Are all the UO players gone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blitz101, Aug 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

So did I, but then had a moment of clarity/sanity and managed to sell it off and get an Edelmann pledge instead. That I can swallow without choking.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Fauxpas

Fauxpas Avatar

yeah probably lol.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

I started UO with the beta in '96 and left in the early 2000's. Was active on Europa and enjoyed the roleplaying. I don't think SotA will become a similar experience like UO. First because I am a different person now and cannot spend nearly as much time in this / any game as 20 years ago. And spending time interacting and weaving stories and interaction was the foundation of UO. Also UO was an "online" extension on the Britannia I knew from U4-U7. Now I could experience it interactively with other people who had a common understanding of the lore & background.
    The offline Ultimas (from U4 onwards) are about story and moral dilemmata, U6+ became world simulators that just invited for exploration and interaction. UO couldn't provide the quests and story but was a great sandbox - and the community provided for interaction and rp quests.
    We'll find out if SotA will attract a crowd that does the same or if instancing, a much bigger world and less/different ways of interacting with it prevent it from happening.

Time Lord and Fauxpas like this.
  4. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Story is what will kill any sandbox that may be left in SotA, which is not much. One of the main reasons for building a great sandbox is to allow players to create their own stories.

But then most gamers these days have the imagination of a pet rock, so there's that. They probably couldn't conjure up an in-game personal story to save themselves from certain death.

Time Lord, Stahlknecht and Fauxpas like this.
  5. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

I'm still here. I'm not going anywhere (UO and Ultima series player).

6. Stahlknecht

Stahlknecht Avatar

Ex-UO player, still here!

Time Lord and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  7. disastorm

disastorm Avatar

8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I agree with you 100% on this.

I played UO for 15+ years.....only quit because the server were really quiet (Europa) and I was bored. I had loads of fun. In terms of SotA I dropped in a fair amount........in hindsight I would have been better off just dropping the lot on a horse race.

Kaisa, Time Lord, DepGames and 2 others like this.
  9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

not lately, they do have some rough framework though. Its not to my flavor as it does not have any of the elements of what I talked about. Its guild warfare for trophies and leaderboards. In addition anyone else can jump in on the war as you are basically flagged for open pvp even though you are at war with other guilds. So you are basically just flagging yourself open pvp for a trophy. No controls, no alliances (although i hear there working on alliances), but thats why I wrote my proposal because, unless it has changed it stinks lol.

10. Blitz101

Blitz101 Avatar

They should have factions like UO did

11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Yes. It is on the plan and I believe talked about during the PvP hour of the telethon.

12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

agreed 1000% :)

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

U7 was my favourite singleplayer Ultima game. :)

Indeed. I very much enjoyed playing in the factions in UO. :)

14. Vrunk Hrrk

Vrunk Hrrk Avatar

Red 5 standing by

15. Wolfric Walroder

Wolfric Walroder Avatar

Europe Shard was my home from 1998 to 2004
    Then i left to explore more modern mmo games and find there such a feeling again
    And i failed

So i am here now for 3 weeks and already made so many contacts and talks
    with people that share a spirit that i was looking for and missed much
    that i have the feeling, of having arrived at a new home again
    a place to stay and welcome the comming development

so meet you ingame........

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

UO 4 life!

Time Lord and Alexander like this.
  17. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Played UO from the beta in the summer of 97 to sometime after the Felluca /trammel split. Not missing it at all. What I do miss is the type of single player ultima games that Origin pumped out during the 80's and 90's, with Serpent Isle being my favorite. Mostly, I missed the well thought out stories, in depth conversations that had meaning to them, NPC interactions that made them seem alive, cleaver lever puzzles, finding that 'easter egg' in a hollow tree, etc. Anyways, this game can still become like that. I most certainly do have faith in it still.

18. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I feel like adding a lot of this into SotA would really breathe a lot of life into the game.

I don't disagree with the house decorating and wonderland-feel sentiments here either. That stuff should happen, but it should happen alongside the world being at least a reasonably dangerous place, not instead of it.

19. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Ten yr vet of UO. And i am still here. There are things i still love and miss about UO....but I am thouroughly enjoying this game. Its a nice change..but there are still things i miss. Fishing from my boat and treasure hunting. Those were my favorite things. Also all the seasonal festivals we had. Those were fun days. I played on Chesapeake and Lake Austin

Leelu, Time Lord and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  20. Armar

Armar Avatar

Hi,

i did play UO from 1998 to 2001, first on the US Servers, later on "Drachenfels" where i had been member of a small "Anti" PvP Guild/Fraction.

Started playing SotA 2 days ago and i am about 20 hours into the game. So far its nothing like i remembered UO had been. Pre Trammel, pre [removed derogatory (Berek)] UO, that is.

When i died for the first time in SotA i had been getting mentally ready for running back to my corpse to recover my stuff. But low and behold, its ALL still on me. After reincarnation. I mean, WTF, one keeps all of his stuff when dying?! Maximum would be what you wear and maybe a weapon. I would prefer fully lootable though. You could create safe PvP- Zones and maybe no looting zones as a beginner area.

This is a frickin [removed derogatory (Berek)]game, thats not UO in any way. Thats for people crafting their asses off and/or spending money on the Sota Store and then build yet another player building no one needs.

Then, PvP: LoooooL, Consensual PvP? OMFG. You must be kiddin. Even "Shadowbane" had been better than this.
    SotA rivals Shadowbane in "lagginess" though. - Sure, classic UO players will leave this game. SotA has all features which destroyed UO.

Shame on Lord British, or better, Lord of the [removed derogatory (Berek)].

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2016
    Salient, DepGames, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.