The Negativity Bin.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jammaplaya, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Yes, too much unicorns and rainbows. It's giving people a false impression of the game and community.

Kaisa and Whyterose Flowers like this.
  2. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

If only that were really the case! When in fact it's quite the opposite.

Take this thread for example:

Majority of posts don't want Negativity Bin with a 'plain no'. However, the majority of SOTA forum users would love to have Negativity Bin, but they saw the word 'negativity' in the thread title and decided not to click because they've already had enough negativity for one year.

Flog the peasants??

3. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

No, the forums are also for glowing things. The forums are not just for critical comments, far from it. They are for all discussions, ideas, feedback, thank yous, etc. etc.

We will not be implementing a negativity bin for some fairly obvious reasons. We will, however, continue to respond to everyone's feedback here as we've always done. If the posts are not attacking, flamebaiting, or going against the common community rules & guidelines, then you do not have to worry about it being censored.

If anything is censored, it is not critical comments, but how it's said.

4. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Okay I also want a Panda Cub Bin then :p:

5. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Are you sure? I mean, building a wall to keep negativity out seemed like a great way to make SOTA forums great again to me.

huehuehue

6. Patchup

Patchup Avatar

Constructive feedback is exactly that, constructive.
    It is neither criticism nor praise. It should be devoid of emotion and provide reasoned out observations of the game.
    One exception would be when providing feedback about what brings emotional responses within the game, such as a plotline designed to elicit emotion and player immersion through well developed characters.

The developers have a lot of data that can tell them much more than we think. This is why it helps when we play the game, in Beta's.
    Feedback in forums adds context and depth to data but it is not the only and maybe not the primary source for feedback.
    For those that have had statistics and/or business education you will know that survey responses are most often bell curved. The only people that tend to respond are those that feel strongly in either direction.
    I suspect that forums are similar. There is possibly a vast majority of players that are just fine with this or that and don't bother to add their two cents. So we tend to see the posts that fall under either strong criticism or strong praise.
    (Note: that forums are used for more than feedback, such as guides, news, etc., so this adds more players that interact with the forum and might click on a thread like this.)

I try to remind myself that, while my voice carries weight, the developers cannot please everyone all the time. (That comes from Aesop's Fables, 5th century BC, so it's a concept that has had a good bit of distribution.)

I say much of this because I do feel that everyone should be heard.
    I just don't expect that my desired result will be the exact response.

With respect,
    Turin

Acred, jammaplaya and Jack SinAssist like this.
  7. Gnarxly

Gnarxly Avatar

"Little ones, show us what big scarry tiger did to your momy."
    Is that what's going on here?

jammaplaya likes this.
  8. Raxhelm

Raxhelm Avatar

People should have as much right to praise and say glowing things about this game as they do to complain about it. Taking away people's right to praise is no better than taking away their right to complain.

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think this idea should be moved to the negativity bin.

Blake Blackstone likes this.
  10. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

glad to see some support for the idea!

11. helm

helm Avatar

Oh dear. What's next? Trigger warnings?

But +11 for the red panda bin!

Lazlo likes this.
  12. Modu

Modu Avatar

Is this like the chewbacca defense but using panda's instead? I was almost distracted from real issues.

Vagabond_Sam likes this.
  13. Aklys

Aklys Avatar

Building a wall for negativity to be kept out? That sounds like safe spaces to me, and they are wrong in all sorts of ways. Reminds me of a story I got told about optimism and pessimism and how there is pros and cons to both.

A father has twin sons one is an extreme pessimist and one is an extreme optimist and it's their birthday.

He hears crying from one of the son's rooms and sees the pessimistic son in the middle of the room of beautiful toys all still in their boxes on the shelves. He asks the son "What's wrong you have all these beautiful toys to play with for your birthday?"

The son replies "I just know once I open them their value will diminish and they will eventually break the more I play with them."

The father see his other optimistic son through the bedroom window outside in a barn full to the rafters with horse manure. He looks extremely happy throwing manure everywhere with his barehands. He rushes out to see what is going on and see his son digging away furioursly through the manure with the stench being extreme.

The father asks "Son why are you so happy digging and covering yourself in manure in this barn?"

The son replies "I just know there is a pony in here somewhere".

Take what you will from this story but I think all views are valuable and people are more than capable of choosing not to read the comments they don't wish to read. Negative or Positive.

Raxhelm likes this.
  14. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

I've posted a few negative comments; but, overall keep it positive.

Constructive criticism is necessary for the development process.

Love the game, keep it growing.

jammaplaya likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.