Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Cancelling toolbar slugs on the keyboard

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Quenton, Sep 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

If I have a skill bound to 1, but have slugs in my deck, and one of those slugs appears on 1 instead of my skill, I usually have to right-click it away.

Can we change that so if I press 1 on a slug, it does the same thing as right-clicking it? Pressing 1 in that scenario just does nothing at the moment.

I want to be able to manage my toolbar with the keyboard, my movement with my mouse.

2. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

agree, more keyboard liberty!

Mitara and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  3. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Ctrl-1 , check your controls ;)

Although never tried it on a slug, as I thought the idea was not to have them...

Fister Magee, Mitara and Baalice like this.
  4. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

That would significantly improve user experience on keyboard control.

Having to press the control key to abandon the slug will take away your fluid character WASD movement control.

5. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Can just fill your deck with glyphs you dont use. If all spots are assigned or locked then you wont get slugs nor will you get the filler glyphs.

helm likes this.
  6. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Its rebindable already , Left ctrl 1-0, there are 10 bind that can be setup , 1 for each key already , its called Hotbar Discard 1 - 0 ;)

..... nvm misread, you already got it, doh :)

7. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

We are aware that ctrl + 1-0 or the right click can be used to get rid of the slug. The point of this topic is to propose that the slug should also be rid off by just simply pressing 1-0 keys to improve user experience since right now it doesn't really do anything.

Elwyn, Bom, Katrina Bekers and 3 others like this.
  8. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

Slugs don't make sense anymore. Since we can now lock all our cards in place why punish the player that is actually using the deck system with slugs? The slugs don't just appear because we aren't using all our available skills but also when we have progressed to the point that we *should* have gone and picked up other more advanced skills. Why should I be forced to acquire additional skills if I'm happy with my low level skills?

This happened to me this week as I finally outgrew my base template and started getting slugs. My only option (as a random deck user) was to go invest in new skills so I could add them to the deck and remove the slugs. Now I'm required to have 16 skills rotating through my combat bar instead of the 13 I did have while a locked combat bar player only needs 10.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

hitting the keys activates the skill, a slug is there since players chose not to load a skill.

There is another way to do this and there are a few, train more skills ( I know you don't want to), lock the slot (you do not want to), there are more

These are your choices the game does not need to adjust any more to this concept

System is fine and players can learn to play as is or use proven good mechanics already in place to play.

Plus you can key bind any SINGLE key you want to do this.

10. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I'm confused as to why anyone would oppose this? If a slug comes up and you press the number on the toolbar that you'd normally press, nothing happens. Why not just have that bound to activating what appears, including slugs?

11. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

You can always just assign extra glyphs to your deck and don't assign those glyphs to any slot
    If you don't have any open or unassigned slots, they will have no valid place to draw, so they will in effect "auto discard" and a replacement card will be drawn from the deck. There is a slight delay for the "empty draw" so you wouldn't want to build an entire deck that way, but it is useful for getting around slug glyphs.

The reason for minimum deck size is, if only put 10 cards in a draw deck, and assign each card to a slot (don't lock them) then what ever glyph you cast would instantly be redrawn and you could spam an ability amazingly fast.. (the only thing I miss about low levels)

The only reason I can think of would be because that makes dumb macros much easier/smarter.
    Assign damage attacks to all 10 slots.
    Have keyboard macro that presses all buttons 1-0, Slugs get auto discard and the first attack that's available gets spammed.

As is, the seperate hotkeys make you choose to discard or use.

Personally, I don't care, if they make this change or not.
    To me slugs means you are doing something wrong with your deck that should be addressed immediately.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    Bom and helm like this.
  12. helm

helm Avatar

Discard using CTRL- compound keys is extremely awkward for WASD or ESDF users, simple rebinding of the discard keys is unfeasible for the same reason. I use discard only very rarely because of the awkwardness. Forcing beginners to use discard to get rid of slugs is a "fight against the UI" concept with no real meaning.

Therefore, while I certainly do agree that the presence of slugs is a symptom of the deck configuration needing immediate attention, I support the proposal because a) it's probably easier for beginners, b) in a way it's perfectly logical (discard is the only logical action for a slug) and c) it is easy to implement (just change the default action for a slug to be just do nothing + discard). Not so much concerned about dumb macros because slugs are easy to circumvent anyway.

Quenton likes this.
  13. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I think most of the combat mess is because all of the cards are dealt into the keys themselves. So people end up using too many slots to get combos and I end up with not enough defensing skills and too much dragging stuff around trying to create combos. And the net result is face tanking while playing a matching mini game, rather than dodging, kiting, LoSing, and circle strafing.

Imagine a poker game where I'm dealt two cards to play with but 5 cards getting mixed in to create the best combos. I'd rather see the deck system switched around so more of the effort in your hands was focused on defense, rather than offence. Especially since the offense doesn't involve much in the way of aiming, timing, etc. It's all lots of busy work for little real thinking or skill.

Quenton likes this.
  14. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I agree with the "NO CTRL" click to deactivate slugs even though I don't get any slugs at all... ^_^

Elwyn likes this.
  15. helm

helm Avatar

By the way, everyone do check out that @Rofo's guide to deck building, it explains quite a few things really well, including how to avoid slugs. :)

16. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

You can do that already, only with more risk of RSI. So why force people to use the control key to get rid of slugs other than that you're a big meanie?

(Right-clicking is even less of an option because of reticle mode, and it's also a usability fest trying to select hotbar icons with the mouse.)

17. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Sounds like some just want slugs removed for whatever reason. They aren't a problem at all with proper deck management. GL! :)

18. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

without slugs we could have spam decks. If they allowed this, then they would need to raise focus cost of glyphs with short cooldown times to balance out PvE and PvP.

19. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

You shouldn't have slugs, if you built your deck according to the rules. Slugs are fine, and force us all to build within guidelines, to prevent 'spam decks' and other strange things. :)

20. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Bypassong slugs or immediately dismissing them is a work around for cool downs - sorry but build a deck without slugs.

There is a reason for slugs, they are a penalty.

This is from the latest update.
    • Fixed bug where when you would create a deck and drag the skills into the abilities bar, then remove the skill out of the bar, it would stay in your deck counting towards the total glyph count. Now glyphs that cannot be drawn to any slot become slugs. They turn grey in the deck list and "(Slug)" is appended to their name. The tooltip for these glyphs explains why they are a slug. The tooltip for the slugs (drawn in combat) also explains why the slug exists.

Fister Magee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.