what is max skill now 80?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chatele, Sep 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

and should i cap all my skills at 70 except for a few at 80? Not sure what to do here, some say cap all at 60, some say 70 ... For PVE and I am an Archer pure breed ....

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    Acred and Tahru like this.
  2. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

I say 80 for attacks, because that's when ya get your 5th glyph.

Innates and Base Stats are gonna depend on your build a bit.

Acred and Tahru like this.
  3. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Technically, the cap is 200. I find 80 to be very sufficient for most things.. and XP to get higher is very disproportionate to the benefits.. but this does not stop some from going well above 100!

Acred, Tahru, Fauxpas and 1 other person like this.
  4. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

In PvP, or for casters, the answer is different but for melees I disagree.

For melees you should lock at 40 for active skills. (before the focus penalty kicks in)
    there is only 10-15% damage difference between 40 and 70 in active skills, but a 45-65% focus difference.

Only after you have tons and tons of focus to spare should you start striving for 80's to get the last glyph.
    The short of it is, I can kill twice as many mobs before I need to rest up, and my killing speed is totally unaffected.

If I watch what I'm doing (e.g. don't get spam happy) I can kill All of Deep ravenswood, and only stop to regen focus twice.
    Once before I pull the lich mages, and once before I pull the Lich archers.

(because of all the rezzes, and the double camp pulls full of mages and archers, each of those fights can take quite some time to finally end, if you let the mages and liches rezz repeatedly for maximum xp)

5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Reach for the stars friend!

6. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

hmmm so as an PVE archer, should i then cap all skills at 70, since thats where most of them are ALMOST at .... my main archery skill is 71 already .... rest are in 60's or am I already screwed?

7. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Your passives, (e.g. main archery damage buff) the sky is the limit, and you should reach for the stars like Themo said.
    I would even make taking your main damage buff passive to atleast 100 a priority before working on anything else.

For you actives, if your not having any problems with focus, and you don't need the last glyph just leave them where they are for now.
    just focus on other skills/passives that will give more bang for the buck for now.

Acred, Tahru, Chatele and 2 others like this.
  8. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

For just Pve I'd lock them at 40, the only thing I get for being in the 70's and 80's in my skills like riposte, double slash, whirling blades etc. is just more focus cost for very little noticeable difference in damage. My innates and level matter so much more than the very slim damage going higher than 40 in skills do. After testing it I believe I'll be turning my skills down to 40 to be more effective until they fix it. Running with my husband who is around my same adventure levels into the 70's, that has roughly the same build and their skills at just 40, he can keep focus a lot longer than I can can, do around the same damage, but keep on killing long after I've ran out of focus, so his damage ends up being more.

Acred, Concord, Lord Bankee and 5 others like this.
  9. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

ty all for your wonderful advice... So glad I asked.... now at least i have a hankering on what to do .... ;):cool:

Acred, Tahru, Forseti and 2 others like this.
  10. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

That's me!

11. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

LOL wow wish I could get my hubby to play, he is not into games :( so sad .... :rolleyes:

12. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

1 more question .... not training and Maintaining, I know maintaining uses some exp. to keep it at what it is ,,,,, BUT does Not training mean it will loose exp??

Ice Queen likes this.
  13. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

First a bit about decay..
    For the first 72 hours after you die, you build up "skill decay" (basically xp penalty tax), the next time you die, that tax becomes due and you pay it. The tax then starts building up again until it hits the 72 hour cap, or you die again.

If a skill is set to maintain, the death tax is paid from your experiance pool, (adventure pool for adventure skills, Produer pool for producer skills)
    If a skill is et to "-" not training, the skill pays the tax directly and doesn't affect your xp pool. (meaning slowly but surely the skill will go down, over the course of weeks, months, or years depending on how high the skill is, and how often you die.

Acred, Audacity, Chatele and 2 others like this.
  14. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

ah ty so much, lol I understand it better now TY ....

Acred and Ice Queen like this.
  15. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

When I was 80 I started noticing people posting about adjusting the skills, but I didnt understand why. Now Im 110 and I have no idea what "the extra glyph" means :/

16. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

You get an additional glyph for an active skill at skill levels 10, 20, 40, and 80. This is in addition to the one you start with at skill level 1. So, from level 80+ you have a total of 5 glyphs for a given skill. You may receive another glyph at level 160, if the pattern holds true. Only the developers know for sure right now, as I don't think anyone has gone that high in a skill yet.

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Since locking active skills at 40 seems to be better than having them at high levels, this tells me that the focus cost needs to be looked at and readjusted.

Acred, lollie, Forseti and 9 others like this.
  18. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

If the focus cost is to be so high past 40 they could make going past 40 in skills that cost us more focus do more noticeable damage, which is the real reason to even raise your skills up high right? ;) Just to raise it up higher and cost more focus for little damage improvements to get an extra glyph doesn't seem a good tradeoff at all.

Acred, Lord Baldrith, lollie and 10 others like this.
  19. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Was wondering why you guys shared that vendor. Was going to buy some gold ore from you last night at 4k for 100, but they sold before I got back to it with the gold.

My chain lighting is at level 74... it costs 25 focus per cast and has a max damage of 72 on the tooltip. It's 130 when stacked 4 times. Focus cost definitely sucks. I think at level 40 it would be somewhere in the 60-65 damage range for the max. However, stacking makes it much more affordable to cast. It also helps having 580 focus atm.

20. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

You must have came by right before I restocked. There was more than 2.5k gold ore on there when logged out, Down to about 800 now I see.

Like I said it's different for magic and PvP, I leave that answer to the people that know what they are talking about.

Acred and Leelu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.