Gold is a problem now

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2112Starman, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

This is an old problem for this genre.

One of the things that I thought a lot of games did fairly well to counter this is a "rest XP" mechanic. For those that grind 24/7, they make XP at a regular rate. For those that are not online that much, they get a small boost. Not enough to make them compare to 24/7 people, but enough to close the gap. So [dodges incoming hate], maybe have some rested XP/gold earning mechanic?

2. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

To make the economy work you need the currency to move between players. Farming mobs is only one small part of it.

Elwyn, Bom, Bluefire and 1 other person like this.
  3. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Yep I think most of us our just hoarding our gold now at least those of us that can. If you have a taxable lot well your kind of screwed right now and like you said the game has become a job for many of those people. I bet many will find themselves either buying COTOs from the store heck some might just say screw it and lose their lots and just quit at this rate :/

4. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Yes I know but I what I meant is its important for adventurers to make enough money so that they can afford to buy things from the crafters for instance

Ice Queen and FrostII like this.
  5. Baliverne

Baliverne Avatar

Yes difficult time for casual player, i stop grinding because its boring for few gold. I Will try some quest and wait for the next release...

Thwip, Ice Queen, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  6. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

I know where you are coming from. I am casual myself and I don't have endless hours in day to grind mobs. There are other ways in SOTA to make money though. Crafting doesn't require as much time, leveling it, however, does. If they are casual, I'd recommend to do something in game that doesn't require a lot of time - gathering and selling resources is one of those things. Crafting is another, but it requires certain commitment.

7. Epiphany

Epiphany Avatar

for a while I was stuck with around 35 - 60g because of crafting. I ended up having to make items that used granite since it doesn't consume any reagents, and put it up on the Public Vendor for cheap since I couldn't really afford to put a higher price. At least some people got a bargain! haha

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Im not having issues with gold myself, The concern is for new players and more casual players. Im actually still sitting on 50K gold with nothing to spend it on.

Ice Queen and Kaisa like this.
  9. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

The other side of things is to have the crafters reduce their prices to meet the lower income of adventurers, which means their cost has to also go down (meaning higher returns in gathering, or lower prices from gatherers) so they can actually make crafting worth their time. 10g from mobs or 100g, it just needs to be balanced.

I think we'll be in the middle of this whole process for a year before it settles down, but it will never completely stay steady.

Kaisa likes this.
  10. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

People thinking that selling crafted items should be the main source of income are missing the other side of the equation.....

Where does the gold come from? Coin drops and vendor trash. Otherwise you are just recycling the same coin.

Same with the CoTO responses. If you could vendor those for a set price sure, but once again the gold is coming from pockets of players.

One should be able to farm a zone for an hour and come out with slightly less gold than what an item sells for at an equal level (or whatever relationship deemed acceptable)

Rich people aren't going to cause huge inflation other than BIS items and trophies. Sure you have to ensure that everyone isn't rich I suppose because then $100 = $1 and you end up with devalued currency.

61% of old value for selling equipment to a big city smith is what the change is. (and a few base values) They did fix some 5 skull mob loot tables

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Ice Queen and Tahru like this.
  11. Selene

Selene Avatar

Port can see everything you do.. Every gold piece, every drop.. You don't have to be afraid to tell others about it for fear Port will find out. They can look at everything we do anyway. :)

Elwyn, Bom, Thwip and 4 others like this.
  12. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

Very few people post on the forums, just the "regulars" so the new players will just leave the game eventually.

13. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Ok... i made a post earlier in this thread about the terrible gold drops now from loot..However i have been out mining and it does seem that for this facet of the game, and i hope other resource gathering parts of it, the rate of spawn has been upped a lot. I have read this is intentional and if so i would like to say it is a good game change to take away money being generated and sold back to the NPC's and a good attempt at kick starting the proper player economy. This will help generate an economy from the gathering to production areas of the game, and with higher tier ores now being found in lower level scenes this allows younger players the opportunity to get involved in the economy and selling things on vendors or through the public vendor.

They don't do things to purposefully pee us off here, they do for the good of the game, mistakes do happen at times but i think the only error here with this nerf too loot drops was to combine it with other bad news (taming) and also maybe a little to much to soon, but i think these changes are needed in the long run to get where i hope we end up, with a player economy where 95% of everything is sold from player to player from base resources to end game items.. I think they have a plan and are making it happen, even though its painful and makes their ears hurt, there getting it done, and that's good for us all in the long run.

Thwip, Fister Magee and 4EverLost like this.
  14. Krissa Lox

Krissa Lox Avatar

Adventurers don't necessarily need gold to accomplish this. They need to be able to obtain items that pure crafters can't obtain on their own and would value highly enough to trade well for. Like making some desirable mats that are only available to dedicated fighters.

As it is, crafters don't need adventurers as much as the other way around, which is going to cause imbalance no matter what loot does.

15. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

I know :) if I didn't make their "possibly making broken gold per day"'list between Sunday and Monday I'll be insulted.

and I wasn't abusing anything just killing a lot and selling a lot for ...let's not count the hours I spent doing that. And it all went to one player merchant for a crafting station

Ice Queen, 4EverLost and FrostII like this.
  16. psteg

psteg Avatar

Really?? I don't like writing a book or playing music. I paid to play this game and have what I call fun. I also have to maintain $2000 a day rent, which now is a complete ripoff. I am very angry about this and did not expect my investments to pay off so little. I hope they fix this mistake very soon.

DepGames, Aldo, Kaisa and 4 others like this.
  17. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

The effort involved in getting the gold is now totally not worth the effort. In many cases you save gold by sitting around twiddling your thumbs. But of course that is if you do not go out and buy their COTA's. Again we have been led down the yellow brick road only to find it is paved with BS. The game rides right now on a fine edge between fun and totally boring and with the recent changes it just leaned a lot more toward the boring side. WHO in making these decisions and what company do they work for because it is becoming difficult to figure out if they are out to make this a better game or destroy it. To go from a typical run of 2500 - 4000 gold, requiring selling of weapons to 750 - 1200 again requiring selling of weapons when at the higher level one was just barely breaking even on Repair Kits, Teleport Scrolls, Recall Scrolls and Reagents. Now I have to stop buying reagents and just use the lower level spells. This does not include any financial help one might want to give to newbies, guilds, armor or weapons. Truthfully I have about had it with trying to force people to spend as much on COTA's a month as it would to charge a monthly fee. At least have the guts to say your crowd funding has failed.

Sadly Disappointed!!

Aldo, Kaisa, Phoebe and 2 others like this.
  18. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

The REALLY funny thing about the increased spawn rates was me telling people that the ores were spawning faster than I could mine them, and then one group of people saying my mining skill was low and they could do it faster (!?), and then another group telling me I was wrong when I said the market for ores was going to drop (?!?). Supply, demand. Too much supply, less demand. Simple economics.

Silver ore in Owl's Head on 8/8/16: 250g each.
    Silver ore in Owl's Head on morning of 8/26/2016: ~99g each.

Doh!

Kaisa and Fister Magee like this.
  19. Phoebe

Phoebe Avatar

A big early driver for silver ore demand was taming whistles and collars. Funnily enough there is no market for those now and people who had silver stashed are offloading it. I do agree that as Adventurers are driven away from the game by over nerfs prices will drop as resource farmers see falling demand.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought one of the main reasons for persistence was to encourage people to keep playing regularly ? It seems to me that nearly all the major changes in R33 are going to stop people playing, certainly until future releases. I was discussing the game on a major MMO site today and while I answered specific questions and wasn't negative there is no way I could recommend to anyone to join in the game right now.

Elwyn, agra and Fister Magee like this.
  20. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

There is always something to spend your money on, it's all about your priorities though. You can always have more of this or that, more decorations, more lottery tickets, more of this or that... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.