Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Taming nerf fix and new focus drain problem

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Aliana Berry, Aug 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aliana Berry

Aliana Berry Avatar

I was so happy to see my pet spider had health back. Not as much as he had before, but I could live with it.
    I quickly rushed of with my trusty spider by side to do some mining. Collect some silver. When soudenly I was attack, but after shooting 2 arrows I was out of focus. What ever could the matter be. I looked at my focus bar to see that I only had 33 focus max. My trusty spider was draining 344.5 of my focus. Now surely I thought this must be a bug in the game. They can not have made it so our trusted and beloved pets need this much of our focus. Please restore our focus so we can once again use our pets.

A cry to arms lol
    All pet lovers, fight for your pets.

Idonthaveanick, Boom, Solazur and 4 others like this.
  2. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

Summoned pets really also only have 234 health, so its all around that it is not working :/

agra likes this.
  3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Its a billion times better than it was, thank you....

Yes the focus drain is huge, mabey a tad to much but if you go down a pet or raise your skills they are usable where as before haveing a pet actually hurt you.

Birne Gilmore likes this.
  4. P a n

P a n Avatar

Yay, I was holding out hope and faith they would be re-addressing the massive nerf I heard about. Granted I agreed with close to 90% of what they planned to do to taming for r33, because yeah.. as a newb hearing how people could buy a high lvl battle pet, take it out and just massive gain xp and gold was disheartening to say the least. While I am still pouring in 10 - 18hrs a day (on my 4 days off a week) and my character is struggling to keep his head above water with repair kits, and gold for crafting. Not to mention the amusing idea of being "strong" enough to venture to find silver on my own, just to make the collars to tame a chicken. - So I am super pleased to hear that the r33 was fixed up some after r33. However, I also felt it was super crazy nerfed when they did roll it out. No way should all the pets have dropped hp like that, sure maybe some if that was the path they wanted to take.. I certainly agree with what someone else mentioned, the UO taming path was very well set up. Not just because most of us may know it and have used it, It just was truely well set up. So seeing this path start to head more in that direction is a fresh breath of air, and the new fixes and balances that are being rolled out seem to be something that can be manageable. Of course from the sound of the focus drain, which is understandable (big badass pet that should do most of your fighting, hence take most of your focus.) Ok, but maybe not THAT much focus? from the sound of another earlier post, shooting off 2 arrows then being maxed with as much focus as they have currently seems a little to taxing. Esp with focus needing to be used for pet healing, rezzing and the such. Either expand the rate we can gain more focus? or drop the amount of focus it takes by the skill level of the tamer? I have a feeling it may even already be set this way... anywho' I have faith in the devs. And I wanted to post a nice response for feedback too. <3 While I am still at 0% taming skill, my investment into this entire game, merely to become a tamer proceeds to carry on.

5. Aliana Berry

Aliana Berry Avatar

Just to add to my earler post guys. I level 53 in focus drain reducton skill for my pet. I am not a new player who just bought a pet. I have 91 in taming, 91 in summon pet nd 83 in pet combat trianing as well. I do not work due to ill health and so I put alot of my time into grinding xp to level tameing. As for new players using pets. The hard cap on pet summoning alone would have went a long way to stop that. I am ok with some rebalancing of pets, but this just seems a bit harsh on those who enjoy having a pet by thier side.

An on reflecton of this problem of focus. Some have suggested that I train my skills higher to be able to use my pet again the way I enjoyed. I am not against working for my pet but at what cost. I spent hours, ney ideed weeks of xp grinding to rise my taming to 91 and thanks to some kind fokes from the cummity who helped me breave a control point to tame my spider. Then I grinded more to level combat trianing and summoning as I was warned about these up an coming changes. Also trianed the other pet skills upto and above 50. Now these skills my not be level 200, but I feel I earnt my pet. Why should I not be left with enough focus to use him ?.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    Shade Cido and jutman like this.
  6. Birne Gilmore

Birne Gilmore Avatar

Can we have some more stats of how much HP pets have and how many focus theys drain on different stats? Would be nice to know the following stats (also of different pets if you have more then one) to get a nice overview of different pets & situations: ...

- Pet:
    - Summoning skill:
    - Combat Training skill:
    - Concentration skill:
    - HP:
    - Focus drain:

With those we can have a closer look where the problem lies. I will add my stats when I'm back at home at my gaming pc (I have a winter wolf and eldar wolf and medicore skill levels) ;)

Govenor Ruin likes this.
  7. Deiniak

Deiniak Avatar

- Pet: Large red spider
    - Summoning skill: 62
    - Combat training skill: 72
    - Concentration skill: 40
    - HP: 234
    - Focus drain: 218.2

Govenor Ruin and Birne Gilmore like this.
  8. Birne Gilmore

Birne Gilmore Avatar

- Summoning skill: 64
    - Combat Training skill: 62
    - Concentration skill: 48

- Pet: Large Arctic Wolf
    - HP: 149
    - Focus drain: -132,6

- Pet: Eldar Wolf
    - HP: 175
    - Focus drain: -158,5

Govenor Ruin likes this.
  9. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Summoning Skill: 70
    Combat Training: 86
    Concentration: 74

Large Polar Bear
    HP: 285
    Focus Drain: 202.9

Ferocious Red Spider
    HP: 312
    Focus Drain: 296.1

Obsidian Bear
    HP: 392
    Focus Drain: 296.1

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    Govenor Ruin and Birne Gilmore like this.
  10. Shade Cido

Shade Cido Avatar

Summoning Skill: 74
    Combat Training: 73
    Concentration:72

Obsidian Wolf
    HP 273
    Focus Drain:-265.8

Birne Gilmore and Govenor Ruin like this.
  11. Aliana Berry

Aliana Berry Avatar

Sorry for the delay. I am UK time zone.
    Only pet I have atm.

Ferocious wolf spider
    Summoning Skill 91
    Combat Trianing 91
    Concentration 53

Focus drian 344.5
    My Chacters focus = 377.5
    I am left with 33 focus.

Now yes I could go tame a lower level pet and try to manage with it and yes I could stick to farming lower level areas. But I feel I have spent a large part of my game play working towards having this pet and I worked towards having enough in summon pet to beat the hard cap on summoning. This spider as far as I know only spawns in a control point. So I had to have a group with me to get one. I left feeling like I have worked 2 years to save up enough to buy a car, only to be told I have save another 2 years to upgrade the engine to what it should be in the first palce.

PS Arrena is not my character name. I go by Aliana Berry in game. Not that you will see me online much anymore. I just log in when there is a patch, hopeing they will fix this or at least ease up on it. I spent 600 dollars on the game. The way things are now, I feel it was a west of my money because pet taming was a big part of my interest in the game. Thats just my feelings.

12. Kamalh Tannen

Kamalh Tannen Avatar

I have 60 Concentration currently. Using my Obsidian Wolf it drains currently 278.3 Focus leaving me 91 Focus. Previous this latest patch it was only 132 focus which felt to be a good place and fair exchange. Pre R33 it was only about 80 focus drain or lower which was certainly to low.

I believe the percentage that concentration reduces the drain was changed with R33. Either way it deserves some examination just to be sure it has the desired effect.

Part of the problem might be that I am guessing it doesn't take into account what a persons actual focus is so rather than draining a % of that focus it drains a hard number which for some will leave them with constant 0 Focus or Negative Focus if the Mechanics in Game allowed it. The system should probably be changed if possible to work off a Percentage of the persons Focus anyways to prevent this issue at least.

13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I havent seen anyone mention how much damage the pets are doing yet with high taming skills

14. agra

agra Avatar

Less than R31 player auto attack.
    Less than R32 pet attack.
    Less.
    Less.
    Less.

15. Shade Cido

Shade Cido Avatar

Just for a Comparison, I grinded up water magic today.
    At Water Elemental Skill : 1 (total points in Water magic required to Summon:180)
    HP:234
    Focus Drain:-42
    Summon Cooldown: 20 Secs

Pet can Heal. No Pet Death, can use Necklace slot for added Bonuses, resources needed to summon:2 Mandrake, 1 garlic and 1 Corpse Wax. No silver required to acquire pet.

So why bother with taming?? 180 Skill points in the Water Magic tree gave me (at the current tame situation) a much better pet compared to the 540 skill points I've invested in Taming for a decent pet:( I can use this summon in combat without worrying about running out of focus, it can help and support me while I fight the mobs, and has enough Health to tank some damage and not die to 2 hits.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    Birne Gilmore, Arrena and enderandrew like this.
  16. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

It's not only less...
    I need more Taming Collars, Collar Recovery is totaly broken for me.

Not sure if it is a bug or feature after the recent changes.

17. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

so less than 100-200 dmg? Which pet? Need mroe details

18. Aliana Berry

Aliana Berry Avatar

Ya and you get all the other cobat skills from this tree to for the little points you put in. I think this is what I will do. I will put my trusty spider in storage, feeding him ofcourse every day .lol I will hope asnd prey they will mod pet focus drian on tamed pets at some point and train up water magic in the mean time.

Shade Cido likes this.
  19. Birne Gilmore

Birne Gilmore Avatar

... or jsut level concentration more so that it leaves you some more focus (or level your own focus/intelligence directly (or both ;) ). But yes ...
    .. I also think that the focus drain is a bit to harsh ... may be they don't reduce the base drain of the pets, but raise the lowering effect of concentration (making it a curve, so it is getting better fast in the first levels and is raising slower and slower as it gets higher). But I think to have a "acceptaple drain" should be archived if the concentration skill is as high (or quite near to) the level of the summoning skill. Of cause this should be the case also without the need to train focus directly.

20. Aliana Berry

Aliana Berry Avatar

Yes before the patch and with concentrion trained to 53. I had about 90 focus drain. Now if they had of pushed that up to say 150 or even 200, I would have been ok with and just trianed concentration higher.

To jump it to around 90% of my over all focus is realy harsh. I do have some of my own focus skills trained up a bit. As I said I am sick so do not work. This ment I played most days from like 8 am in the morning to 2 or even 3am the next morning. Only stoping for food, bath and a bit of house work. I have 563 in Taming and 543 in archery. Plus some my in focus skills and armour.

I know and understand the game is not a full release yet. I just can not understand why the game devs seem to be so sore on those of us who like tameing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.