Why is SOTA fun? What do you like about this game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Raxhelm, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Did you really type that or get moderated? :)

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Baalice like this.
  2. Aklys

Aklys Avatar

Yes but it no longer makes this just a game. It changes the dynamic of expectation. Different people have paid different amounts of money. So expectations and levels of discontent will differ from person to person due to the way crowdfunded games work. Can't treat this like your typical game.

It's a completely different dynamic to being just a game. This is more about the idea of a game I prefer to think of it.

And from my view (not everyone's) there is a lot more that needs to be delivered on in the short term to minimise the discontent among a lot of players. But it's all still achievable just some fairly quick changes will need to be done before momentum quickly turns to exodus and a lot of people writing off their investment.

But that's just my view, everyone has their own.

Just to add that I've seen one way of handling discontent and gaining a lot of respect is to give investors their money back minus a minor fee if the game is not living up to what they believed is promised. But there is very few organisations doing this as there will be the concern of this being done in mass.

3. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

It was fun, back when I could actually play the game as a warrior and make some money. Now I have turned in my sword for a pick and spend the little time I play anymore in a dank old cave, mining for ore just so I can pay my taxes...lol. I mean I want the game to be immersive just not immersive of RL. :p

4. Vox Aquila

Vox Aquila Avatar

this :)

5. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Hopefully gp gain rate will be improved to where it was with the tomorrow patch. Next time someone has the urge to brag about how easy they can earn, they gotta keep in mind that nerf can happen within a day.

Cally, Stahlknecht, Baalice and 3 others like this.
  6. Mortanius

Mortanius Avatar

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. While it seems many on this post aren't having fun, I find this the most enjoyable "MMO" experience I've ever had. I love the classless system, using whatever skill makes me better at the particular skill (makes sense), interacting with the community from time to time, finding what quests do actually work (lol), and overall exploring. It's a game where I can just exist, and I don't feel pressured to do anything (though I do have tax free deed, so that makes a HUGE difference if housing is your thing). I love the atmosphere... I love the potential that exists here... I love to see a mature community that is so passionate. Speaking of atmosphere and community, I was having an awesome time exploring one city at night, with my "portable aether vibration amplifier", and "Shine on you Crazy Diamond" was playing. Out on my own in New Britannia, I viewed the awesome night sky jamming out to Pink Floyd, admiring the celestial objects in the sky. This wouldn't have been possible without a community to give us radio stations in game. It's rare to also find a game with an awesome view of the sky as SotA does, as well (IMO). It is extremely rare for me to get such feelings out of a video game... feelings that remind me why I play games in the first place. SotA offers such an experience to me sometimes, and I greatly appreciate everyone that makes it happen.

God, do I wish this game the most success. It's not main stream... it caters to "old school" gamers. I'm tired of every franchise I love going down a path of mediocrity. I think one thing that helps is that I'm not on all the time... I do take a break and play other games. I'm not rushing to be the best, most powerful character. I am taking my sweet time, and I look forward to each release. I wish the negative folks on the forums would be more optimistic... it can kill the vibe, and it also discourages new potential players.

[​IMG]

7. Aklys

Aklys Avatar

That's great you are finding a great deal of enjoyment in the game. I think if you get rid of the folks putting up comments that aren't overly positive you create more negativity. As this will give a false impression of the game to others that don't hold the same view as you and then make more discontented people. Best way to create less negativity is to address a lot of the issues mentioned or provide guidance as to when and keep to the schedule advised or keep everyone informed about those schedules.

This will create engagement and create a more positive response from the people that are currently unhappy with some of the game. Of course this also creates the risk of upsetting players that like the system, maybe there needs to be more polls based on heavily discussed topics to get a majority vote for changes to occur. Giving a more transparent aspect to why changes are being made.

8. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

1. Multi player living world, but with option to move into farming zones solo/party only, giving everyone a chance to work on something with limited time or resources.

2. Deck based combat. I love the self construction of your hotbar and the thought that goes beyond it like stacking, combo and thinning etc

3. The sub-theme of housing and its scarcity and value.

4. And most importantly, YOU!
    The player reading this. The community is what makes UO and games like this awesome!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  9. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I have to agree with you to an extent. The vice was (is) as I see it, they are working with a skeleton crew and needed cash to complete the vision. I bet there was a lot of hand wringing when the decision was made to go persistent. Here is hoping that it was the right choice<<<HOPE>>>.

Cally, Raxhelm and Aklys like this.
  10. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

There used to be a saying that if you were having fun then it must be a bug. That bug has been on the decline for a number of releases and may be extinct...but I keep hoping for an infestation soon. Maybe an upcoming patch will help. :rolleyes:

Cally, Aldo and Aklys like this.
  11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I typed that so that I wouldn't get moderated.

StPhil, Cally, Koldar and 1 other person like this.
  12. Phiedrus Oliva

Phiedrus Oliva Avatar

It has most of the ingredients I like:
    - A world you can freely explore
    - Multi or single player at will
    - Crafting
    - Housing (although not what I expected from it)
    - A sandbox that allows different gameplay styles, including emerging ideas and complete freedom.

Stahlknecht likes this.
  13. kazafk

kazafk Avatar

im liking in no order

The love to detail in outdoor areas and already uncloned towns and the layout of the world with its caves and mines underneath make exploration a great adventure. If you go hunting you feel like beeing out in the wild. In most if not all other recent mmos and the so called themeparks you feel more like beeing in disneyland than out somewhere in nature.

The skill system without classes and therefore the possibilty to make my character into something totally different in a few weeks if i want. Plus the micromanagement of my skills, it supports brain activity a bit by making you try things and trying out new things and testing it out, how your ideas work including the deck you will use.

Its the game where i enjoy housing most so far, cause its very well integrated into the world and again with a lot of love to small details. Actually its the first game ever where i put hours into making my house nice and it will take me a few months to have it how i want. And then again, how i can change my house on the fly to another to experiment with different stuff. I like to sit at my house and enjoy looking at sunsets cause its much relaxing.

Looking at the skies with the planetary stuff going on there.

I like grinding in this game.

I like the player driven economy and so far im using it to go on shopping tours in the most far away areas of the world to find something nice someone crafted for my house for example.

The crafting seems fun to me, altho i make only my basic stuff like simple armors and scrolls and dont plan to become a mastercrafter it seems to be made complex and rewarding for those that wanna dig deep into it.

Most importantly the sandboxyness applied to the world and the possibilty for a ton of player created content and events. Will be interesting what ppl make outta it in future.

Cant comment on story and stuff since i decided to spare this and start to do it, when its finished or almost finished.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    Stahlknecht likes this.
  14. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Right now it is not fun. Sorry, but if you are here for the story and the SP experience there is not much there yet to enjoy.
    But I am still here because I believe that somewhere hidden inside the game there is still the possibility of a great SP-RPG or at least a glimmer of the original vision of a story-driven basically soloplayer RPG with the ability to play online... And I hope that one day this will shine through and the brightness of it will make the game great.

15. Gemini

Gemini Avatar

The community, everyone I have met in game thus far has been very generous with advice, help, resources even time, I even received a couple of gear upgrades - I cannot think of any MMO where there is this level of community.

The game itself is enjoyable and more importantly has great potential, while at times frustrating, it is the lack of hand holding that creates a sense of achievement and every release sees new polish and content to the game and quest line.

I like the graphics, it's no witcher 3 but I prefer it to say The cartoon feel of WoW and I like the ability to explore and get in trouble.

I like the skill development and combat, you are not limited by class, only ambition.

You didn't ask for what players didn't like so I will leave it there, give it a chance, I think this game will be very rewarding once it is fleshed out and balanced!

Stahlknecht likes this.
  16. Belgtor

Belgtor Avatar

When I first heard of this game I was ecstac to think a free range to build my own unique character. I'm up to adventure level 66 and have to say it has gotten to a drag. I join primary for the pvp (which has a friendly and sold group of pvpers). However the mindless grind has gotten to me. Also with the gold nerf I can't make enough gold to fed my pvp addiction. Let me be clean I'm satisfied with having to pay for my gear but now it's impossible. People die in pvp we all do however something it's to much to ask to buy back a good item for 6k and 12 spider silk.

The conclusion I like the game but right now I find the spark that had a raging mmo fire dieing little by little.

Cally likes this.
  17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Actually I've been here since 2013 and recently I had to go away to help take care of my mom. I have only been back a few days and I am discovering so much detail that has come in. I was making my 'house of signs'; and a strong wind came up and the tree next to me was frantically blowing in the strong breeze. As a backer I have always been a strong request for attention to detail. I so love the weather even in it's early form. Since returning home, this game just feels so much more like a game, I am awed. The detail on the items, and the world has come so far in almost 5 months I was gone. Also for now we make our own fun quite a bit. And it's our outlook. People fishing before fishing was in, was such a funny thing and the jokes that went on. lol.

But fishing will be awesome, I just know we will have message in a bottle and many mysteries to discover. Puking is in which surprised me. I always wanted my character to react to the environment like getting cursed and finding the cure or poisoned. ;)

I know the op said housing was not his thing and of course I play games with housing, perhaps I wanna play house because of the female side ;), j/k. I believe the game is as important to the developers as it is to us. They know only a very special game will do and I do know they will provide it for us. I actually belong to a guild who puts on events. We did Name that Tune, Bingo, and also a PVP Wrestling Event that was scripted with fun wrestling drama. If you are up for teamspeak you'll get to know others on another level and that is really great, but if you are shy and prefer typing, then that is fine as well. It isn't all about the housing, it is all about everything. This game has a bit of everything, well except full loot which is possible in some scenes later and Guild Warfare is not in yet. Amazing I am not a pvper but I have had a blast at a couple of pvp events that I've gone to. People are so great with you. Oh don't kill Majoria, j/k, I have a 2 handed axe that is pretty sharp ;)

Knowing that not 1 system in the game is complete, lets you know that the level the developers are taking it to is extreme and will be forthcoming. Darkstarr said and I quote 'If it doesn't say complete, it is not complete'. Shroud of the Avatar has nothing that is complete. So as fantastic as some things already are, they are not complete. So no one can tell you how to make the game fun, perhaps you are missing things, I know I am, but I will take my time to explore. So many people are not cut out for a game in development. 3 years is a long time and I am still here and finally I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I see the Devs are on a great track and have listened to us for long enough that they know who their audience is. We are fussy about how this game will be, and I do know they are on the same page. We want it a certain way and if you can show just cause for that then changes will occur and have occurred many times in the 3 years I've been here.

So anytime say hello and if you want to see the game through someone else's eyes, hang out with a few of us. Halloween is around the corner and we are getting more and more tools to have fantastic Halloween things happen in the game, this year will be the best one yet. *cheers*
    edited

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  18. Arthur Ironfist

Arthur Ironfist Avatar

I have been enjoying exploring the overworld and going into each of the scenes to see what it has to offer. I also enjoy watching my character incrementally get stronger and stronger as each of my skills develop. I also have brought some friends into the game and I enjoy teaching them and exploring the game with them and helping them out by crafting them gear when possible.

19. Raxhelm

Raxhelm Avatar

This is an awesome answer! I just want to point out that I did not say housing was not my thing. On the contrary it sounds very interesting to me. What I said is the game never convinced me to spend that kind of money to get a house. If housing is one of the primary components of the game (and from what I can tell it is) then they should NOT be charging people so much money for it.

Edit: I may have to look into SOTA again around Halloween.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    majoria70 likes this.
  20. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Since the beginning this has been my answer. But I am happy to say that the game has improved to stand on its own and continues to surprise with every release. But no matter what, the community is and will always be my favorite part.

majoria70, Audacity and Stahlknecht like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.