reason to play Quests ?

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Lord Gorynych, Aug 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Gorynych

Lord Gorynych Avatar

I completed several quests but all I got as reward were some gold and XP, which is, IMO, waste of time as I can get the same amounts much faster just adventuring and slaying mobs.

Is there any reason to play quests besides of gold/xp and getting top skills from trainers ?

Besides "Lore and Immersion", is there any attracting quest rewards such as unique crafting materials, rare items, or just something that I cannot get by simply visiting locations and looting monsters?

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Some quests reward emotes. I don't believe there are ANY "unique" crafting materials. You can get the undead bane hammer, and while it is technically part of a quest, you don't need to be on the quest to get it. Otherwise... no, if you don't care about advancing the game plot, then there is no need to quest.

Time Lord and Lord Gorynych like this.
  3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Yes, the students in ardoris will give you deco.

4. Lord Gorynych

Lord Gorynych Avatar

Thanks for clarification.
    I hope, when SotA is released, quests system will be polished and become much more attractive and rewarding.

5. Tibs

Tibs Avatar

I think it has to do with your skill level when completing the quests that are in the game. Some of them don't seem to award anything, but they do alter the numeric values of your three prime virtues, according to the chatlog produced by entering /stats in game.

I suspect that when they are finished the award of pooled xp will likely be desirable. For now... not so much. I don't think they understood completely how quickly 10K xp vanishes into your glyphs.

zyxe, Time Lord and Nhili Dragon like this.
  6. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

I dunno, but if nobody does quests, what will chapter two look like??

I'm picturing houses on fire, a dome of blackrock covering Novia, the appearance of miniature guardian clones invading towns and streets littered with dead NPC children.

Is that what you want, Avatar??

7. Lord Gorynych

Lord Gorynych Avatar

Progressing quest lines should open new content or places to a player.
    Until that, it's now rewarding enough to spend time on.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Last Trinsic Defender

Last Trinsic Defender Avatar

I can't agree with that - gaining 5k+ xp is worth doing a quest because you can't get it that fast by hunting mobs. Opening new content or places is true from a point of view which is not SotA-related - e.g. WoW. Here things are a little bit different. It's important to read, understand and go even deeper into the story. Quests here are not for gaining items or advantages but for pushing the overall-story forward. That's a different concept as in other MMOs .. more the concept of a single-player RPG.

9. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

I disagree, Quests are useful on day 1 of a character for some initial xp and gold and your going to be in the zone killing anyway, after that XP awarded per time spent is low.
    They are changing things so that we will have to do the story quests eventually, but until then, I'm waiting for a richer questing experciance.

Currently most quests are simply click highlighted text until you get a journal update, then move on.
    Nor really any different that Other games that bring up a quest dialog that you click to advance.

There are a few rare quests that offer a choice, and the order of what you click has effects, and there are a few quests that it is difficult to find a clickable word that leads you to an actual quest, but most of those are triggered off one of the common words.
    (Name, Job, Health, News, Rumors, Help). Right now the dialog is so far from complete, and there are so many npc's that offer generic responses to so many phrases, I choose not to particpate at this time, I'll quest later when it's the rich colorful system it is intended to be.

Right now I only do Emote quests, (cause emotes are forever) and the chaos and virtue statues quest, so that I have the rewards before they are changed or removed, everything else I can wait on.

Metalocalypze, Pikegirl and Time Lord like this.
  10. Last Trinsic Defender

It's your choice to do so. But I can't follow you at your idea to the colorful system - it was not promissed and following the history from UO till SotA not intended. The dialogues are quite the way they should be by intend. It is also not true that you need to click only through the underlined words - there are many lines you miss by the way because sometimes you need to read and follow the ideas of the dialogues to go on. That follows the idea of a RL-discussion where you get no underlines, no questionarks, no nothing at all - you need to listen and think about it. That was the idea 25 yrs ago and it is the idea now. But I won't hinder you to wait .. maybe it becomes true. Maybe not. ;)

Time Lord and Nhili Dragon like this.
  11. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Rich and Colorful.. as in something worth reading and attempting to interact with.
    Right now most of my conversation with most NPC's bails out to "I know know nothing of that".

Time Lord, Epiphany and Snikorts like this.
  12. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Maybe rich and colorful as in exciting quests with surprises, twists and great stories. Quests with consequences in which NPCs can die and maybe whole cities can be destroyed. Quests in which our actions really matter - kill the Dragon and he stays dead. Catch the murderer and he will hang. Quests that are created through events - a mage is disturbed while casting a spell and suddenly undead appear and attack everyone. A meteor comes crashing down, transforming the villagers into zombies... A mayor sells his people to the enemy and commits suicide because he feels guilty. A farmer transforms into a werewolf after he was bitten and pleads for the hero to kill him before he can hurt his family... An army of ogres marches towards a city and we have to battle them at the gates only to learn that somebody inside of the city stole one of their children... A Dragon crashes into a city, sick and we have to find out what causes his illness. A necromancer kills people at night in the streets and we catch him doing it and he tells us that he has to do it in order to practice his magic so that he can bring back his daughter from the dead... This is what I expect from a "single player narrative" that SotA promises to give us.

13. Last Trinsic Defender

I feel for you and hope your dreams come true. But ... the single-player-experience has been moved far into the background and it seems what is not possible in multiplayer (changing the landscape or mobs because of player-intervention) will not be possible in single-player either. Your desires for the interaction sound really great and personally I would appreciate it.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I fear that you are right. The devs should definitely speak out about this issue...

15. Lord Gorynych

Lord Gorynych Avatar

Killing four big Scorpions gives me ~5K XP, just ten minutes of hunting.

Exactly. I don't even read it, just click all the words until my journal updates as it's the most productive way of doing quests now :)

Agree, and this makes SotA very special game for a very thin niche.
    The first startup quest is just frustrating for the most of newcomers. This is why we see mostly negative votes in Steam as the most players want exciting, challenging and rewarding story.

May be it's time to change something ?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    Time Lord and Nhili Dragon like this.
  16. Last Trinsic Defender

Depends on your level - killing 4 big corpions gives me negative stats because of my skills. Doing a quests gives me really 5K which can be distributed by me.
    But nevertheless do as you wish and whatever pleases you.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

As obviously there can't be any real consequences to our choices or changes to scenes during quests I am now wondering what the reason is to do the quests, too...

18. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

No changes to *housing* scenes. They can change any instanced scene however they want. So there can be repercussions, I'm just afraid that they will feel hollow because the majority of major NPCs are in scenes with player housing...

19. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

It's every city.
    And as you say it is the majority of NPCs is affected by this.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Epiphany

Epiphany Avatar

Not really directly quest related, but regarding players having an impact in the world:
    One thing I liked about Horizons, is that the community was really motivated to work together to open up new areas which remained persistent. ie: combat characters had to protect crafter's that had to repair a bridge to open access for everyone to the content on the other side and I also remember being in mining tunnels with the crafter's working on a part of a wall which revealed a portal to another 'god's' world. It made it exciting and everyone felt like they were making a difference and it was awesome to see everyone co-operating. When we did the mine work, we had almost an assembly line of crafter's making certain parts of required items and handing them off to other crafter's for them to complete it. It was a very fulfilling experience that everyone could take a part of. I don't think I have come across another mmorpg that embraced this concept.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.