Are all the UO players gone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blitz101, Aug 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salient

Salient Avatar

Most of the UO players I know aren't going to reply, since they've written SotA off as a flop already. I keep checking in on SotA, but it's just not my kind of game. I understand many who like to RP and decorate houses enjoy SotA, nothing wrong with that. For me, I liked UO97-8 when there was no trammel and it was a harsh and hard world to get by in. Overcoming adversity gives real meaning to gameplay (for me anyway). There is no adversity in SotA. No meaningful pvp of any kind. Even the PvE is lackluster. Where are the grand storylines of the old Ultima games? The only reason I did the quests was for the xp, not due to any interest. Very dull writing, desperately needs some professional voice acting and some mocap. Was meaningful pvp and good quests too much to ask for? With Lord British and Darkstar you'd think it'd be a given. However I look around, and what is the player base doing? Getting together to play doll house. This is doll house online. With the occasional fishing trip added in. "Hail and well met sire! Would you like a cup tea?" "Why yes my good sir" /emote pour tea /emote smile /emote drink ...

2. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

UO player since November 1997 to this day. Still my primary game.

SotA isn't a flop yet, but it is on the road to floppiness. I still have a small amount of hope left, however.

Of course I wasn't expecting another UO. Most of the people who made UO great don't work at Portalarium. Koster was the key, IMO.

Time Lord and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I started on Pacific during Renaissance. I was not an original UO player but I played for many years. I joined a guild that had a guild house just off the fields west of brit. The guild colors where red and white but for the life of me I cannot remember the name haha

Black Tortoise and Time Lord like this.
  4. disastorm

disastorm Avatar

I think the pvp is pretty close to being meaningful, they just need to make the open pvp areas to have huge benefits and incentives. The actual pvp system itself seems pretty decent.
    The other day there was a group of gankers pking people in Vengeance. When you kill someone you get either a few of their items or a bunch of gold, so I think thats a good alternative to full loot in the modern day mmo.

5. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

ya, kinda funny. I think the debby downers are posting here. I know our guild has 300ish people in it and 250 of them are old UO players and they like the game just fine. Ive been in this game 9 months now and every day I log in I have something new to do and I can do whatever I want, just like UO was.

Sure, if you have literally played UO for the past 20 years and not much else, I can understand why you wouldn't like moving to this game or any other. I personal question your sanity playing UO for 20 years but it is what it is.

This game is not on the verge of flopping... if you think so... prove your metrics. The last telethon made $200K and the previous telethon less then a month earlier was like $280K. Thats almost $400K in one month. Since then, they have got another $100K in donations.

Those metrics actually mean something and have substance.

6. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

What guild are you in and how do you have meetings? Instances can hold how many players now? Not to demean or diminish, I am just curious :) I hope the technology comes that we can have massive battles.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

I personally question the sanity of anyone who would drop $2000+ on an unfinished game, but then we all have our biases, right?

8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

well there are worse....or better....vices hehe, depends on how you look at it :p

Time Lord and DepGames like this.
  9. Blitz101

Blitz101 Avatar

I don't think this game is a flop. I think it's alpha and has stuff to be desired but I've been logging in now and then to see the status. Some things have progressed amazingly and others leave a me a little concerned. I've said it before providing the community with alpha access allows players to give opinions and help shape the game but it also leaves room for interpretation because most people are NOT capable of understanding the alpha concept.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    Saosis, Baalice and Time Lord like this.
  10. disastorm

disastorm Avatar

Thinking about pvp again, i think they should do something like increase the amount of xp gained by a significant amount (like 150%-200%) if you are either hunting in a pvp map or if you have open pvp flagged on. After all, since you are risking more, you should get more benefit.

11. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

have you seen my proposal for guild warfare, its based on the uo system.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/guild-warfare-request.59949/

Black Tortoise and Time Lord like this.
  12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Stop by Soltown on Saturday at 1PM pacific time, we have in game meetings and do them over TS. We have had 50-100 people there near the entrance every single week for the 6 months Ive been in the guild with absolutely no problems.

13. Fauxpas

Fauxpas Avatar

what freeshard are you playing? id really like to get back into UO but i havent found a satisfying shard since UO: Defiance collapsed in 2009 >.<.

[edit] and i dont bother playing a shard with 150 online max where everyone has 5 accs standing at the bank ;).[/edit]

Time Lord likes this.
  14. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Perspective: If I saved all ~20 years of my monthly sub fee for UO, I still wouldn't have enough for a Baron pledge. I think we know who got their money's worth. :p

15. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

What guild are you a part of?

Time Lord likes this.
  16. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

$2000 may be a lot to some annd not so much to others. Also, a lot of the people who have done so have done so over the past 3 years. That averages $55 a month. Now, compare that to people in uo who have played for 20 years at $3600 bucks in monthly fees alone no including how much they may have bought houses for on ebay.

Add to that the fact that its is a Lord British game and some of us have been playing his games since the 80's and want to play another.

17. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Freeshards suck. Play Siege Perilous or GTFO ;)

18. Fauxpas

Fauxpas Avatar

with aos item stats, all the BS that followed and enhanced client? rather not :). i prefer publish 16 shards. and i seriously never considered playing official uo since 2004, and wont.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Well, you're not getting an Ultima or UO successor so good luck with that.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

A perfectly valid question... and I've dropped considerably more than $2k.

Baalice and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.