Hurdles of disappointment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hawkshield, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkshield

Hawkshield Avatar

Its hard enough getting a skill to 40 in some cases, especially after the pre-requisites are also 40. In this case its SUN, trying to get the Phoenix elemental. I have over 400 health, not sure what my Lvl is (another hurdle requiring 3rd party software) . Its a Boss, I get it. And its tag is red, this tells me that I probably have to be another 30 levels or so higher to even phase it. I mean I don't even have a chance. I tried and got fried in seconds. Are ALL the summons elementals like this? If this is the case, then screw it. Its one thing to have a fighting chance, and totally another to just have your azz handed to you. I would think this would be a solo experience, and possibly doable with strategy (using ice shield and douse).
    But is this is the case with the Elementals, hats off to those who have them, cause I don't have the time to beat my head against a wall. I might as well just walk away and hang up my Staff. Being 70% mage is getting so disappointing its not even funny. I want this game to work it has the right mix that I am looking for, but when you reach a goal (in this case Reveal at lvl 40) and then finding out how much exp I wasted jsut to have my next potentially fun skill stomped all over by a flaming giant chicken on speed. Screw it. I'll just be a fricking fighter and give up on the higher level skills, whats the point?

2. Travitar

Travitar Avatar

I'm a pure mage myself, and have unlocked both the Lich and Fire Elemental solo. Not sure what my level is or how hard they are compared to the sun one (I'm just a little ways off from being able to try it), but both the death/fire ones were very difficult for me to defeat. I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to help you defeat it, myself included. I have no idea how powerful I am compared to what you need, but I'd certainly try, just message me in-game as "Travitar Underworld" and I'll teleport to you. (at least for another 20 minutes, then it's time to hit the sack)

Acred, Hawkshield and Lord Bankee like this.
  3. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

@Hawkshield - The pheonix is definitely a group fight. For the sake of argument, lets ignore the conversation on whether skill unlocks should force players to not play solo if they want to, is another issue entirely. But if you ask around, i'm sure you will find a group that would love to run with you to do it. Not all elemental quests are that tough, some are harder, some are easier.

Part of this is because the game still is going through balance, and most of the elementals were put in as boss fights originally. Xavara, the fire elemental, is quite a bit easier. The death one is also a bit easier. The pheonix is actually one of the harder bosses in the game. Xavara is soloable around level 45-50, it just takes ages and it's a long vicious fight. Higher levels make it easier.

It's not just you, and i understand your frustration. But yeah, ask around, i'll be happy to go in a group with you if you catch me on.

Also, you can check your level without 3rd party software (although I do try to make the hud convenient and painless). type /stats in-game, then open your file browser and go to %Appdata%/Portalarium/Shroud of the Avatar/Chatlogs and open the chat log file there with the date, then search for Adventurerlevel

4. Hawkshield

Hawkshield Avatar

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback and info. Glad to hear it is a group fight, was kinda beating myself up that I was all wimpy and stuff ;) Would take you up on that, but got to get ready for bed, work and all that.
    But yeah I'll jot your names down and try to friend you, I sincerely appreciate the help and understanding. I'm not the rage quit type, just like in RL I learned to just remain calm and walk away till my heads clear (well after 30 anyway lol).
    If anything, I know I can contribute to healing! That at least works decent (when I DON"T have my weapon drawn). And saying that its one of the toughest Bosses in game is saying quite a lot.

Acred, Travitar and Rilman like this.
  5. disastorm

disastorm Avatar

Yea tbh not sure what Portalariums strategy will be with that stuff. It would be a terrible idea to make all mobs solo-able in an online rpg game, but of course its also terrible to make mobs that are not solo-able in a single player game. The only thing I can think of is the single player version might be made weaker or something.

Acred and Hawkshield like this.
  6. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

One of my guildie had help from the pax et veritas and Jade valley folks to kill the Phoenix. It was one of the super epic fight.

One the day or night that you have about 30 min or more, try ask on the forum or discord to rally people to go the Phoenix nest. It could be a very fun experience.

Acred, Hawkshield and Rilman like this.
  7. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Bring a friend or find someone to help you. I did all of that easily solo, but I guess people play differently so try to find friends.

8. Last Trinsic Defender

Last Trinsic Defender Avatar

IMHO the frustrating part is to find out how tough a mob is. The colour of the name and even it's HP are no trustable indicator. e.g. an elder-bear with 700HP is a lot easier then a 700HP Obsidian wolf as a fighter. It's the other way round as a caster because the bear is pushing and interrupting you. All depends on your playstyle. On the long run it's important to gain a big potion of games-lore to know which mob can be attacked at what level and with how many friends.

But hey - it's pre-alpha and we have time to learn every day. :cool:

9. Modu

Modu Avatar

Then there's archers who own you no matter whether you are melee or spellcaster. ;)

Acred likes this.
  10. Rilman

Rilman Avatar

I had the same issue with the Lich, there's 2 of them down there you have to kill, both very red to me.

Thankfully a guild member came and helped me, so I didn't have to wait months while levelling.

11. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

These are some of the stats of the Phoenix from when I got mine recently if anyone wants to know:
    - Approximately 7000 Health
    - After killing it once, it comes back to life with another 7000 Health
    - Damage ranges between 60-266 from the numbers I saw myself taking. 266 was an in the back crit when I was running from it, I wear all cloth with no shield. I've only got about 25 DR when buffed.
    - It has both a physical and fire attack. It will charge at you with a physical peck attack. It also has a ranged attack with single-target fireballs.
    He is definitely not a boss to mess around with.

For comparison, Xavara only had 2600 health when I killed it (they buffed it recently though), and the Lich only had 1200 health when I fought it.

Sadly though, the Phoenix summon is just as disappointing as all of the other mage summons. The Fire Elemental is better imo. The Lich is the best for damage, but its health constantly decays. The phoenix summon does have a chance upon death to revive itself in an explosion of fire though.

Now the only mage summons I'm missing are Earth and Water.

Acred, Raxhelm and Hawkshield like this.
  12. Hawkshield

Hawkshield Avatar

wow had no idea what I was up against. Well I am no Avatar this game (since one can't have alts) and am just an ordinary crafter and harvester of resources. I give up the mantle of becoming the best warrior I can be and will settle for mediocrity as I grind to pay for my 15000 gp a month Row house. Good thing this game doesn't have spouse and kids or I'd be hitting /suicide

Acred and Katrina Bekers like this.
  13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

@Hawkshield, COTO are selling for 1000g to 1200g in game... Grind to make 5000g, buy 4 COTO and pay your row lot rent for a month. One third the effort, same result.

Acred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.