Gold is a problem now

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2112Starman, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

You guys went to far with the gold nurf. I did my normal 5 skull farm run and only made at most 1500 gold. I think you guys had good intentions. There is no doubt that players who can play this game 24x7 were probably making way to much gold and you have moved to counter that, but I think you have made it far to hard for casual players to make money in the game. I work 50 hours a week and I know how to make gold and I personally dont feel pinched to much for gold, but I think you guys have made it really difficult for more casual players then I to get gold, probably not near enough to cover their expenses in game. You have put the game in a parlous situation, you will need to find a way to limit 24x7 and hard core players gold while giving newer players and casuals a chance.

2. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Agree 100%.

Solazur, Cordelayne, Lockey2 and 14 others like this.
  3. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Any game ever done that before?

And where do we draw the line...Boris who only gets to play 4 hrs a day complains about Cecil who plays 6...not fair.....then poor Edith moans about Boris as she can only put in 2 hrs a day.....then old Jason, can only play at weekends and feels hard done by as Edith gets to play EVERY day.....then Simon, who works a lot moans about Jason as he can only play at odd weekends.....and then....The people who are time rich could quite as easily complain that the people that work and have more $$ should have a limit on how much they can spend in the store....No artificial limitations on one group, whatever the group...all in same boat, as all have advantages and disadvantages.

A skill cap is a possible solution that will allow all players to be within a margin of each other with the chance for all to get to the same level in time. But for playing the game and making gold there should not be any limitation as of course the more $$ rich, time constrained folk can always purchase more gold in the store, likely much more efficiently than time to grind it for sure.

But i do agree with you on the gold amount at moment.
    Just done a tour of Greymark which the mobs have got a lot harder but drop rubbish. Usually a run around nets about 4k+ and took about 40 mins or so, and was fun. This time took an hour and i made 800gp, so im thinking its at least a 500% drop decrease.
    I have been stating up till now a new player can easily afford a property....i will have to backtrack on that now.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  4. Selene

Selene Avatar

I agree that the devs are starving us for gold a little bit currently, but it'll all be adjusted eventually. I suspect this is to try and redistribute some of the large sums of gold people managed to make at the beginning. See if there is something else to do to have fun.... Explore some other aspect, like playing instruments or book writing. No use banging your head against a wall and getting burnt out on the game trying to grind 3x as long to make the same amount of gold.

5. Leinad Laurelwreath

Leinad Laurelwreath Avatar

I wonder if gold loot can be calculated including some "hours-played-a-week" factor.
    I'd do that to avoid this problem so if i play 24x7 i don't earn the same gold rate as if i play only 10 hours per week. Of course i'd get much more money with 24x7 but not a ridiculous huge amount of money.

However this might be (another) temporal solution so maybe in next release we can get more gold again, balancing is a long windy road!

Mazirian and Cally like this.
  6. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

I agree and they have to remember the casuals will probably make up most of the playerbase. Not the people that can play all day long.

7. Selene

Selene Avatar

I'm not a huge fan of anything that punishes people for playing the game more. The more you tell people to "go play something else" the more likely they are to get caught up in that game and not come back.

8. Leinad Laurelwreath

It should work similar to what happens with XP. You just don't advance levels that fast when u're high leveled, so gold shouldn't be that easy either; however the key is calculating those ratings so we don't scare them and send the message "go play something else". I think SotA has much more things to keep us playing than just being the richest Avatar around!
    Anyway, the problem with gold loot would be the same as with resources so my "solution" isn't even great

9. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

First hour burst for XP, loot, gathering, no?
    Not punishment but boost for first hour as we once had if I remember right...

Nadomir, Chatele, Snazz and 7 others like this.
  10. Retlaw

Retlaw Avatar

So, and this is just my thought, but if no one can make as much gold, won't that just drive prices of things down? I know there are some things in game at 'fixed prices' but the majority of purchased items are player created. So if the raw mats are lower, crafting items could be lower, and I won't have to pay 500g for a chair anymore.

Bom, Chatele, Black Tortoise and 4 others like this.
  11. Leinad Laurelwreath

Yes i think the idea for this release is exactly that, lowering prices down

12. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Hopefully lot taxes will go down then too because with these rates right now they are way to high.

Minoc, sammanzhi, Hawkshield and 6 others like this.
  13. redfish

redfish Avatar

People have to realize the people getting rich have tax free deeds. If some people are earning obscene gold, and you think that's a problem, you have to deal with that without crushing people who have to pay taxes.

Though that's difficult to solve unless you lower tax rates. Because if you solve this by penalizing people more, it will penalize the tax payers the most, but if you lower tax rates, you're bringing players closer to each other in burdens.

14. Retlaw

Retlaw Avatar

The tricky part with lot taxes is they have to balance at character high level to mean anything, which I 100% agree is a huge struggle when you are first starting out. However, I am also in the camp that thinks everyone should not have access to everything on day one.

15. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

i dont really have a problem with the amount of gold per hour that most scenes ive visted give at the moment.

that being said as more of the loot system comes on line i am sure we will find more interesting things being added for us to sell to other player or use an not just vendor.

i am sure we will see new recipies added that will also help with this.

as for taxes i am not sure i am not a land owner and have not really looked into taxes that much but i dont have a problem if someone is being forced to grind or work hard to support owning land. it should not be easy for someone to own a large amount of properties and play just a few hours a week.

but you should be able to pay your taxes on your single lot rather easily with that amount of time invested but 2 or more should be pretty hard to balance.

Bom and Earl Atogrim von Draken like this.
  16. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

People should also not forget that those people who play 24x7 and are hard core also probably have alt accounts. They can farm their high level gold areas with their mains and stick their alt in Hilt and slowly farm Silver for the entire day and use/sell that for even more!

17. Leinad Laurelwreath

Good! More accounts sold, more funding! Now, you're right, we can't win

18. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

24/7 players deserve to be rich in game. Why would we throttle them?

If Portalarium reviews the new data and feels the nerf was too extreme I'm sure they will dial it back up a bit.

Bom, Net, Black Tortoise and 4 others like this.
  19. Phiedrus Oliva

Phiedrus Oliva Avatar

The property taxes were calculated according to the average income.
    How come the gold income is nerfed but not the taxes in the same ratio immediately?

Cynesta, Aldo, helm and 9 others like this.
  20. Krissa Lox

Krissa Lox Avatar

I think perhaps the wrong thing is being expected and asked for. Gold generated by selling loot to NPCs should be trivial. It is in every game I know, and it's player-to-player sales that are tuned to make a decent income. So I don't think the problem is really that gold generation got nerfed, but that loot tables don't yet offer much of value in the player-to-player market so adventuring is disproportionately unprofitable compared to harvesting, crafting, and merchanting. Adventurers need to be gaining more interesting and desirable stuff that other players will buy.

Elwyn, Bom, MIdnightvalkyrie and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.