Is there enough Gold in game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Earl Atogrim von Draken, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

It works like this, a tax free lot with a commision free vendor is an asset, that makes money eventually no matter where in the world it is located.
    A taxable lot, with a commision vendor on it, is a huge expense, and if it doesn't have access to lots of walkby shoppers will never pay for it's own upkeep.

Personally if I didn't have a tax free lot, I would just live out of the bank, and public vendors. (but I have a huge bank, because of the retroactive blank slot upgrade "gift")

Right now the best thing you can do, is buddy up with someone, either a guild or friend and get access to a chest and vendor on the lot.
    This will drastically reduce your living costs and give you a way to store/sale items cheaply.

Pikuko, 4EverLost and Kaisa like this.
  2. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Yeah I have a tax free lot as well but if I didn't I would probably just live out of the bank as well and not bother to try and win a lot deed.

3. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

The only reason I can see trying to win a taxable deed, would be to sell it to other players.

Pikuko, Scraps MacMutt and Kaisa like this.
  4. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

That seems to be the only good use of getting one right now. Even then I would save my money and use it for other things rather then a raffle ticket right now.

5. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Gathering is my best source of crafting XP. I run into Graff and get a few 10s of thousands of xp at a time. Though, I do have everything but foraging locked at 40, and field dressing at 60. But I'm a tailor, so field and forage are my main interest points. Locking the other skills lets me tap them at my leisure for XP. Higher skills would let me mine quicker and maybe get more resources to sell off. But I decided growth > gold for the moment. Meaningful decisions are great.

6. Sarg

Sarg Avatar

The BMC price list was roughly double what things should be worth even before R33. People still resist shaking pre-wipe views on pricing as irrelevant, reducing their numbers 10% here, 15% there. When in fact, the numbers should be more like 50-60%. Time should correct it, as long as people don't start quitting because of it.

I would absolutely buy resources that allow me to craft finished products that my customers can afford, but no one is selling at those prices. So I spend hours a day gathering everything personally instead.

Net and Kaisa like this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Totally agree with your thoughts Thexedor Markhamm, however....
    We have a ton of people playing today that have tax free deeds. When it was easy to make money in the 1000's per hour, I personally feel like this was ok because players could make 5 to 10 times as much as they needed for tax money in a single hour. But now that's not true. Now players might need to spend multiple hours to cover the cost of one day's taxes. For those that don't have taxes, like me, it's not as big of an impact, but for those that do have taxes it's a huge burden.

Now some would immediately say that the "man" has to lower tax rates to make this a more fair playing field. I'm not convinced that shouldn't happen, but then you'd have to ask why did all these people pay RL money for something that doesn't provide a meaningful benefit? This would certainly impact buying behaviors for episode II and beyond, and make a some people rightfully angry in my opinion.

So what's the answer to that?

I think for starters we have to begin looking at the economy as a TIME vs. MONEY problem, as well as a TIME to obtain MONEY problem. Here's what I mean:

It doesn't do anyone any good to just cut the amount of gold a single person can farm in an hour across the board because there are some people that have more TIME than others, and still other people that have more MONEY than others. This doesn't make the economy any more fair, it just increases the value of TIME and MONEY. For people that lack one or both of those things, the game becomes very hard, very quickly.

In addition, we have the TIME it takes to obtain this MONEY playing a key factor in balancing the economy as well. If it takes me 5 hours to make 5k killing mobs, but it only takes you (for example) 3 hours to gather resources that can be sold for 7k to players on the open market, that's very problematic. I know crafters will hate me saying this, but I think the time it takes to gather resources has to be longer than it takes to kill mobs. The reason for this is because I believe the grinders should be coming back with pockets full of money that they spend on produced goods and services. If gatherers can make more money more quickly than grinders, then the inventory will be so high that we'll have rampant inflation. To prevent this, I think that gathering resources should be very time intensive to make the price go up (paying out well) but also making it hard to get resources when you need them.

I don't think any of the dungeon areas or scenes have been balanced in this way. I think the devs plopped stuff down in places that looked "cool" and then went on to make the next scene. But what really needs to happen is someone needs to test each scene to determine how long it takes to get in and remove all the resources (ore, gems, cotton, reagents, etc) and go back to market and sell them. They then need to compare that to someone going in and killing everything and selling that stuff. If the time it takes the gatherer that's primarily ignoring the mobs or just killing them to keep them out of the way is shorter, that's a problem with the fine tuning of the economy, imo.

So there's really a ton of balancing left to do, and we're in for a wild ride.

8. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Once prices go down on public vendors (and they will because no one want to keep losing the free money every time something doesn't sell) we'll have this fixed.

Sarg likes this.
  9. Sarg

Sarg Avatar

I agree. Just so long as people tough it out and don't give up.

The devs have made clear what they think the average player "should" be earning once they get some experience under their belt - around 3.5k to 5k in a day. Once people start valuing gold coins at something akin to that, there will be a lot less discontent with the economy. But as long as people look at 2k gold and think "what a pittance for my hour's work!" then there will be morale issues. I just hope people push through.

Prices will come down. They have to: crafters want to sell you stuff; gatherers want to sell stuff to crafters. No one wants to sit on a stack of gear or resources waiting for a non-existent whale to come along and buy goods - except maybe rares merchants, and no one needs that stuff anyhow. But by the same token, sellers don't want to be "taken advantage of" either, so people tend to price just under what they see others pricing. Given 7 day public vendor times, it takes a while for all this to sort itself out.

Forseti likes this.
  10. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

Great thoughts, sorry I've truncated your message. Devs talked about balancing loot tables for a long time. I am glad they finally started doing it and closing the loopholes. We are in the alpha, after all, so there will be quite a few more 'balance' patches. People, who took advantage of exploits and loopholes already, may of course end up being the 'rich ones', but their money will soon find rotation into the money sink. Balancing MMOs is always a process like this, except, not many devs open the game to public, unless very important game features are already taken care of. This promotes gold selling, explots, money hoarding etc. Things will balance out next few months, I believe.

Sarek likes this.
  11. Sarek

Sarek Avatar

Strolled through owls head and saw stuff six to eight times the price I have, laughed and moved on.

12. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

I sold some +5 socketed 2H weapons for 4000ish. I know the materials sell for double that plus the chance to destroy it completely... But I also know how long it takes for the average joe to farm 4k

Used to be able to AoE farm camps of Thugs and Fighters and come back overweight and 2-3k richer. 5 skull zone so it's not easy until you have decent gear and a solid build. Too bad my AoE is broken now. 0 dmg ><

13. Raxhelm

Raxhelm Avatar

I just ran through Greymark in R33. Or rather I am still in it. What the fHell happened!!! It's a sissy level now with little gold. Wizards everywhere that give you one pearl or ash! ONE!

14. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

taxes should be a sliding scale : if you only play 4 hrs a week, your taxes that week is X and maybe more if you log on more hours. That would certainly stop a lot of loitering :)
    Yet, the game sometimes seems to be best taken in a 45 minute burst - enough to whup stuff and get overloaded and wobble to town. longer than that it gets to be a grind. It'll balance out and everything will make sense soon. That's a load off my mind :)

I was hoarding, but i did buy two augmented AEROFLOT armour for 666 (awesome price) and then two pieces from Iceblade, so buyers are coming out little by little.

THE HENDOMAN

15. Net

Net Avatar

This seems they finally managed to balance the income. I think the rent for row house was based on one hour of gameplay per day? There were ways to make way too much gold easily. I hope that i nthe future it will not matter whether you are fighting archers, skeletons, or wolves, or just mine and harvest. Each activity should generate similar income for similar effort. I am bit sad that there are no wipes anymore and that the line of what is using exploit and what is using temporarily broken game mechanics is so blurry, so in the first few months some people will get very rich and it might take years for things to balance out.

DancingShade and 4EverLost like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.