Gold is a problem now

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2112Starman, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Absolutely agree, that is the whole point of this thread.

2. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Give them more feedback on what level you are, what zone you are in (how many skull), then let them adjust it at this point.

3. Phiedrus Oliva

Phiedrus Oliva Avatar

They founded the tax in their deep study of the gold income. They shouldn't need any players numbers which, anyway, will always be biased.

Bom likes this.
  4. Leeford

Leeford Avatar

Guess this is the way they introduce "foreclosure" to the housing system

Dung, Fionwyn Wyldemane and Kaisa like this.
  5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I won't be able to buy crafted armor as soon as I wanted.. oh well.. oh and I can't feed my crafters as much stuff either, because I have reagents to buy.. hmm........... and no more pvp until I get stronger or find a better way to make money because ransom (and did I read somewhere ransom has increased in costs as well??).. do they want us all to craft and sell crafted goods on vendors? maybe.......... time for all to become crafters :rolleyes:

6. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

500 gold per hour was the intended earn. They said 1 hour a week for a row lot and 1 hour a day for a city.

Not saying I like it, just saying I think this was the goal.

Bom and Charlesscott1103 like this.
  7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Me thinks you did not understand the OP.

8. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

I understood just fine, it's hard online for a casual player..

What I mean to say is, if you made it so you could get a mill per hour, but only for one hour per day, the 247 gamers are just going to make 24 characters and change their IP's 24 times per day... there is no real fix for it.

Bom and Bluefire like this.
  9. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Yep he should be sure not to mention how he is making all that gold or he will find it nerfed into the ground as well.

Aldo and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  10. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

For those who have played this game for the past 2 and a half years, you already know that whenever the Devs feel the need to adjust something, they tend to swing from one extreme to another as they find that 'sweet spot' in terms of balance. I expect that we will see some more tweaking of loot/gold drops, etc. until they feel that it's right where it should be. I'm not too overly concerned about the state in which it is presently.

Bom, Thwip, helm and 6 others like this.
  11. Balor Goldwine

Balor Goldwine Avatar

I jumped head first into the game and was very excited about the prospects, but I'm losing confidence daily. When they nerf something, they go nuclear on it, and everyone says, "Oh, they'll balance it out."

Every darn thing is "Oh, we'll get right on that."

The game is already a monotonous grind. I realized it's the worst grind I've ever experienced in a game, aside from Everquest.

I logged in last night and immediately noticed the gold nerf. I burned through a couple thousand gold in regs, got under $1k in loot.

I mined for a bit. Got bored. Pulled out my spider... he dies in a flash. Pulled out an air elemental. Giggled at how useless he was.

So I couldn't go grind for gold and loot. Loot is pathetic. There's no mystery. Every type of mob has the same crap. No random deco items, no repair kits, no components... nothing. I asked some folks if they wanted to do Sanctus, for yet another mindless grind, but no takers.

I sat back and realized I had nothing to do that felt worthwhile. I could go kill bears over and over and over, as if my 2000 hides in the bank weren't enough. I could go mine... but I just made a new suit. I could grind for two weeks straight to get silver to practice masterworking, or I can say, "Hey, Jim, can you hit this for me quick? Thanks, yeah, crit chance... great." Guess I'll skip that.

So, yeah. Not even sure if I'm going to log in today. It was fun to roam around with my spider, send him after and archer while I pound down two other mobs, then go bail him out. They made taming worthless, so that's out.

I tried hoarding gold so I wouldn't be pinching pennies, and now I'm afraid to spend anything because gold is harder to come by. I spent $75k on spiders previously. That was a great investment.

At least the game is stable and doesn't leak memory until it crashes my system. Oh, wait...

So I sat down and thought, "What did you like about previous games?" Well, in UO there'd be all sorts of random loot. Some good, some useless, but it was random. I would hoard useful items in chests in my house. Literally sift through dozens or hundreds of rings looking for one that meshed with my other gear. I could pull out my Runebook and think, "Where do I want to go today?"

I've run out of things to do in this game. Another six hours in Sanctus will send me into therapy. Greymark is a waste of time. Bears are boring. And it would appear no regular mobs can outpace reg usage compared to gold intake.

I could try to get a group together to do The Rise, but the XP is mediocre, and the dragon drops nothing.

At the very least, when I used to go and grind, I could at least sell a pack full of crap and get some gold, with the glorious idea that I could buy something cool. Can't even do that anymore.

MetricPig, Nataurz, Thwip and 7 others like this.
  12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Agreed 100%, this thread is here to let them know they went to far to the extreme and need to dial back (before loosing new players like the guy who posted right before this).

13. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

perhaps its time to change the way you view scenes.

from grinding mobs for gold to grinding scenes for materals to sell to crafters or to craft yourself things to sell.

this is a sand box player economy and getting away from the grind mobs for loot to vendor to the find things to sell other players model is somthing i am happy to see.

anyways nothings going to be perfect on first pass but i realize this is the interwebs and we have nothing better to do but complain :)

give it a month and see how loot looks next release pretty sure we will see some nice things start to appear in it over the course of the next few months.

Elwyn, Bom, Black Tortoise and 3 others like this.
  14. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Actually I think that is the intent, with the resource spawn timers getting drastically upped, My guess is they are trying to adjust the market so that 1k is what 10k was last week.
    However people are highly resistant to falling prices, those of us that have cash are just going to sit on it until we know what is going on.
    (yes this causes the same downward spiral that made the great depression after the crash of 29)

I disagree, Adventurers should be a great competitor for most gold earned per hour, without resorting to selling junk to players. High level players should clearly be the most gold per hour. (most risk, most rewards)
    Selling mob drops to other players isn't going to add gold to the system, it's going to at best move it from one player to another, and at worst drain more money out of the economy with listing fees.

The profitability of Gathering, Harvesting, and Merchanting is directly affected by how much "original gold" adventurers create and put into the system.

Aldo, helm, Retlaw and 4 others like this.
  15. Sublime

Sublime Avatar

I am really struggling here. I am more of a new player. As I was playing during release 26 and just started playing again on aug 9th because I could place my house. It's completely pointless right now for me to even bother fighting toughter enemies. I make the same amount of gold I do at the every start of the game same as I do from trying my butt off in a three skull place. I had finally felt like I was making some progress in the game at least making about a 1k every hour... now Its down to at most 500 gold if I'm in the places I probably should be about my level. I don't believe its at all balanced. If I didn't like this game so much and didn't understand that things were changing I probably would just give up. I like hard games. I get that its not supposed to be easy. And I understand that they are still working on this game... I came over to this game for the taming and housing. The only reason I am able to have my home is because I paid enough real cash to have a rent free deed.

Please devs. Fix the gold rate for us younger players. or make it so that there are different items that are more valueable in the high level areas so that there is some point to move forward and explore in the game.

Thank you,
    Sublime.

Thwip, Aldo, Chatele and 2 others like this.
  16. mass

mass Avatar

The result of this nerf should be price deflation. In a week or two, all that have been hording money should be able to get great deals on player vendors. Save some of those commodities until they swing the other way and prices inflate again. Profit.

17. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

That's the tragedy of this whole thing. My earn rate is 1/3 of what it was pre-patch and no one here has owned up with numbers that are even close to what I can still make.

And I find myself still unwilling to give specifics on what I was/am doing Im fear that portalarium will still consider it too fast.

On the tax thing having to put in 30 hours just to afford a house isn't a game, it's a job.

So yeah, I'm hording gold instead of putting it back into the economy.

Thwip, Aldo, uziraff and 3 others like this.
  18. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

This is an actual software design theory. It is harder to gauge small changes, and more work to make a small adjustment, analyze it, make another adjustment and continue to a satisfactory conclusion than it is to just estimate a big swing, overshoot your goal and walk it backward. You never know, your 'big swing' might not be big enough and you've just eliminated all the middle steps in between and saved yourself a lot of time.

[Edit: I said software design theory, but it's even more general than that. Any kind of tuning can be done like this.]

Bom, Thwip, Black Tortoise and 4 others like this.
  19. Unseen [ONBE]

Unseen [ONBE] Avatar

I can say as a newish player who was about to jump into the game, none of this discussion is very encouraging.

Also, I have slightly more credentials in economics and I can say that there a number of principles in economics which simply do not translate into games. Some of this is due to structural differences (time value of money, specialization complexity, time investment, etc...), but also the objectives of each are different. Games are designed to be fun and engaging, something that in all my years of schooling I don't think ever came up in a model :)

Unseen Dragon

Aldo, Kaisa and Fister Magee like this.
  20. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Exactly to make the economy work adventurers need to be able to make a decent amount of gold just from killing mobs.

Aldo and Fister Magee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.