What happens when graphics become too realistic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hermann von Salza, Sep 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

Can a Pc game become and look so real that one may struggle to with " uncanny valley " ?

2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

One day I think that virtual reality games might have photorealistic graphics and we won't be able to tell the real world from the virtual world apart.

3. lollie

lollie Avatar

I'm just waiting for the holodeck.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I seem to recall something similar with a final fantasy movie. The characters looked pretty real but while some people loved it others felt a bit disturbed. Those little flaws in animation that you can't quite put your finger on but the brain notices can mean a lot. I don't think games need necessarily move in that direction though some surely will with mixed results.

It will be interesting to see how mo-cap acting develops in the future.

5. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

just give it time and we'll have lifelike looking graphics... heck, in time, movie studios will just pay actors for their likeness and use CG... o_O

6. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

The uncanny valley (I prefer zombie trench) is a real consideration. However, motion capture and conscientious design can mostly eliminate it in modern games, mostly by just being aware that it exists. In fact I think the low point in PC games came during the time of using photos pasted over low poly models (like Might and Magic V?). Already renders can look photorealistic (most of the Ikea catalog is digitally rendered, not photographed), but we can't do it yet in real time. PC graphics power needs to be able to render 30 minutes of process time into maybe a second and we will have full photorealistic games. (I'll throw out the industry standard ... 10 years from now ... :))

7. Raxhelm

Raxhelm Avatar

That day is not as far off as some might think.

Some games are already using photogrammetry and for example Lidar

and I suspect this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=55&v=2Mv73FbGaIo

You can also see how far Unity is coming along in this real-time video

which is based on a technique described at SIGGRAPH 2016
    https://eheitzresearch.wordpress.com/415-2/

SOTA has, how should I put this, a bit of catching up to do.

Edit:
    Here is a serious game I have on for my Oculus Rift which uses photogrammetry and Lidar
    http://www.chernobylvrproject.com/en

It's amazing you actually feel like you're at Chernobyl walking around

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  8. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

all ones needs as accessories, smell and touch; in context with VR, where did we see that last...Demolition Man

Great lol

9. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Grab the back of your neck occasionally and see if you can pull the plug.

10. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

11. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

12. smack

smack Avatar

We're already in the uncanny valley and will be there for many decades to centuries to come....

13. Womby

Womby Avatar

I recommend checking out The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux. Impressive use of photogrammetry.

14. Raxhelm

Raxhelm Avatar

I have The Vanishing of Ethan Carter for the Oculus Rift. The graphics are probably the best I have seen for a game in terms of realism. The Chernobyl project has better graphics but I would call that a serious game. It's more for education. The problem with The Vanishing of Ethan Carter for VR is it has really high motion sickness. It's one of the few games I have not been able to overcome the motion sickness with. However, I think it has options to reduce this. I should give it a try again. Many games are like a book. If you can get past the first chapter you're hooked and I don't think I played The Vanishing of Ethan Carter long enough to give it a fair chance.

Edit: another game which I think used something like Lidar is "Mythos of the World Axis" https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1221236131237268/ This is probably one of the most creative game ideas I have ever seen.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  15. Raxhelm

Raxhelm Avatar

It would be awesome if Port got a Lidar (or paid a private research institute to do the work) and scanned a real catacomb. They could do that for Soltown catacombs. If they did this they would be progressive instead of having graphics that feel in many ways more than 10 years old.

I don't think SOTA's release model is traditional like everyone describes when they say it's not finished yet. I think of it more like a rolling linux release like Arch (though not nearly as progressive as Arch). It should never be done. As long as the money is rolling in they should keep updating it. They could update the Soltown Catacombs using Lidar from real catacombs and leave the others dungeon data as is for now and update over time. Honestly, the underground world in SOTA is really small now anyway.

The coolest catacombs I have ever seen are the Catacombs of Paris https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacombs_of_Paris
    I highly recommend this if you visit Paris. It's probably the coolest thing to see in Paris. It might not be the first place to visit on a date though (that's what I did) .

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  16. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

I think people generally misunderstand the uncanny valley effect. It doesn't mean a negative reaction when something is too life-like, the effect occurs when something has mixed life-like and artificial elements, like a video game character who looks completely realistic but walks in a non-realistic fashion. Once you remove or modify the unrealistic element, the effect goes away.

So a 100% lifelike thing wouldn't cause it.

17. Fauxpas

Fauxpas Avatar

^

thats the problem though. lifelike has a lot of factors going into it, even if we exclude taste/smell, chemical reactions and so on ([edit] not to forget touch [/edit]). our eye-brain coordination works "very" fast. the problem with 3d even if in a VR enviroment, is that you at best, can barely control where your vision has its focus. 3d movies to me are a pain to watch for that reason. considering how fast our physis manages to accomplish that, theres at least a decade to go at current pace (already considering x² as the rate were close to go at) to get that.

18. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Exactly. 100% probably can never be achieved. At least not in our lifetimes. Of course, as a kid in 1966 watching Star Trek, I never thought we'd have any of those things in my lifetime, so...;)

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  19. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

How old of a kid in 1966? Here I thought you were in your 30s, maybe 40s, tops.

20. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

I was seven in 1966.

However on forums, I generally try and keep my responses at the same maturity level of the person I'm talking to, so your confusion about my age is understandable. Not offended by it at all. :)

Baalice likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.