Street Lamps from the add-on store (can they be used with Row Lots)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by deonast, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deonast

deonast Avatar

Hi Guys excuse the perhaps newbie question. I've been so busy I haven't kept up with the game / project and just put down my house in the great land rush (lot selection). I bought ages ago Iron street lamps as I had in my mind that I would put down my house on a corner and put these around on both sides.

Well I got my corner block lugged the heavy lamps to the house and can't see anyway of putting them down outside. Is this a feature not implemented or are they not meant to be used with Row Lots. When I bought them I think it just mentioned you must have a property (which is what I consider a Row Lot).

Did I waste my money in the store on these, now bank idle lamps?

Again apologies if this has been discussed here or in an official update, I did a quick search and got nothing.

Acred likes this.
  2. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Row lot size have one slot for external light at the moment, so you should be able to place one.

Once they find a good way to optimize the dynamic lighting, the maximum external light maybe increase.

Don't worry too much if your thoughts is a repost or not. If it is, people will let you know and may even send the link to continue the chained discussion if it is a hot topic.

DancingShade, Acred and deonast like this.
  3. Selene

Selene Avatar

It might depend on which row house you're using. Some types have more "front porch" than others. The pledge stone houses have the smallest of all, and I wouldn't be surprised if a streetlamp didn't fit with those.

4. deonast

deonast Avatar

Thanks Roycestein Kaelstrom. Hmm I'll try again to see if I can get one of the lights on the outside. I couldn't seem to get that happening the other day. Will have a wait a while to try, my client is downloading the latest update only at 11% so at this rate might be a few more hours before I can try again (Australian broadband is a bit dire).

Acred and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  5. Roycestein Kaelstrom

In worst case scenario, you should be able to put these lamps for sale. Since it looks much nicer than the crafted ones, I'm sure there is a market for it.

DancingShade, Acred and deonast like this.
  6. deonast

deonast Avatar

x_Selene_x. It's the 4 Story blue tile house on this page https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085#tab-homes I guess in my own mind I had thought I could put some on the side as well but I guess it probably was never designed like that. Though I didn't seem to have much luck on the front either.

Acred likes this.
  7. deonast

deonast Avatar

Guess I could try and put them on sale, I see in the store they have some that are meant to attach to a house inside or outside "Ornate Iron Wall Light 3-Pack" perhaps I would have had better luck getting them happening. Though it may not allow them to be put on the side of the house if they designed the house just to cater to those slotting them in beside other buildings.

Acred likes this.
  8. Roycestein Kaelstrom

For the row lot deed size, you won't be able to put anything on the side of the building, but with that blue tile house, you should be able to a lamp on either the left or right empty space. The one in the front might be too close to the borderline.

Also just to make sure, are you inside your house lot area? You should see the green line showing your lot designated area if you move deco item out of your inventory. If not then you're outside your lot zone and need to move closer.

That 3x ornate light torches has its perk because you can place them in your house while the street lamps are exterior only.

Acred and Phiedrus Oliva like this.
  9. deonast

deonast Avatar

Yes I was thinking the same thing about those 3x ornate light torches as I probably could do with lighting inside. Shame I didn't get those to start with (can't remember if they were out at the time).
    I thought I was pretty close to the house when trying to place them and tried right up against the front wall. That said I'll give it another go with one when I can get back in. Which may not be tonight 16% downloaded now of the update. Man it is slower when you watch it update :)

Acred likes this.
  10. deonast

deonast Avatar

Maybe I should have pledged higher and gone village lot (hindsight is always a little too late).

Acred likes this.
  11. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Note that there's a limit on external light sources you can place - the limit for a row lot is one light source, I didn't check on my village lot. This is a performance thing and the limit will likely be increased with time. I have the same house you do but currently only have a torch on the outside of that, I was able to place a Kobold street lamp outside my other row home.

Also check that the entire lamp fits inside your lot area, you may need to rotate it (with Q and E, hold Ctlr for 45 degree increments) so that it fits.

I'm hoping that they restore the ability to place street lights in basements which will make them more useful, my general advice would be to not sell off pledge or add-on items based on current functionality because there may be changes before release which will make them more useful (unless you get a really good deal, of course ;)).

Acred and deonast like this.
  12. deonast

deonast Avatar

Ah, thanks for that I didn't know about the Q, E and Ctlr. That might do the trick getting one down in the front. I was thinking maybe once it is placed I'd have an option to turn it. I guess I spent too much time over the last few days grinding up my skills with a few types of weapons so that I don't totally suck with them (-30 something percent hit on each weapon type until I get more experience with them. I've only just started playing, I often pledge for kickstarters and never get a chance to play due to lack of time (so I've just been eating into my sleep time a little this week, reducing from 4 or 5 hours to 2 or so hours sleep).

I need to get my basement up and running too. I have a 5 story one but hadn't realised until I read some forums that you need to buy a hatch in order to place it (wish they actually said that in the store when you buy this stuff or just sell them with a hatch).

Acred likes this.
  13. Gadfrey Zukes

Gadfrey Zukes Avatar

yes. you can find a cheap hatch on npc vendors. I know they are available in owls head above the bank and i got one in resolute.

14. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

If you bought a basement you may have a hatch in your bank already, check there first. I bought two add-on basements and also got a basement with the pledge and with the POT village lot and I got two free hatches, so I'm not sure which of the things came with a free hatch, but it's worth checking.

15. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I have had streetlamps outside such row houses in previous releases.
    So I would bet that it is the rotation that will make it happen for you.

Otherwise if you made the wrong purchase - I have both types and a need for both types so if it makes another player more happy then I could easily trade one of yours for one of the ornate wall mounted ones.
    If so let me know.

I am Spoon in game and you can friend me to see when I'm online. (After the accept as usual).
    /friend Spoon

16. 3dmark

3dmark Avatar

I have a stone row house, and have been unable to place a streetlight in front of it, no matter how I rotate and place. Can't say anything about a blue-roof house.

17. Zosaria

Zosaria Avatar

Yeah you wont be able to place any of the streetlights from the addon shop on a row house, the same goes for the street signs only one of those will work.

"I have only tested this on the viking row house"

Acred, 3dmark and deonast like this.
  18. deonast

deonast Avatar

Good point, I'll take another look through my bank list to see if I have just overlooked it, which is quite possible there was a lot of stuff I redeemed all at once.

54% now of the game updating so at this rate I think it will be another 3 hours before I get to check out some of the great tips in this thread. I guess I could try out that foreign thing called sleep. Nah wasted time I'll do something else.

Acred likes this.
  19. deonast

deonast Avatar

Thanks Spoon I'll keep that in mind, when I get back into the game after updates.

Acred likes this.
  20. deonast

deonast Avatar

Thanks Gadfrey. If a double check of my bank reveals no hatch I'll take a trip on the map to one of those places.
    ---- Edit --- turns out I had one in the bank all along and didn't notice it. Maybe it came with the house or basement deed

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    DancingShade and Acred like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.