Gold is a problem now

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2112Starman, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Modu

Modu Avatar

With people able to farm resources easily in friends only mode - how does the new player get in on that market? I just joined as of R32 and yeah I see the public vendor but anything I can get people are also selling in mass quantities. It costs A LOT of my money to by recipes to craft anything, and I can't really sell what I gather or loot for much profit (if any).

If it's so easy to get resources, and the price of entry to crafting is so high to the new player (yeah, 250g per recipe is ridiculously expensive for me right now), what is a new player supposed to do? I've been trying to save up what I can and still have some "fun". I agree with the above statements, the game, currently, at first glance, appears to be yet another second job MMO.

Kaisa and FrostII like this.
  2. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

Thinking about what one is doing and the consequences afterward when writing code is pretty important too.

Phiedrus Oliva, Kaisa, Peabo and 2 others like this.
  3. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

Yep and of course its working, because so many are just so happy to keep throwing money away.

FrostII likes this.
  4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Apparently you didn't watch the video presented earlier in another thread...

Watch it, your pain will miraculously disappear as you venture into the world of supply and demand... SotA style.

Things should be tougher than they currently are, because - well.... Adam says it's great.

Hang in there guy and with any luck - other voices will prevail. :cool:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  5. Gnarxly

Gnarxly Avatar

Well, making conclusion without having all the knowledge never really works very good.
    You don't have to buy any recipe to craft something. You just have to put the correct materials on the table. Just ask Uncle Google if you don't like feedling with mats or spending money.
    And honestly if a game feels like a second job than you probably shouldn't be playing, but remember it's all in your head.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Insulting, to say the least.
    Don't think he wants to spend half his time on Google.
    Shouldn't be necessary, now should it ?

Gamician likes this.
  7. Gnarxly

Gnarxly Avatar

It's not necessary. You can pay for recepies, ask friends ingame, fiddle with mats and search for recepies like a true alchemist... All the options are there, but as per usual, people would prefer to get handed everything.

8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

lmao

Gamician likes this.
  9. Modu

Modu Avatar

Can you re-link it? I skimmed over the thread and I don't see the OP posting any videos.

10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

He has got a point.
    This discussion turned into a great-equalizer discussion.
    We have to stop people with to much hard cash! was the Titel of the last release.
    Now we got We have to stop people with too much time because they could get too good too soon and earn too much Gold!

What the hell is wrong with some of us here Oo?
    Online communism anybody?

11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Gonna edit that post.... Different thread.

12. disastorm

disastorm Avatar

There has never been any online games that stop people from getting too much cash, its entirely normal for online game currency to inflate pretty quickly, I'm not sure why so many people were concerned about this issue. They should revert the gold drops back to how it was before.

*note i havn't actually played much this release so didn't notice there was a gold rate decrease. I'm just going by what people in the thread are saying.

Kaisa likes this.
  13. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

I'm curious as to how people can turn COTO's into gold if people are not generating the gold to buy them.

FrostII, agra and Thwip like this.
  14. helm

helm Avatar

Well, it might be harder to chill out if someone is facing eviction from his/her lot carefully picked after the land rush, because of the extreme balancing strategy that the devs are using, with no word from the devs about what they are going to do, and when.

For example, a taxed village lot bought from the store costs 7000/week in taxes, even a row costs 3500/week. There is currently no way for a beginning player who is able to play only a few hours a week to achieve that. How about if one gets sick, or is otherwise unable to play at all for several weeks? The grace period does not last forever. It's not a good situation.

Personally, I'm perfectly fine financially, but worried about players who are just beginning and have a taxable lot. @Chris

Black Tortoise, FrostII and Kaisa like this.
  15. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

If the gold cost from fighting is going to be trivial, than expenses for fighting should also be trivial.
    It is costing me more to kill a monster in reagent burn than money/loot that it drops.
    I have no problem with the value of the loot that it drops - if you want it to be crap, let it be crap.
    But lets go reduce all reagent npc costs by an equal increment to the gold per hour reduction.#
    Last patch I could make 10k/hr and spent 3k on regs. This patch I can make 1k/hr and spend 3k on regs.
    Again an example of going from 1 extreme to the other.

I'm not asking to be a millionaire, I just want to break even when I go out to fight.

16. Kwambo

Kwambo Avatar

Well now ; I don't like the reduction of gold earned now , but since that's how it is I just have to adapt to it .

I had just started doing two-skull areas the day before r33 and was getting around 700 gold or so per clear . Yesterday that dropped to 250'ish gold . I must admit I felt a bit despondent and logged out . I spent some time thinking negative thoughts .. do I want to continue playing etc .
    Fortunately I managed to find a silver lining :) : I realized that I actually enjoyed the fact that the game threw a curve ball at me and forced me to have to re-evaluate and come up with new strategies .
    I am putting my crafting training on hold ; the NPC bought components are simply too great a gold drain for me right now . Also although I really really want a house of my own and have been looking forward to the lot raffle since the day I arrived I will not be buying a ticket . Now I am only homeless , with a taxable plot I may soon be penniless as well .

Still , I am confident that the devs are keeping a close eye on what is happening and a further favourable adjustment may be in the offing . This is still pre release so it's all good IMO .

Elwyn, FrostII, Thwip and 2 others like this.
  17. helm

helm Avatar

Just to be clear, I think it's perfectly all right to be extreme in the financial adjustments concerning stuff like the cost of repairs, arrows, reagents etc. Those kinds of adjustments will eventually balance themselves out, no matter how the devs set them. Granted, they might be somewhat annoying, and slow down advancement, but those are not really inflicting permanent harm to anyone.

However
    , it's an entirely different game when discussing housing, when someone has perhaps bought a lot-containing bundle with $$, then spent days researching for optimal placement during the land rush (a one time opportunity), only to find himself being unable to pay the cost of the lot upkeep in the long run, because devs are doing experiments with the game balance.

I think Chris mentioned somewhere that one should be able to pay the weekly upkeep of a taxable row lot with roughly one hour of normal gameplay. This is not so currently, far from it. While these extreme adjustments are ongoing, I think Portalarium should provide and extension to the grace period.

18. Lumajo

Lumajo Avatar

Reverse this change with immediate effect, I have a job and family not like a basement dweller who can grind 24/7. :(

19. BoMbY

BoMbY Avatar

That's a systematic problem. The problem is there is no economic simulation with a real money flow/creation. Gold coins are spawned at a given rate, and destroyed at another given rate. If you spent money on NPC vendors, or other things, it is taken out of the system, but this rate is usually much lower, so the overall amount of gold is constantly growing. You only have to destroy a little bit gold for crafting, and for keeping a house (if you don't got it with free tax). Also even if you had an economic simulation, you would've some inflation, because that's what's happening in the real world - our financial system is build on the believe in constant growth (which is an illusion).

20. moko

moko Avatar

I found the reduction of loot income to be quite painful, too, but I've adapted by a) using less reagent expeding skills and b)selling more gathered resources - at lowered prices - to players. This way so far I've still been able to turn a profit and even do the 1h play/rent for a row lot metrics. I'm reserving judgment on this change until I see what impact it has on the economy in game.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    Thwip likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.