MMORPG: Review Part 2 - A Shroud of Confusion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, Aug 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Well In your case scenario you dont take money from people... so its totally different.

2. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

That sums up my feelings - its silly to "review" a product at this phase of its development. Its like pointing out that your new house is quite drafty when only the wooden frame is up.

I dont agree with the first part, I think persistence was necessary to increase engagement and thus funding for the future. Its really unfortunate that most of the world doesnt really let the fine print sink in, the "under construction" info and "early access" language. Much like the author's closing, many people think theyre "paying $45 for a game," when in reality they are funding the game's development in exchange for access to its current content/state. this is the root of the culture of the game, but many people (much of the steam community?) seem to misunderstand that.

Baalice and Tibs like this.
  3. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

lol yeah, the comments section on that are full of jealous haters for sure.

Which is fine with me, I'd rather people like that to go back to farming cupcakes and gummybears on whatever trash mmo's they playin'

so jelly over 10 mills, it gives them chills while we all enjoy ultima thrills, laughing at their baby dills

sad the author was clearly peer pressured by all those fine folks in his audience into giving the game a dishonest review like that.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  4. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

[​IMG]

jammaplaya and Tibs like this.
  5. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

It's the double edged sword called "Early Access". It provides devs with a means to fund the development of a game in an early state. But due to the fact that this early version is sold, people expect to know if it is worth paying the money.
    So as a dev studio which uses Early Access and charges money for an unfinished product they have to live with early reviews and early judgement.

Raxhelm and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

They do indeed. Which is why it's so incredibly disheartening when the very people that say they want the game to succeed put all their energy into negative actions.

jammaplaya, Baalice and Tibs like this.
  7. Phoebe

Phoebe Avatar

Sadly a lot (most I suspect) MMO players will take persistence as a mark that it's a soft launch. We're expecting people to join in in the coming years with us who have had a head start in the game into an established economy.

People don't like doing this. It's a well known saying in the MMO industry that 'you only get one shot at launch' and in the perception of many MMO players SOTA has already had that shot. Saying we've gone persistent but we aren't yet launched will not compute.

8. Drocis the Devious

So here's what's wrong with your post. If we fast forward a year to the launch of the game and we're successful, no one will remember your post. You won't be held accountable for being wrong. You may very well become the biggest fan of SOTA there's ever been, and say "I told people all along this was going to be a very successful MMO".

Or, maybe you're right, and we should just pack it up right now. We should just shut the servers down immediately and stop wasting time and money. That's really what you're saying right?

Or, maybe we should just stop trying to predict the future based entirely on gut feelings in the moment and let the developers finish making their game? What do you think about that?

Baalice likes this.
  9. Lace

Lace Avatar

Weren't thre these game hint lines I forget what game but I beat my roomie over the head when he called one for some game we were playing and paid them 10 bucks for some kind of hint.

10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Skimming through the review and looking at the summary. It seems very very fair.

Raxhelm, DepGames and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  11. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Well reviews and player opinion of this game overall is not good. Its mediocre. It was good but the trend pulled it down. So to be worried is warranted. Just shunning the non believers is wrong. But thats whats going on.Id prefer to see them adress the issues. I guess tech team knows thats there is a lot of work to do to make the game better but they hardly post here. All the moderation has done here is generate hate.

E n v y likes this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

The only people that get moderated are the ones that break forum rules.

Maybe people should just learn to follow the rules? I have to watch what I say on here all the time. I have to regulate my opinion of people on here constantly.

The biggest problem we have here is that some people want this to be 4chan because they're not able to formulate logical conversation and debate sophisticated topics without making personal attacks. Some have made an online career out of using bad behavior to mask their inability to form logical and convincing arguments.

The moderation prevents a lot of that from occurring, and so those people get angry because they're exposed as having a voice not worth listening to. I wish for their sake they would attempt to approach communication on these forums differently, because the truth is that everyone's opinion counts, just not everyone's delivery of that opinion is constructive.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    Black Tortoise and Baalice like this.
  13. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Have to agree with the article. Definitely confused on what they're trying to accomplish. The appeal to this game so far seems to be more masochistic in nature then fun.

14. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

Well said. Choose your words wisely and there's no fear of moderation. I recently had one of my posts deleted and it was fair. I made a late night, tired and angry post and it was a mistake. Unfortunately, the thread was closed before I could retract and apologize but it was removed so I'm glad for that at least.

People also somehow equate moderation with banning. I've never said anyone should be banned but it was suggested I should be banned for responding in kind. Moderation isn't black and white. I haven't seen instances where it is as one-sided as people claim it to be.

15. Drocis the Devious

I'd love to see the worst thing I've ever said on these forums. It shouldn't be hard to find since it's on a regular basis. Please provide me with an example of something really horrible. (or just an average insult, that's fine too)

Baalice likes this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

It's not about having a different opinion. That's fine.

But having an opinion that is either not backed up by facts, a logical conclusion, or strong support that doesn't rely completely on false narratives and conjecture is not just "having another opinion" it's like people are saying the sky is green. But beyond that, there are people that can't even say the sky is green without making the conversation personal.

Here, I'll give you a perfect hypothetical example. Say someone disagreed with me about [insert whatever topic here]. Now let's say that I believe [topic] is good and they believe [topic] is bad. So I say "Topic is good because of X, Y, and Z." And they say "No, SOTA broke kickstarter promises, moderation is horrible, and you're not a real pvper." Now what does any of that have to do with [topic]? Nothing. Which is why it gets moderated. It's a bunch of false nonsense that's unsupported by any facts, and there's a personal attack on top of that.

It's not ok to just say "I think it's like this because I feel it's like this". You have to support what you're saying, and even then people may disagree with you and that's ok because this is a discussion forum. There are people here that disagree with me on everything. But they don't attack me personally, and they give reasons beyond "I just feel that way" and they don't make stuff up about the game that's not true. The moderation is very good here and if it's favoring anyone it's people that have self control and can follow the rules.

Baalice likes this.
  17. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

+1 Exactly. It's not what you say, it's how you say it, as I've stated before. Peoples' posts aren't moderated because of their opinions. They're moderated because of inflammatory, derogatory and/or offensive embellishments to the posts containing those opinions.

Edit:
    Like I said, I did it and I'm not shocked it was removed. Completely out of character for me and yet it happened... but I'll sure be conscious not to let it happen again, I assure you.

18. Tibs

Tibs Avatar

If character progression is logarithmic (as it appears to be), it will not matter much that we all have such a head start: They will be able to achieve rough parity over time, catch up as it were. If not completely, then close enough to be competitive. And a developed economy will also, I think, be a good thing. It will be a challenge to market well, but it isn't out of the question.

Baalice likes this.
  19. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Never use your game account on these forums. Based on my experiences with this "community" since 2013, I learned very quickly that grudges never go away and virtues are only followed when someone is looking. The wolves are rabid if you disagree so stay anonymous. I don't know if you can still purchase $5 posting accounts, but I created a handful after some of my friends were run out of this community for nothing more than questioning the direction the game was taking. There are a handful of people here who use the report feature as a weapon. You've already had run-ins with two of them. They'll try and get you banned. Protect your account. If your account gets perma-banned, you don't want to lose your ability to view the restricted forums if you have a Dev+ access level. This way you can express your displeasure when there are things you don't like and if the wolves are successful running you off, you can just jump on over to the next account.

Just a suggestion.

20. Drocis the Devious

Or you could follow the forum rules. That's also an option.

Tibs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.