Single player online: if you can't beat them, join them.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Travitar, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Travitar

Travitar Avatar

To get this out of the way, all that follows are my own subjective experiences, observations, and preferences.

I've recently become a very active subscriber to the game so you could call me a fairly new player and be accurate. I hadn't played a whole lot before this. Until today I'd played ONLY multiplayer online.

I knew that I could have a little easier time gathering resources and "farming" monsters for gold and XP if I tried single player online. But I really wanted to contribute to the multiplayer online experience and so I largely ignored those that "stole" my resources nodes while fighting another monster, etc.. It bothered me a little but not enough to cause me to say anything to them, give a rude gesture, or play alone online. I was basically still able to make the gold I wanted/needed and harvest resources in decent quantity. I wanted to be another person "seen" running around doing stuff and to interact with.

Then R33 came out which neutered the gold drops as well as caused everyone to go on a farming frenzy. Ok, this caused me to begin to struggle to make as much gold as I was hoping, though I've kept my head above water and have been able to purchase a lot of lottery tickets; buy new spells; and keep my reagents stocked. But I had no taxes to worry about.

The price of all this was a nearly 24/7 farming extravaganza over this last weekend, and subsequently when I started to participate in the forums because of what I was seeing. I know balance is coming to the gold situation and am actually ok with the gold rate as it stands RIGHT NOW because of my ability to purchase COTOs for any future lots I need to pay rent on.

All this blabbering up till now has been to set the stage for me deciding to try single player online just an hour ago for the first time...

I am flabbergasted at the difference it has made in farming anything... it is a wonderland of resources and I'm not sure I'll be going back to multiplayer online except for when I'm entirely sick of gathering gold, resources, etc... So basically I'll be in multiplayer now only for events and for times when I want to see who's running around my own town of Port Titan.

I've drunk the Milk of Paradise, and I don't think I can go back. It's both disappointing and exciting.

DorothyOz, moko, Alexander and 4 others like this.
  2. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

@Travitar You could try Friends Online too. Probably give you the best of both worlds really. :)

Womby, moko, Alexander and 2 others like this.
  3. Travitar

Travitar Avatar

@4EverLost I really like that idea, but I only have 7 friends so it wouldn't be much different than solo, at least for now.

4EverLost likes this.
  4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

that's exactly the right number. friends mode is really party mode and parties can only hold 8.

Alexander, 4EverLost and Travitar like this.
  5. Travitar

Travitar Avatar

Hahahahahah I've never done any grouping other than very briefly with random people so I had no idea. :) Love your attitude.

The thing I'm going to miss out on is the random encounters with folk doing cool RP stuff, which is how I've made many (all?) of my current friends.

6. disastorm

disastorm Avatar

Weren't they going to share resource nodes between all the modes? Have they not done that yet?

7. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

That's new to me.. never heard that happening, and have only heard the developers say it isn't happening (not sure if they mean yet, or never).

8. disastorm

disastorm Avatar

yea sorry i don't know i've just heard people say it. people say too many different things so dunno really what the truth is.

9. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

I play mpo cause I like seeing a world that feels alive and like to contribute to it. I rarely interact with anyone unless I have questions or someone looks particularly intriguing or up to something unusual. I stay away from areas people are hunting at, never interfere with a fight, especially near a resource node. I'm not that kind of person and really don't want to give people anxiety and more reasons to go spo or foo.

Having said that, last night I really had it. I was xping in the twins foothills and a particularly jerky archer with a wind elemental was running through stealing all kills and spawns. He was much more advanced in the game than I and much more efficient, there was no competing for a bandit spawn I was at, every time he came around he'd clean it up and leave me waiting on respawn. It's say every 3rd-4th respawn was snipped like this.

After about 40m I've had enough and switched modes. The spawn is slower but at least there's no grief. I'll still play in mpo unless **** like this happens again. I wonder if one can ban players or block them.

I get first hand the benefits of playing spo or foo, but if I truly wanted to be alone I'd go play skyrim. Players make this world feel alive and I want that and to be part of it.

Wish it was easier and quicker to switch modes, I feel like a lot more players would venture into mpo if they knew they could go back very easily and quickly. Mpo really isn't that bad, I've been in countless scenes with other players and never had any issues.

10. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

A mpo for town and a spo option would be nice.

They could have a checkbox, "Use same settings in town and adventure zones". Otherwise have two columns, one town one adventure with three radio buttons for MPO, SPO, and Friends mode in each column. So any combination could be configured and each scene would load per that configuration.

Eeyore, Fister Magee and DorothyOz like this.
  11. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

With the latest way they display the online game mode has changed, I have a hunch that they plan on streamline the mode switching.

Fister Magee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.