captcha to login, too hard to read !?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thore Gundi, Aug 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I don't think saving the password works that way. Usually the websites that store passwords themselves actually store a hash in your cookies with an expiration. You pass this cookie back the next time you visit and it checks to see if it's still valid. It's not the same as a local 3rd party tool, or even the build in password saving features of browsers.

2. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

@LoneStranger
    Well, if IE asks, if the user wants to store the password and the user clicks yes, it is in that store, which can be queried by IEPV. Just tested for two of my accounts, allowed to store the password to save me the typing, run the IEPV utility and bingo the passwords are stored. The "remember me" only feature may or may not survive the next logoff/reboot, not sure about this website (besides the forum, which always keeps the last used account nicely through the cookie).

The only thing against a captcha may protect is scripted brute force attacks. But a two factor authentication like send an email, if a certain machine is used the first time might be better (although not perfect since I sometimes prefer private mode of browser for logging in secondary accounts which does not preserve a related cookie).

*Salute*
    Olahorand

thoregundi likes this.
  3. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

I have difficulties with that kind of captcha, too. Please consider using some more non-bot-user-friendly type. It always takes me several tries to get it right.

Tahru likes this.
  4. BadDawGe

BadDawGe Avatar

I'm on board with the difficulty of the captcha as well. Using a standard like Recaptcha would help all of us. On-boarding of new customers is always a difficult task but giving them something that can cause friction within the first few minutes of signing up is a mistake. I'm sure they will take care of it in the future. Certainly with this many people asking/raising a flag they will.

Tahru likes this.
  5. Jamist

Jamist Avatar

I too have difficulties logging in. Can we at least get a Dev to comment on this?

Tahru likes this.
  6. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

+1 !!! Make it bigger so we can read it better.

It also might help if it were a different font. Sometimes the small "L" looks like an "i" and things like small "a" look like an "x"... etc.

To make things worse, sometimes the characters overlap each other and it's near impossible to get it right without guessing. I realize this is part of the reason why bots have troubles getting through captcha... but it's frustrating when you type what you think the letters are and find out you were wrong. :mad:

At the very least, please add a "refresh" button to change up the letters when we can't read them.

Tahru likes this.
  7. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

I simply hit the refresh button on my browser and get a new set of letters if the first are too difficult to read/understand, takes 1-2 seconds to get through it each time.

8. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Yea, that's if you haven't already typed in the username and password first... which if you refresh the browser makes you retype them again.

Duke Olahorand likes this.
  9. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

As a workaround; on many browsers, holding CTRL while scrolling forward is a quick and convenient way to zoom in.

thoregundi likes this.
  10. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Right, yes, the IE stuff would be stored separately and that can be easily hacked if your system is compromised. I was assuming you were talking about the 'Remember Me' link, which should only store a hash based on the password and session info, etc. However, if I'm reading the right cookie on my system, it does expire when the session ends.

thoregundi likes this.
  11. Rodriguez

Rodriguez Avatar

These captchas are horrible, please get better ones.
    Dont want to log in through steam all the time...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.