Do skills decay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bamboozle, Aug 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bamboozle

Bamboozle Avatar

Can somebody please explain how skill decay works?

Neonis and Acred like this.
  2. Gix

Gix Avatar

If you have zero points in your XP pool, the skills you use will start to eat XP from level 20+ skills that aren't set to Train or Maintain... assuming there aren't any that are set to Untrain.

Acred and Black Tortoise like this.
  3. Bamboozle

Bamboozle Avatar

Gotcha. But this only happens if I am playing and my exp pool is zero right?

If I'm inactive for a few weeks, my skills don't decay right? Only exp pool decays a bit for inactivity?

Acred likes this.
  4. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

@Kal_Ort_Por
    From what I understand skills collect decay, but they never collect more than 72 hours worth of decay at a time. The actual decay is triggered by death, so if you die you may notice that a skill goes down. You can set a skill (that is above the minimum level required) to "maintain". This has the effect that when you die, enough of your exp pool is consumed to offset the decay. The same goes for skills that are being trained. So when you die, you will see your exp pool drop to maintain the levels of the maintained and trained skills. If your exp pool is at zero, I assume that the skill level will simply drop at death because there is no exp pool buffer to combat the decay.

5. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I'll try to expose it with bullet points and provide the figures as i remember them (may not be exactly clear but i think they work towards exposing the point)
    • As time goes by, a penalty starts to build up (proportional to the amount of skills you've spent or your character level), up to a maximum (that's reached in three days).
    • When you die that penalty kicks in, and then the penalty goes back to zero and starts building up again (dying multiple times in a row don't yield multiple penalty applied since for the second death the built up penalty is close to zero.
    • The way the penalty works is the tricky part. It's primary effect is to reduce your skill points by a certain amount. However, the effect changes according to the training regime you have on the skill
      • Every skill that's set up to Train-Mantain will take the required XP from your XP pool to keep it's value (Train skills also take XP from your XP pool to raise their value when you exercise them). If there's not enough XP in your Pool so all skills set to train-mantain keep their value they'll decay, losing the appropiate amount.
      • Every skill that's set up to not training or unlearning will lose value according to the penalty built, and will never take xp from your pool to keep its value. Unlearning skills also lose a little amount of its value every time you exercise a skill and part of it returns to your pool as XP.
    I think that covers the basics.

Stundorn, moko, helm and 2 others like this.
  6. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Correct - your skills decay when you die, and you have to be playing to die :).

Also, great username ;)

Mitara, Acred and Bamboozle like this.
  7. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

If you look in you backpack there is a book called player guide. In there is a page (its got clickable links) explaining most current game mechanics, its kept pretty up to date.

Stahlknecht, Acred and Kal_Ort_Por like this.
  8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z-svq1OvcZwViqGxFCKdjH3NCn2LTfLuGny5qaAqjTM/pub

I know is is nto under skills but Death - -

Death also inflicts decay on any known skills over level 20. Upon death, skills set to “Training” and “Maintaining” will consume pooled EXP to maintain their current level, and skills set to “Not Training” or “Unlearning” will drop. See the Character Progression section below for details.

Lesni, Acred and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  9. Bamboozle

Bamboozle Avatar

Thank you all!

Stahlknecht, Acred and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

some skills do not count against decay up till you go over level 40. Those are skills that have child skills dependant upon a minimum skill requirement in the parent skill to aquire the skill.

However I've noticed that the child skills do not appear to have a minimum level of skill (such as 20) before they can be set to lower. DO they decay or not at level 20 or 40? I don't know but you can set them to drop wherease you cannot set a parent skill to drop below the minimum (which is totally fine since it never counts against your xp pool again).

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  11. Modu

Modu Avatar

I don't know - I've done a lot of dying and my Ignite Weapon which is set to not train has not gone below 40. I don't have the child skill below it trained.

Fister Magee likes this.
  12. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I agree, not sure if it ever moves, I lock a skill and leave it forever. One thing is certain, it does not lose a level.. maybe some progress? But again, I have not seen this in action yet.

13. helm

helm Avatar

Has anyone actually measured the approx rate of decay yet?

A player at certain adv level has a certain amount of accumulated XP, so if all the skills are set to "maintain", players with similar levels should have similar amounts of decay that should then be measurable by observing the change in the pool, right?

For example, let's assume a level 70 (or a level 80, 85, whatever) guy with exactly one million XP in the pool. We can perhaps assume that the "unused" XP in the pool does not decay, also we can mostly disregard the non-decaying low level skills (the relative amount of XP assigned to them is negligible anyway). Our guy waits for 3 full days without doing anything, takes note of the XP pool value, goes out and dies. What kind of drop in the XP pool value can we expect?

StevieD and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  14. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

So die early, and die often? haha

15. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

I have like 60 points that wont seem to decay, they are 20-20-20 under range, when the game decided that I should a ranger/ bow user. I like to drain the 60 points.

16. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

LoL because the bow is the best LMAO

Marcus Antoninus likes this.
  17. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I've never once seen the devs comment about if decay is working.. I've brought it up enough. I don't think it is yet.

Ackinma Zatochi likes this.
  18. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Decay is working. As for the skills set to not train that are at 40. Notice the next time you turn them back on...either it takes way more to increase, or it will drop below 40 if their is no child skill associated.

StevieD, KuBaTRiZeS and Fister Magee like this.
  19. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Ok, I just tested this. I lost no exp, and I turned on a skill that has been 60 for like a month, it went up its usual amount when I cast it right away. I have not died since Wednesday. I did rezz at ank. If anyone wants to take this a step further and see if you do not rezz, you lose something, go for it, and actually test this. I have not ever used the maintain ability for you are doing nothing but wasting exp. Before you answer a question like this, you should make sure you know the answer before you post. Fister had the correct answer.

Fister Magee likes this.
  20. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I've been looking at the amount of XP drained from my pool after dying, but not exactly keeping track. Dying daily the first in the day i died it substracted around 3k.

Chris has said a couple of times it's working as intended.

StevieD, moko and helm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.