Necropolis (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Poor game design, Aug 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aseltine

aseltine Avatar

My friend and I just tried to run this. Very disappointing. We couldn't go as a team, the skele's were way above our skill level and when we tried to leave we were locked in. Any mechanic that requires you to quit the game in order to get back to playing shouldn't have lasted this long and shouldn't have been given to folks who just started playing 24 hours ago.

Chatele and Acred like this.
  2. Last Trinsic Defender

Last Trinsic Defender Avatar

Yeah, the hints to Necropolis are far too early. You should investigate , Solace Bridge, the Soltown Cemetary and the woods around till you are at mid 20-lvl. Learned that myself the hard way :cool:

Acred likes this.
  3. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

After "nopeing" out trying to do this as a truly low level I went back tonight at adventure 35...the word "polished" has no business being associated with this quest, I made it to Nyx and wasnt sure where I was supposed to go, I finally made it down to the spiders, who I couldn't run past due to their webbing, or kill (close..) so I died and eventually left.(spirit walked to the throne room I think, but then fell off into the water, there is no way out or ankhs between the spiders and there.

I'll wait a few months before trying this one again.

4. Faerie_Storm

Faerie_Storm Avatar

How are you supposed to get past those spiders? you can pretty much avoid fighting up until then. The guide said try to avoid fighting anything but there is no way to avoid those spiders, if you try to run past the root you and kill you before you get free. Also I couldn't snipe them and kill them because I did zero damage.

5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Run faster! Hehe, I'm working on this one too, and managed to get past the spiders and deeper in..
    Further into my journey (not in the Necropolis), there is a lich I may have to defeat to progress though, so time to grind for a few days! :D

6. bmoconno

bmoconno Avatar

I just did this quest, and it truly is a major pain and could use some serious work.

My best advice for running past the spiders is to run in and break the webs (double click) that are already there, then when you get through the first archway head left and fall a short distance into the pit. This will prevent the other spiders there from aggroing onto you and you can then double tap W to keep running through the spider area without too much trouble.

If you die in the spider area, there is an Ankh just on the other side of the bridge (before the spiders) in one of those short offshoots of the cave.

7. Gix

Gix Avatar

It's a mess but I think my biggest complaint about it is how the game is guiding you to the Necropolis.

You're a fresh Avatar, just barely getting your bearings in Soltown, talk to a few guys here and there, talk to a few people in Ardoris and then GO TO A 5 SKULL AREA! That's an insane spike in difficulty! I understand the idea of working your way to get to do 5 skulls... every zone leading from Ardoris has a progressively harder content... but you just gave the player a long-term goal WITH NO ALTERNATIVES and NO REASON why the player should give a damn.

8. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

How do you get out once you talk to Thantos or whatever his name is....I mean hell i dont even remember how i got here. Running elbows and such to get past the bad things. LOL.

9. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Two staircases in its room. One leads to a large, empty room. The other to a passage going outside.

10. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

yeah after running around like a mad woman i found it....then trying to talk the hubby through it all since his comp crashed on him and he had to log back in. Was a hoot running through that maze of nasty stuff to get back there. Just glad we got it done. Yes we know it was solo but we were on discord talking and giving each other direction. As you can imagine...it was chaos...Left...no no right..go straight...turn left...no not that left the other left. It was funny as hell

11. Fenrir the Hunter

Fenrir the Hunter Avatar

So how do you get past the 2 rooms filled with poisonous spiders that can root you?

12. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

hmm interesting. I'll be the first to admit I still pretty much suck at figuring out the appropriate keywords etc for these type of quests. I went in here last night and it was... well different.. idk about the "friendly" Elementals. I got into it with a (think it was air) Ele who really annoyed me... fortunately I was able to hide out in a pool for a couple minutes and modify my deck after which I dispatched that flippin blue Ele who thought it was so cute... zapping me and running off which some Obsidian Golem thing attempted to have it's way with me. In the end I was called away but left with more questions than answers. idk.. all in all I am looking forward to going back and figuring it out. Maybe I'll wind up bribing @Katrina Bekers to 'splain what I'm missing although even I was able to figure out I'm gonna have to go visit Malice. But hey.. If I wanted total hand holding with no thought involved.. there's a lot of other games I could tackle. When I consider my investment in this world..I am glad I can't just "beat the game" in a week o play

EDIT: it DID give me some satisfaction to leave all those Elementals on the floor

Acred likes this.
  13. Psylent

Psylent Avatar

For the spider room, if you can grab one at a time, lead it back to the bridge. If you step on the bridge, you will end combat (invalid target) and the spider runs away. So if you start getting low health and are about to die, step backwards on bridge. Let the spider run back to its position, heal up and get back to spider before it has returned to full health. Lots of spiders tho.

I can't remember how I got out. I remember seeing barriers and remarks that I was not allowed to leave. I think I just quit game and started back on the map. Now I have to head to the next part - and hesitant since it is a PVP area and don't wanna get ganked when I step inside. Never done/seen PVP in this game yet.

Fister Magee likes this.
  14. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

There's a workaround.

That target area is beyond a PVP scene. You can access your target area from... Somewhere else, deep inside a certain passage.

Acred likes this.
  15. Psylent

Psylent Avatar

Thanks! quells my worry :)

Acred likes this.
  16. Lathiari

Lathiari Avatar

Drocis you sound like a cool dude, good on you for calling out broken mechanics. It sounds like allot of the headache from this and the tower you mentioned comes from the fact that aggro patterns on mobs are absolutely bonkers as they always have been. We need a real push for polish on these behaviors asap.. some of this stuff is so punishing it's ridiculous!

Chatele likes this.
  17. Gregg247

Gregg247 Avatar

After much trepidation, I finally held my nose and did this mission yesterday and....kind of liked it!

Several months ago, I attempted the Necropolis and ran into the same ridiculous problems mentioned in posts above. I was low level and simply following my Journal instructions and found nothing but frustration and death. I gave up on it and have spent the time since leveling up my adventuring and crafting skills. I've been following this and several other forums about all the problems with the Necropolis, and have watched some video walk-throughs (or attempted walk-throughs) as well.

Last night, at al41, I went into the mission again. They've made some big improvements in this mission! First, the instructions are much more straightforward and clear. Second, Samael is actually helpful and can kill enemies along with you. I ran through the first "fighting" room and only fought the 3 skeletons who followed me into the corridor (Samael helped here). I only encountered one Elemental in the room with Nyx (as opposed to 4 that I saw in the video from last year). The spider room was irritating, but since the (all) brown spiders were conning either green or yellow to me, and came at me at no more than 2 at a time, "irritating" was all they were. I died once, near the end, when I got too cocky with my "skills" up to that point and let the final skeletons off me. (If there's an anhk down there, it's well-hidden. I couldn't find one anywhere.)

After my death, Samael was nowhere to be found (a glitch?). I ran back to the final room and talked with the boss-man (Thanatos?). Without Samael there, Thanatos helpfully translated for me! He clearly told me what I needed to do next, and sent me on my way. I found the exit, but also the "short-cut" to Midras Ruins, which I didn't do because I wanted to read up on that mission a little before plunging ahead.

Anyway, it looks like there've been many changes/improvements to this mission in the past few months. Sure, I'm al41, but I'm still pleased that I made it through and had an enjoyable time with it.

Olthadir, Fister Magee and Sir Frank like this.
  18. hearsehauler

hearsehauler Avatar

Just completed this portion of the quest! ;) (after 4 attempts, one power outage thou)
    Character stats...Str=29, Dex/Int=10, Health=242, Focus=210
    All heavy armor, HA rating=139, Polearm rating =140

At first I was frustrated...as my character is using polearm (Vanduul) and getting very low HP hit on targets or missing altogether often (but that's addressed in another post).

Skeletal mobs are yellow to orange, lots of misses, had to let Kardan get aggro while I attack from the rear or run thru the opening rooms and let the mobs return to their posts.
    The spiders where the worst, I do not become (nor do they) an "invalid target" upon getting back to the bridge as was said above in another post. The spiders seem to re-spawn quickly, but we managed to chop thru them eventually and got to the first "mini-boss" (i have forgotten the name something to do with mother) where the Earth elementals are. The elementals where only a problem during one run thru...some how Kardan and I got aggro on 4 of them, this was corrected by the power outage and I started at the beginning again. This time when dealing with the spiders I took "bmoconno's" advice and hooked a left at the first archway after the bridge and dropped into the small pit and cut thru the webs, bypassing the rest of the spiders. At the stairs leading down from the "long hall", there is another group of skeletons...I noticed (only once), while attacking a skeletal mob, Kardan say "he is wary, sheath your sword if you wish to speak to him" (come to think of it I was using a polearm...that should get fixed). I wish Kardan's comments was more pronounced as I missed the chance to "talk" to the skeleton, on all four run thru's. I talked with Thanatos and completed this step of the quest...HOWEVER Kardan made a comment that was contradictory...don't really wanna run thru Necro again to see if it will happen again. His comment can be seen in the link...in short he said "...gonna stick around and do some light reading", the next time I spoke with him he said "want to leave with due haste and in one piece".

So I started with being frustrated...BUT I have come to appreciate the quest as I am not hand held (boring), I can't plow thru mobs (boring) and their is away around (if you can't go thru). I think if the polearm issue was fixed I would have easily fought my way thru. Even thou this quest starts in a 5 skull area I had no problems getting to and meeting up with my spirit talker, I was expecting him to be outside on the worldmap thou, this expectation lead to some trepidation about going in, but since there isn't (as yet) much backlash for dying a plunged headlong in. I wouldn't want to attempt this with a character with much lower stats as it did take Kardan sometime to get aggro, keeping the mobs from hitting me.

Keep up the good work:)

19. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Me too! Just had to jump to see what was down there :)

Vodalian likes this.
  20. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

FYI Jumping when your rooted has a chance to break the root effect, this includes webs and I'm able to run from spiders no problem this way.... as long as I'm not out of focus. It does drain a little focus when you try to escape from a root effect in this way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.