.

3. Warin

Warin Avatar

Light chest = light skills
    Heavy chest = heavy skills

No double dipping atm I'm afraid

jolanar, KuBaTRiZeS and Krohon like this.
  4. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Thx for the info :D

My fav as a DK / sword mage is Meteor plate chest and carapacian cloth for the remainder. Fizzle can be removed by Focus tree talent and you get large crit and focus pool increases.

Heavy tree is so much better for Strength and mitigation. Any buff that is against 1 hit is useless

Krohon likes this.
  5. Warin

Warin Avatar

This is a good example, using full chain with cloth gloves you achieve a purely better base armor: It's just plain better in all base armor stats see here
    [​IMG]
    Full chain except cloth gloves is 3 more DR 2 more Avoidance 1 less fizzle and 5.5 more max DR. While you still keep your heavy passives. So you'll have to gauge if the material bonuses from 4 cloth +1 plate is more interesting than 4 chain +1 cloth.

(Chain can use cloth straps to get some of the %focus bonus of a cloth armor, but the metal will give you more DR, health or weapon damage) Check out SotaQM.com to check the different material bonuses avaliable then compare that to

Snazz, Fister Magee and Krohon like this.
  6. Frosty Gambrinus

Frosty Gambrinus Avatar

Any idea if the only needing the chest piece for light or heavy has changed in R33?

Warin likes this.
  7. Warin

Warin Avatar

Same as before as far as I can see. Goes from red text to grey text whenever you change your chest piece.

8. Acinonyx

Acinonyx Avatar

Thx for your work this is really an interesting sheet.
    At the beginning of my adventuring career i used Leather since i loved to use some spells. But i got hit quite heavy so i changed to chainmail to get better protection and still be able to cast a spell or two :)
    Just yesterday i wanted an upgrade to plate armor to get better protection. But now im not so sure if thats really needed.
    Btw has the recipe for chainmail leggings changed? It seems none of the recipes of sotawiki or sotacraft work.

Warin likes this.
  9. Artte

Artte Avatar

Thanks

Warin likes this.
  10. Warin

Warin Avatar

Have you tried the SOTAQM.com recipe? I haven't tried crafting chain leggings myself yet in r33.

Artte Darrow likes this.
  11. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

First things first, you're doing an incredible job datamining all this. Kudos!

Regarding the "stop wearing leather" advice... You should specify that you're just analyzing the shared stats between armor sets... you're leaving mats apart. Basic leather already gives increased chance of dodge which is interesting when stacked with the active skill. Also, the supple leather variant increases your chance on crit which is interesting for many other builds.

Even knowing that leather was underpowered defensively speaking (i already knew) i won't change my supple leather with supple straps for any other. won't hurt to have some damage avoidance as a base stat, though :D

EDIT: another thought... have you tested movement speed? I'd swear that's reduced for each piece of heavy armor you're wearing, which is another flaw in the leather chest + full plate. Just trying to offer more perspective.

Megic, Concord, hroth and 3 others like this.
  12. Acinonyx

Acinonyx Avatar

I have managed to craft chainmail leggings. For the recipe i looked at sotaqm, sotawiki, sotacraft and one other crafting site and played with the correct amount of materials.

Warin likes this.
  13. Epiphany

Epiphany Avatar

I wonder if I could bother for some advice on what armor combo I should be using. I am out of town and have a terrible internet connection (takes several minutes to open a web page!) and am stuck using a crappy 'pseudo' tablet ( I put a custom Rom on an old Kindle).

I guess I'd fall under battle mage, but I put a lot of emphasis on my spells, crits and evasion. Currently I have been using: Fortified Leather Chest & Gloves & Carpacian Cloth for the rest. I admit that I didn't really do any research when making the armor, since I mostly made it with what I happened to have on hand and limited funds.
    I'm using a Halberd and have unlocked:
    -Light Armor Abilities: everything
    -Polearms: Unlocked everything up to 3rd tier: Main one that affects stats of course is : Defensive Positions
    -Tactics: Healthy, Train Strength, Heavy Lifter & Parry
    -Subterfuge: Train Dexterity & Armor Weak Points
    -Focus: Heightened Awareness, Quick Swapping, Train Intelligence, Inner Calm, Follow Through
    -I always keep up the buffs for: Strength, Intelligence and Dexterity
    -Earth Magic have up to: Sympathy of Stone (almost have enough to unlock Bulwark of Earth)

-I am trying to focus more on Death Magic, but since there are a lot of Undead, I am also using Fire Magic, Air Magic (chose it because of the Stuns on most spells) & Sun Magic (Only up to Searing Ray and Enlightenment for the buff). I only have Life Magic up to Healing Ray since I have no way to keep my health up on Undead.

After reading this, I was considering doing Leather Chest & the Rest Chain since I am using the Light Armor Tree. Since Follow Through lowers Fizzle Chance (I just unlocked that the other day, so it is still low), I figured I may have a bit more leeway on armor.

I know it is a lot to ask, but I would really appreciate any help on suggestions. I'm terrible at math and have always sucked at trying to figure out the best armor combo's. My poor friend from EQ told me I was hopeless so he always took it upon himself to 'help' me with that. lol (he called it 'help' but it was more like ordering me. LOL!)

I will bow down and give *puppy dog eyes* and beg if I have to!

Thanks!
    ~Piffy

Edited to add Earth Magic Innates

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  14. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

The first big glaring red flag is that you haven't unlocked your earth tree passives ( Sympathy of Stone and Bulwark of Earth). They give damage resistance maximum (hard to get), avoidance (great), and str + flat damage resistance.
    They add a large amount to your survivability at low levels

Epiphany and Tahru like this.
  15. Epiphany

Epiphany Avatar

Oops I have unlocked Sympathy of stone. and just need to unlock Bulwark of earth. sorry about that!

Do you think doing a combo of leather Chest (and possibly gloves) and the rest chain would be a good idea?

16. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Good stuff!!!!!

17. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

You could go with an epic carapacian robe for 2% spell crit and a ton of focus. Then open up the subterfuge tree for dex (physical hit/crit) and weapon crit below it (armor weak spots)

Spell crit is hard to get in quantity.

The change in damage mitigation isn't going to be much. Talents and temp buffs give the most

Just a thought, since it sounds like you are heavily invested in magic

Epiphany likes this.
  18. Epiphany

Epiphany Avatar

Thank you so much, I will give that a try!
    Thankfully I do have that unlocked in Subterfuge tree!
    Now I just have to learn the trick on the double-tap dodging. lol. I find even when I manage to dodge I am still getting hit. I have always played a dedicated healer in mmorpg's so I have a bit of a learning curve here ;) I appreciate all the help!

Thanks!
    ~Piffy

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  19. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

You're welcome :)

I haven't had much luck with dodge rolls either. Mainly use them to quickly reposition and get a clump of mobs in front of me for 2H arc hits.

Don't know the halberd playstyle unfortunately. Best of luck!

Epiphany likes this.
  20. Frosty Gambrinus

Frosty Gambrinus Avatar

Is this still valid? I am looking at my leather / plate combo right now and it doesnt seem like the set bonuses are adding up...

makraiz and Olthadir like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.