In regards to housing...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Charlesscott1103, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlesscott1103

Charlesscott1103 Avatar

2. Charlesscott1103

Charlesscott1103 Avatar

Nobody agrees?

sammanzhi likes this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I agree ;)

BiggieD, Solazur, Chatele and 6 others like this.
  4. Charlesscott1103

Charlesscott1103 Avatar

Thank you! Casual players can not afford a row or a village at 500g or 1000g A DAY! to have a home! In my opinion it should be marked down about 75%!

5. zyxe

zyxe Avatar

Agreed. It's a bit too high for the game after final wipe when the housing rush started and players didn't have time to gather resources before getting a lot. It would be great if the first month was half off at least, give players some time to gather, if not reduce the rent a bit permanently.

Solazur, MagiK, DorothyOz and 2 others like this.
  6. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

So happy to see a reference to this :-D

Personally I dont think its so bad. I have one tax free lot, and two taxable lots. My account came with a lot of COTOs and I bought a lot more during the telethon. I consider myself owning a lot of property in the game (and Im well aware that there are institutions that have orders of magnitude more lots than I), and I think the game has a right to make sure I am utilizing all that space.

After all, we expect people to come flooding in to play this awesome game we all love, right?

So for a small sum and monetary thumbs up to Port, I have enough COTOs to secure my rents for over a year IRL. I also have that lords scepter thingy and can "bless" one of my lots down to half its price each month, so I may have a bias :-/. In any event, I think the concept of land ownership in this online community is a serious thing, and the game should enforce that by making sure its users are active, or supportive of the company as best you can.

Heres the next bit - they haven't yet implemented renting rooms.

So as we stand right now - yea, I think the taxes are a little high. But thats because server population is low and most active players have lots (I base that assumption on nothing whatsoever :cool:). Once our beloved game gets cooler and cooler, more players will come, and then that number of active players / number of lot owners ratio will become much more disproportional. The value of real estate will go up, and justification for regular player "activity" far more sensible.

Once room rentals are implemented - and our game becomes the most played game of all time (dream with me or it wont happen ;)) - the value of lot ownership will be astounding. At this point, players should expect to have some big data algorithm determining the most desirable locales in New Britannia, and some AI will be dictating market value of real estate to our Lot Deed screens, and our lot rental fees may fluctuate with the tides of player demands. When this game becomes heavily populated, the rent fees as they are now are quite reasonable :D.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Charlesscott1103 likes this.
  7. mercster

mercster Avatar

Yeah, I'm casual (actually super-casual lately, I need to explore around Brittany, find some 1-2 skull areas) and no way I could afford tax. Glad I got a tax free lot.

Duffy, zyxe and Charlesscott1103 like this.
  8. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

The first house (particularly row houses) should have a very low tax value. Currently the greater the number and bigger houses the tax increases; but, the entry price really should be low enough for semi-casual players to achieve.

Yeah yeah, I know people can make 10K in five minutes with their wizard that has +3 underpants; but, get real. Most just don't have a pair of those underpants.

9. Charlesscott1103

Charlesscott1103 Avatar

I like dealing in facts. Fact is the devs have nerfed SOO many ways of making gold. Currently my guild is searching for the next best place and the only think we can find is geared towards the extremely high adventure level players (65+). Row deeds are 500g a day. This is still insane.
    My suggestion would be row lots down to 100g a day. Thats still 3k a month. Village could be 250g a day, and so forth so on Towns at 450-500, city around 1000-1250..you guys get my drift. That sounds WAY more reasonable to me.
    What I see going here is a way for Portalarium to ensure people are buying CoTo off the SoTo store so they can keep their houses.

BiggieD, Kaisa and Ice Queen like this.
  10. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I agree, I think the current rates weekly not daily if loot continues to be nerfed to only being worthy of salvageables.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    Cordelayne, BiggieD, Leelu and 3 others like this.
  11. Godra

Godra Avatar

The part I don't understand is how the tax is set and what I was led to believe. I swore I thought I either read something or saw in a video that the way they wanted to keep too many lots in one account was to tax higher with each lot owned. So if you have a single lot your tax was low. You place 5 lots, your tax would be higher and higher as you go up as you claim them. They wanted to keep you from owning too many lots and you would not be able to keep up with the taxes because it was too high.

I do understand that the current tax rate is too high for the casual player who does not have the time to spend generating gold and it looks like the gold generated in game has just took a nose dive in this past release. Sorry, but just like RL, the rich get richer and the poor just get pissed on. This economy in game is not geared towards us casual players right now. I may need to wait for the offline mode to enjoy SOTA.

12. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

One way to smooth this out is to have daily to get you a certain amount of gold. Power players might make more than this using other means. But it would provide an alternative means to work a debt off.

Charlesscott1103 likes this.
  13. Charlesscott1103

Charlesscott1103 Avatar

Bump! Lets get more positive feedback!

14. Travitar

Travitar Avatar

I agree the costs are too high, BUT.... maybe all of this will be offset by renting out rooms. I could see 50 gold rooms (in some cases) being used to help offset cost for the owner of a 3500 city lot for example. Cheap space for those that can't play much or are super casual, and help in paying for the rent for some enterprising landlords.

Melissa likes this.
  15. glantor

glantor Avatar

Is the Rental's System implemented yet? If not, when? I would love to rent out my place, but I feel a lot of players won't dare to rent until they get some assurance their landlord won't just take their stuff and leave them hanging.

16. Travitar

Travitar Avatar

I want to rent out rooms as well, but I wouldn't do it unless I had complete protection against them, and they had complete protection against me.

edit: For all intents and purposes, the room should be THEIRS as long as the rent is paid.

17. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

That tax has to be necessarily high, just as the ability to acquire gold has to be necessarily low in order to sell more CotO currency in the add-on store. This has always and will always be the problem with any game creating a gold standard premium currency as instead of developers focusing on creating a fun immersive world, the will more and more focus on how to social engineer to selling more of the premium currency.

Cordelayne, Duffy, Celthon and 3 others like this.
  18. Hawkshield

Hawkshield Avatar

19. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

The pain is real.

*But at least power players and companies won't be able to take prime lots all over the map. They will go broke from the taxes.

Hawkshield likes this.
  20. Phiedrus Oliva

Phiedrus Oliva Avatar

It's not about the amount of the tax but about the effort to make it.
    As of starting R33, I think the effort is too high.
    It also depends on the player skills, but that should not be the case. Why should newcomers find it harder?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.