Do skills decay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bamboozle, Aug 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

That's a relief...I would hate to think they would have to ban anybody who died in game for using an exploit. :p

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  2. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

Alright then.... just basically stop dieing and you wont have any problems.... I get it now ! :)

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  3. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Not once, that I've seen... honest.
    :D

4. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I just finished testing this, was at 117,114 exp pooled, and after death and getting rezzed at ahnk, was still at 117,114. I had all my skills turned off, never to maintain. I then turned on soothing rain and cast it and it went up normally, even though I have left it at 60 for a long time.

5. helm

helm Avatar

Hmm...I jumped off a high building, and it's been four days since my last death. Did not rez anywhere, just waited. I have all relevant skills set to maintain, or some are under the decay limit. I would have expected something to have been subtracted from my pool after this death, but it stayed exactly the same. Am I dying incorrectly or what? :oops:

KuBaTRiZeS and Ackinma Zatochi like this.
  6. disastorm

disastorm Avatar

If your skills are turned off then your pool won't decrease, rather instead the skill will go down, unless its at one of the special tier points I believe ( Ive heard there are certain values that it will never go below once you achieve that value ).

I've never tested the exact numbers, but it has seemed to be that I've lost some xp ( maybe 1 or 2k ) when I die.

Oba Evesor and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  7. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

The manual states:
    Now if some of us will test however we can...?

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  8. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Fully tested, did not rezz at ahnk or by players, lost nothing, nothing set to maintain, skills not used for a month still went up normally. Is it possible the exp you used maintaining your skills before you died is what you think was death exp loss?

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  9. helm

helm Avatar

@Ackinma Zatochi, if you have your skills set to "Not Training" state, then there is nothing precise to measure the loss, i.e. the small progress bars under skills are likely not precise enough to measure any change. For example, at level 60 a full single level costs about 2500 xp for an active skill, and the total accumulated xp for the entire skill (levels 1-60) is about 27k. So for example if the decay over 3 days (and here more than 3 days mean nothing, as the maximum decay is always 72 hours after last death) would be, say, 0.1% of the accumulated skill pool (a wild, almost certainly incorrect guess just for the sake of argument) for that skill, it would mean about 1% decline in the progress bar of that skill - there are likely not enough pixels in there to display that kind of change.

What I do not understand is why my own death experiment did not produce any decay. As I understand it, all the necessary conditions were there: enough time since the last death to see measurable change, all relevant skills set to maintain, enough XP/levels to observe decay, enough spare change in the skill pool to counter any decay. Still - not a ripple in the pool. Dead calm. Is it really working as intended? What could I do to verify this properly? @KuBaTRiZeS, any ideas?

Fister Magee and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  10. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Everytime i've observed an XP reduction i had skills on training, so i thought i'd give it a try with all skills set to mantain and a high one set to not training. The expected result was to see a bit of my xp pool taken away (it's been at least two days since my last death) and a bit of the skill set to not training to loss a bit of progress.

I just ran a test (cool way to say i jumped from the top flor of my house!) trying to reproduce what you're all seeing and surprisingly to me, neither of the above happened. My XP pool hasn't lost a single point and my Aimed Shot (the skill i set up to not training) has the same value as before. So for now i can confirm that skills mantaining or not training seem to be immune to decay. Looks like we are all dying incorrectly @helm :p

Now i'm not so sure everything is peachy :p are we missing something @Chris, or is decay actually not working as intended?

Fister Magee and helm like this.
  11. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Yep, just ain't working! When will anyone listen to me? :D

Ackinma Zatochi, KuBaTRiZeS and helm like this.
  12. helm

helm Avatar

But we do! For example, it just got @KuBaTRiZeS jump off from his top floor ;)

13. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

There are arguments a tester cannot reject...

[​IMG]
    :D

14. helm

helm Avatar

Just for the sake of (scientific) completeness, I did the same but instead put a few of my lvl80 skills to train (instead of maintain). And jumped. It's been about a day since my last death, so it should have shown at least a ripple in the pond. No such luck - I came back as "fresh from the fight" as ever, admiring the moon reflection on my XP pool.

Ackinma Zatochi and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  15. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Is that all players will be GM in 25 skills after one year of play ? Look like ridiculus if we can do everything.

helm and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  16. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I am glad to see people are testing this now to see for themselves, for science :).

helm and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  17. helm

helm Avatar

18. helm

helm Avatar

Can someone please verify that it actually works for them?

StevieD and Abydos like this.
  19. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Decay or Not Decay !!!!

StevieD likes this.
  20. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I am guessing we introduced a bug when we changed up how decay and "Maintain" works. I regret to inform you that we intend to fix the bug... :(

Saosis, Acred, Abydos and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.