Societies

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Jynx, Sep 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jynx

Jynx Avatar

This is something I would love to see eventually. Joining as many different societies as you like.

Societies would group people together with a singular common goal.

Example:
    Someone might be in a guild, but would like to be associated with other archers/alchemists/roleplayers/writers/mages. It doesn't need to have any special features other than belonging, association and a chat.

Some examples:
    "Bad Roleplayers United"
    "PVP Culture Club"
    "The Tom Lehrer Appreciation Society"
    "The Hospitallers Association"
    "My own super secret fun group"
    "Emperor's Tailoring Squad"
    "Alchemists Society"

And while you're at it, give an example or two of a society or club you would create or join.

2. Krohon

Krohon Avatar

Sure that guilds do not cover all the needs of social interactions. RL we may be member of several groups, say a political party + a sport team + fans of a TV show + a game! Ah, and a religion too. As far as they are not overlapping, it's OK.

Acred, Jynx, Time Lord and 3 others like this.
  3. Jynx

Jynx Avatar

That's exactly the idea, @Krohon :p

Krohon, Acred, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yes please

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-of-group-types-to-the-guild-framework.20880/

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...wns-vs-guilds-vs-societies.17545/#post-273607

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ds-any-further-details-yet.15473/#post-253647

etc
    The most obvious example is someone who is active in
    a guild
    a town
    a creative group
    a business association
    for such a person the current 1 player 1 guild limit really impedes good play.

Krohon, Acred, Jynx and 4 others like this.
  5. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

I wish I could like this twice. Please, please, please can we have this?

I'll totally bring cookies to Austin if yes!

Krohon, Acred, Jynx and 3 others like this.
  6. Ellrynn

Ellrynn Avatar

Yes , It would be good

Krohon, Acred, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

>>>--->Would you like to join this Society?<---<<<
    Yes/No

Just as we join into guilds, I believe we need Societies in the form of adding a new tab, or linking the "tag you are flying over your head" to dictate what friends show up within your guild communication list. Yet as a Society, anyone within that Society could ask anyone to join into it's group.

Our current gaming mechanics within our friend's list, is what our guilds are in a physical way. Other than our special list of friends (our guild), we have no way of creating an additional list. It's my belief that this should be dictated from what we choose to fly as the tag over your head. When you have chosen to hide your affiliation or hide your name tag within the options, the player should loose the ability of bringing up any additional list (such as their guild list). I think that particular purpose is still filled, by those same guild mate names, having already been on your friends list.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Krohon, Jynx and Acred like this.
  8. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I agree with Jynx.

In days of yore, guilds would say 'you can only be in our group.' I know this is a well-meant approach to understand active guild membership better. But it also fails to recognize that almost no guild is all things to all players/characters even if they are trying to be. In the process of being generic enough to please everyone, that approach may not cover special interests in enough detail.

Societies fix that: A player can be in an adventure guild but also become a member of the Church of the Dark Star society. Or they can become a member of a jazz band society. Or they can join a fishing club from participants of multiple guilds that meets at a particular time. Or they can join a lore masters society that includes all interested SOTA players. The sky is the limit.

I do think that there is nothing stopping this from happening now, manually, without game design. But having a way to organize and join these in game would be great.

Krohon, Jynx and Time Lord like this.
  9. danjacobsmith

danjacobsmith Avatar

This system could also be used for single players looking for grouping. I endorse this idea and I'm ready to support it! hehe

Krohon, Jynx and Time Lord like this.
  10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~The Bozo Fan Club Society Party Hounds~:D:D:D:D:D
    I like what is being said here. Imagine if you had a good hunt with a certain party you had been with, that party could then think up a name, which is not needed to be a registered name, become a Society and meet up later. In this way there could be any number of Societies all named "The Bozo Fan Club Society" without the need to be unique.
    @Berek Community Management Territory :D
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Krohon and Jynx like this.
  11. Krohon

Krohon Avatar

The issue is analogue of the dichotomy between "folders" and "labels". We can use a single folder for a given file, but we can have many labels for it.

Labels are better.

Jynx likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.