Are we in a self-inflicted economic recession?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thexedor Markhamm, Aug 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

So, how much would you pay? or How much would you sell? would you buy carpace for 1800?

2. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

If only the cotton farmers could find carapaces in their crops - it would probably be the equalizer. :)

3. disastorm

disastorm Avatar

i just bought one of the stacks from your vendor, despite saying that cotton isn't very good lol. I'm going to try out some fustian stuff and seeing if its worth it (imo i think only legs might be worth it). Btw i imagine a big part of the issue is that its in a player-town, i don't think anyone ever goes to those, so in reality the only way people would know about it is if they see the forum thread.

4. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

The problem is - merchants jumped the gun. in the race to be next power seller, they have lost sight of what people are doing. as a newbee in UO I use to marvel at the shadow iron plate but always bought my stuff from the provisioner. Not much different now, pluss many of have houses already and no rush to grind. we dont have much direction in the game yet. The items dont have the "shiny sparkle" effect yet {Serenity } - they are small images, kinda just blah in appearance when on a vendor. it is not like looking into a create full of eye candy. and more over, if you have all this stuff to sell at you large home, people kinda have this contentment or or have the ability to do on there own. Unless they send us a whole bunch of carrots, I for see this being a problem for WHILE. so might as well just back off and work on other things. IMHO

5. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

First, thanks for your business!

Second, yes the PoT decision was an interesting one. A) Rufus D'Aperdi (our Gov) was kind enough to place the lots in the exact configuration I was hoping for (only possible in a PoT) and B) I think long term fully-occupied PoTs are going to be great for business. I've shopped in PoTs - but you're right, you need to advertise on different mediums (like this forum) to get somebody in the door. :)

Indeed, the bills will demand it. I have a full harvest to yank up, but have considered leaving it in the ground until r34 (and the Ag polish). I got plenty of cotton in stock as it stands and need dinero. Cotton merchants are in a particular bind right now, we have to be overpriced to cover our production costs (seeds + water+ time), and obviously no customer wants overpriced goods. Since its a lose-lose situation for all, its a pretty flawed mechanic. If seeds were 4g a piece instead of 16g (and water was free from the clouds or river), I'd have no problem selling it for 2-4g a piece and I'm sure it would fly off the shelf.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    Kaisa likes this.
  6. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Sorry, you said.. no one had that kinda money.
    I was just letting you know, that I was able to do it which means anyone is able to do it
    I'm not even a top tier merchant.
    I haven't sold any pledge rewards or coto's just lots and lots of ore that I mined myself.

4EverLost likes this.
  7. agra

agra Avatar

Pay? Nothing. It would be too expensive to buy, especially given how resource intensive the recipes are. People would probably want to charge 20k per armor piece.
    Sell? Never. It was too time & resource intensive to make. Same answer for masterworking or enchanting.
    Carapaces? I think you mean suet. No, you need like .. 55+ of the damned things? No way would I pay 99,000 gold for just suet.

Sadly, the above reflects my current attitude towards much of crafting in Shroud, given the current punitive mechanics.
    Maybe they'll fix it, maybe they won't, but I sure as hell won't be a crafter selling to others with it like this. :)

Kaisa and Tiki Pirate like this.
  8. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

Well, my poor fisherman character is doing well. Still poor and still fishing!

But yes, the lack of gold from my inland excursions have kept me from spending much.

Great OP BTW.

This is another reason that I think each player should be limited to one ticket each.

Do we really need to fill every plot, lot, nook, and cranny with empty houses before the game is even released?

Reminds me of the planet in the Douglas Adams book where everyone made shoes. We need diversity, and we need to ensure the chance for the little guy(casual/new player) to make it or I fear you will have 1000's of fancy empty houses with vendors out front selling shoes.

mass, Tibs and Thexedor Markhamm like this.
  9. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Great analogy, TP, and right on the money. I'd 'like' your post x100 if I could. :)

Tibs likes this.
  10. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Keep in mind that the raffle ticket deed only give a chance of getting a lot deed. The more raffles in the circulation at the specific drawing, the less chance for anyone to win a lot deed.

Port also has the ability to control how many lot deeds they want to give away. As it stands right now only 50-60% of lot in all NPC towns are being claimed, the PRTs have even more (90% unclaimed lot last time I checked). Just 75 PAD lots wouldn't make much impact into the total availability. Plus there won't be that many people who can afford town and city lots without pooling resources with guild mates. As far as POT only lots, many owners wish to be able to form up their towns and open them up for rent or share with their families and friends, so there are demand there.

11. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

My point exactly... and why shouldn't you sell each piece for 20k or more? After all we crafters have the burden of buying coal, wax, carapace & sued (or gather it ourselves) by the hundreds, at varying prices (according to market)... This thread was started by no vendor sales, and I think crafters are starting in the whole... Adventurers have the luxury of being able to collect gold and selling all their junk for more gold and then have nothing to spend it on... While we crafters go broke buying fuels...

I have a suggestion for you vendor operators, stop watching the "ticker" on NBNN (it doesn't reflect what a crafter is able to pay for resources) and that other site with "suggested retail prices", we can't afford it... and start selling ores in multiples of 4ea because thats what it takes to make 1 ingot... Logs, I can only get 1ea timber from a tree 20' tall and I can only get 2 boards from that log... and it takes 5 timbers to make a pole... I need poles to make quality furniture, but the sales are limited as once you have one, you don't ever need anymore...

Adjusting gold at the NPC level isn't the answer... Adjusting quantities from raw resources would be better... That alone would lead to high gold...

Fister Magee, Kaisa and Nadomir like this.
  12. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

The problem seems to be, that many player-merchants don't have a good feeling for pricing. They just see what others try to get for their stuff and don't think about how reasonable such prices are. Then they don't get their stuff sold and start brickering about how broken the economy is and that players don't have enough money... You see where this is going? Now that NPC-vendors pay more for the loot-stuff those kind of player-merchants will think: "Great! People get more cash again! Time to raise my prices!"

So here is my call: If stuff is expensive, then don't buy it. If you start paying for overpriced stuff, prices will never drop but establish on the way too high level. And if you are selling stuff, keep prices reasonable. Don't be too greedy! If noone is buying your stuff, try lowering your prices. There is no need for pricedumping, either, but it's the goal to get to a level suitable for everyone.

13. Elfenwahn

Elfenwahn Avatar

+ 1 for "Give economy time to settle"

Fister Magee and Tibs like this.
  14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The sales may be down because of the recent, unintentional overshortage of gold being injected into the economy.

Public vendors have become more popular because the close competition offered by many people selling on the same vendor have created lower prices for goods.

Many private vendors have been basing prices on what top earners make, or just guessing base on earlier pre releases where gold exploits existed. Pricing goods based on what the casual player earns is far more profitable

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    Kaisa likes this.
  15. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

The Novian Fed is reacting:

Dear Novian Citizens.

[​IMG]

The Banks of Brittany are forced to introduce negative Interest Rates on Accounts holding high amounts of cash to prevent a slip into deflation and a counter to a spiral of falling prices that could derail the economy of Novia.

If you have cash stored over 100 000 Gold you will be charged a 0.4 % rate to hold your cash over night within the banks.

Please be aware that this may also be implemented soon in banks all over Novia - Adoris most likely to follow.

We are aware that it is especially hard to carry high amounts secure with you. Therefore we recommend investing into the economy.

Your President of the Banks of Brittany
    Member of the Novian Fed. Reserve.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...y-to-introduce-negative-interest-rates.60919/

16. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

It's actually the spell critical chance that I want the most. That's why I went with Carapacian. With the enlightenment buff, I have about 560 focus. That's plenty for me right now.

17. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

That's exactly the issue right now. Final products have significantly less value than the materials to make them. Even if they're enchanted and masterworked sometimes.

A Carapacian Epic Cloth Chest takes 160 Cotton and 20 Beetle Carapaces to make. With cotton at 10g a piece and carapaces around 500g a piece, you're at a cost of 11,600 gold just to make the chest piece if you were to buy the raw materials to make it. Even cutting off the cotton since you can farm it yourself in large amounts if you have property, it's still 10k gold just for the beetle carapaces.

A full set of Carapacian Epic Cloth Armor takes 58 Beetle Carapaces to make. At 500 gold a piece (good luck finding that quantity at that price), that comes out to 29,000 gold just for the non-enchanted and non-masterworked base armor not including the cost of cotton. No one is going to pay 29k gold for armor that isn't enchanted and masterworked.

So really, you're better off selling raw materials than actually using your crafting skills and selling the final product.

Edit:
    The only way to really make money off of crafting then is to collect all of the materials on your own, but the issue with that is you might as well just go farm mobs for gold from the junk items they drop instead. Your gold income through farming mobs will likely outpace what you could make from all of that times spent gathering and then crafting it into items. Especially for masterworking and enchanting where you'll end up destroying a lot of the materials.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    agra, cartodude and Thexedor Markhamm like this.
  18. Ponral

Ponral Avatar

This with an exception, I am crafting for fun. I am sure that things are well known to some, but I just started experimenting with Crafting stuff mostly for my own consumption. I am little jealous of those walking around in glowing armor, but frankly not going to be there for a while for me. It will really boil down to when full release hits and we find out what the popular appeal will be. At that point we will have demand for more refined goods, the land rush may be over but the new rush is in resource gathering.

This is more like an online Ren Faire, we are the 'cast' getting the place setup for the next wave of folks. Our pain is that the world is in flux, less flux than 6 months ago, but more flux than 6 months from now.

19. idaniod

idaniod Avatar

I think a LOT of the crafters around here forget this important part.. crafting for FUN... it's so nice to hear someone else use it, thank you.

I also kinda like being in a world that is in flux.. things will change quite a bit over the next year, and I have fun being a witness to that... as well as participating!

20. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Business has been slow since the nerf on gold and the raffle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.