Easter Eggs & Real World References (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Rinaldi, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

In this thread, please post only the following items:
    1. Easter eggs
    2. References to the real world
    3. In-game references to the SOTA community
    4. In-game references to SOTA community outreach
    Please include the following information in your post:
    1. Zone where the surprise is or where it starts
    2. Brief description of the surprise & what it refers to
    3. Post step-by-step instructions for completing or finding the surprise (try to include screen shots).
    Many of the books in game have a direct and obvious real world connection. It would be preferable to list here only the texts that more obscurely refer to the real world (e.g. the "Ode to Spot" poem that is a reference to Star Trek).

Also see Solutions to Puzzles & Treasure Hunts for more in-game surprises.

=================================

COMPILED LIST

Tributes to the Community & Community Outreach
    1. Tributes/Memorials to fallen members of the SOTA & MMORPG community
    2. Other tributes to the SOTA community
    Easter Eggs:
    1. The initials of level designer Esteben Zaldivar (E. Z.) are etched in the snow [Sanctus Spine]
    2. The Singing Rock [Braemar]
    3. Sword in the Stone - reference to Excalibur [West Ravenswood] & other references to Excalibur.
    4. Death Bunny - reference to a scene in the movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail [Spectral Mines].
    5. Memorial to "Sweety the Bird" [Spite]
    6. Homages to classic samurai movies: Part 1 [Celestis]
    7. Homages to classic samurai movies: Part 2 [Celestis]
    8. Zombie movies - multiple homages to zombie movies [Eastmarch]
    9. Tribute to the heavy metal band Iron Maiden and their zombie-like mascot Eddie - an NPC zombie named Eddie can be seen doing the "headbang" an "sing" emotes near an iron maiden inside the prison [Libris Ruins].
    10. Miniature map of Novia and Hidden Vale - the fountain in the central square of Aldwater shows a miniature version of the map for episode 1 of SOTA [Aldwater].
    11. Jackalope - a Jackalope head is mounted on the wall of a house [Crooked Shank].
    12. Skeleton's picnic - at the top of the highest mountain in Blood Bay, you can find a beautiful view and the remains of a picnicker [Blood Bay].
    13. The Princess Bride movie
      • The Cliffs of Insanity - there is a replica of the Cliffs of Insanity and the terrain where the sword fight occurred [Elad's Lighthouse].
      • Battle of Wits - homage to the scene where two characters try to get the other to drink poison [Elad's Lighthouse].
      • Florin - reference to the country in which The Princess Bride was set. [Elad's Lighthouse].
    14. Farewell to Bag Mode [Solace Bridge Outskirts]
    15. Changing your chat style - equipping certain items automatically changes your text in chat to match the theme of the item.
    16. Pirates of the Caribbean - this is a reference to the Disney theme park attraction and to the movies.
    17. Multiple Fantasy Book References - including references to The Hobbit, Harry Potter, The Wheel of Time, The Sword of Truth,The Kingkiller Chronicles, and The Chronicles of Narnia.

Real World References & Easter Eggs
    1. References to the Ultima games
      • References to Ultima Locations and places
        • Sosaria from Ultima 3 - the continent of Novia in SOTA has a similar shape to the continent of Sosaria from Ultima 3. The location of many towns and underground zones are also similar.
        • East and West Montor from Ultima 3 - the "Twin" Cities inside Blood Bay are probably reference to the cities of East and West Montor from Ultima 3, which were also on either side of a waterway [Blood Bay]. A reference to East and West Montor is also present on the overworld map.
        • Yew - the city of Yew appeared in multiple ultima games, and it appears as a NPC town in SOTA.
        • The Lost Vale - this is the name of an area in SOTA, and was also the name of the unreleased expansion to Ultima 8.
      • References to Ultima themes or items
    • References to television programs
    • References to Music, Singers, Musical Groups, Musical Theater
      • Freddie Mercury from Queen - there is a bard NPC named Farrokh Bulsara, which was Freddie's real name [Ardoris].
      • Iron Maiden and their zombie-like mascot Eddie - an NPC zombie named Eddie can be seen doing the "headbang" and "sing" emotes near an iron maiden inside the prison [Libris Ruins].
      • David Bowie - a tribute to David Bowie's Magic Dance from the movie Labyrinth (see Part 2 of the post).
      • Shooter Jennings - multiple in-game references to Shooter.
      • Soltown - this town's name is a sound-alike for Soul Town. As Lum stated "many NPCs in Soltown have names alluding to musicians on our Earth". Lum also said, "Soltown has a lot of soul." Musicians that were alluded to in Soltown include Rick James, Stanley Clarke, and Chad Kroeger.
        • Rick James - an innkeeper NPC named Richard James was a reference to musician Rick James [Soltown].
        • Stanley Clarke - a bard NPC named Stan Clarke was a reference to jazz musician Stanley Clarke [Soltown].
        • Chad Kroeger - a beggar NPC named Chad was a reference to Chad Kroeger of the Canadian band Nickelback [Soltown].
        • Shooter Jennings - an NPC named Shooter Jenkins is reference to country musician Shooter Jennings [Soltown].
      • Cats (The Musical) - a reference to the musical Cats by Andrew Lloyd Weber, which in SOTA is referred to as Rats by Anthony Boyd Weber [Westend].
      • Daisy Bell (Bicycle Built for Two) - this is the first song that was sung by a computer, and it is referenced in SOTA.
      • The Space Bards - this group created a song about Lord British, and the song can be found in game. Also, the gypsy dance/emote in-game derives from a dance in the Space Bards' music video.
      • Up Where We Belong - reference to the lyrics of this song [Ardoris].
      • Love is A Many Splendored Thing - reference to the lyrics of this song [Ardoris]
      • Love is All You Need - reference to this Beatles song.
    • References to Movies & Books
      • Excalibur - a sword in the stone [West Ravenswood] & other references to Excalibur.
      • Raiders of the Lost Ark - an area under the pyramid has several references to the cave scene in the movie [Blood River Forrest].
      • King Kong - a large powerful clockwork monkey is named K'kongg, and may be a reference to King Kong [K'rul]
      • Monty Python and the Holy Grail - several references to this movie are present in-game, including:
      • 2001: A Space Odyssey - this is a reference to HAL 9000, the computer in the movie [Lord British's Castle].
      • Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - this is a reference to Deep Thought, a computer in the book [Lord British's Castle].
      • War Games - this is a reference to the computer in the movie [Lord British's Castle].
      • Bell, Book, and Candle - the alchemy shop in Ardoris (the City of Love) is called Bell, Book, and Candle, which may be a reference to a movie of the same name, where the woman (who owns a magic shop) uses a love spell to seduce a man. It may also be a reference to the items used in Ultima 4 and Ultima 9 [Ardoris].
      • Rocky Horror Picture Show - an emote in game is the Time Warp dance from the Rocky Horror Picture Show (see part 2 of the post).
      • The Princess Bride -
      • Aliens - homages to the movie Aliens [Highvale Outskirts].
      • Ready Player One - reference to Fyndoro's Tablet of Finding & Sword of the Ba'Heer from the novel Ready Player One.
      • A Clockwork Orange - This movie is set in a violent future. In the movie, a cane-wielding thug rapes Mrs. Alexander. Eventually, she dies of pneumonia, although her husband believes her death stemmed from the assault. In SOTA, there is a grave with the inscription "Here lies Mrs. Alexander, victim of the modern age", and inside is a skeleton laying next to a walking cane [Ruins of Ravensmoor].
      • The NeverEnding Story - reference to the horse that was drowning in the swamps of sadness [Norgard Fens].
      • Mad Max - a reference to the final scene in the movie Mad Max [South Broken Road].
      • Logan's Run - a 1976 sci-fi movie.
        • The New You - in the movie, a security officer named Logan breaks the rules of the society. To avoid being caught, he seeks to disguise himself using futuristic plastic surgery in a shop called "The New You", where he can change any aspect of his appearance. In SOTA, there are "New You" shops where you can change the appearance of your avatar.
        • The computer in Logan's Run - this is a reference to something that the computer says about an ankh. The ankh is a major symbol in both SOTA and Logan's run.
      • Pirates of the Caribbean - this is a reference to the Disney theme park attraction and to the movies [Tenebris Harbor].
      • Super Troopers - a reference to the The Cat Game where the police say "meow" (after following the link, see "Ring of Cat's Grace Spoiler").
      • Captain Ron - a reference to the main character in the movie [Fishing Expedition].
      • Caddyshack - a reference to the characters in this movie [Well of Aldur].
      • Watership Down - a references to the Lapine rabbit language in this book [Spectral Mines].
      • The Dying Earth - reference to a creature in this book.
    • Computer & Computer Game Related References
      • Famous computers from 2001: a Space Odyssey, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Logan's Run, and War Games.
      • Zangief from the Street Fighter series - Zangoff, the NPC blacksmith, is named after Zangief [Ardoris].
      • Razer computer products company - Min Liang Tan, an NPC in Ardoris, is a reference to co-founder and CEO of Razer. Also, the Razor logo is seen in game.
      • Massively.com - Massively.com was website dedicated to MMO news, but it was shut down by its parent company in 2015. As a tribute, a tombstone was placed in SOTA with the name "Massively" inscribed in runic [cemetery in Braemer].
      • Noah Antwiler (aka Spoony) & "What's a paladin?"- a bard NPC named Spoony appears in-game (Central Brittany), and gives many references to the Ultima games and to Antwiler's review of the Ultima games (including the infamous "What's a paladin?" question).
      • Agile Manifesto - a reference to the Manifesto for Agile Software Development (aka Agile Manifesto), which was created in 2001 to help improve the software development process, especially through frequent reassessment and adaptation of plans [Blood River Outskirts].
    • References that were removed from the game
      • President Trump - one of the NPCs in game may have been a reference to Donald Trump [Blood River Outskirts]. Note: This reference was removed in Release 49 (12/2017). The Release 49 notes, stated "Phineas Polish: We removed some dialogue from his conversation that made it seem like he was intended to refer to a very famous real world personality."
    For Book & Leaflet Collectors
    Here is a list of books & leaflets that are part of the Easter eggs & references listed above.​

Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
  2. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  3. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

Real world reference to Star Trek: The Next Generation
    Zone: Blood River

In Blood River, there is an excerpt from the poem 'Ode to Spot' from Star Trek: The Next Generation (which was written by Data about his cat Spot). In SOTA, the poem is called "Cats" and was written by an Elf.

The poem is written on a leaflet at location -80.746, 55.133, -72.812 (green arrow on map below).
    [​IMG]
    The leaflet is on a dresser next to the bed.
    [​IMG]

The leaflet is called "A curious Elven Note", and it contains the poem.
    [​IMG]

Players with a Developer pledge tier or higher were able to name an NPC and create its persona. An early backer elected to have "ode to spot" written on a leaflet. Lum The Mad (a developer alumnus) confirmed this in his post below.
    [​IMG]

This Easter egg was originally described by: @Acred - link to post, @Concord - link to post, @Alexander - the post below!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  4. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I posted one in the screen shots section.

The poem 'Ode to Spot' but by another name written by an Elf. If you look it up, it is identical to the poem recited by Data in Star Trek the Next Generation. season 6 ep 5
    Heres a screen shot in the spoilers tag.

[​IMG]

5. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

OK, this may not be an easter egg related to something from the real world, but this is more of a nod to Ultima fans, especially those who have played the single player games since Ultima 4.

When in Jaanaford, look up the Inn keeper, Jenna Karttunen and type in the key word 'Jaana'. It won't be highlighted in any of the dialogue. Then read her response.

6. Animosh

Animosh Avatar

Chaos Spell: Tabula Rasa, a previous Richard Garriot game, or it could just be the latin translation of what the spell does

7. Sentinel

Sentinel Avatar

As a player of all the original Ultimas, I was excited to read your post and quickly logged in to make the trek to Jaanaford. I had to survive the guantlet run through Vertas Pass as I could see no other way to the village. Unfortunately, unless the developers recently changed her dialog, it was not quite an easter egg in the manner in which you described because when I asked Jenna her "NAME" she replied with an answer that contained a reference to "JAANA" and it was an underlined keyword.

Regardless, it was worth the trip to read her dialog about my old travelling companion and I thank you, Alexander, for sharing it with us.

8. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Yes, I agree that it was pretty generalized, and I also never actually called it an easter egg, as I indicated in my post. It's more of a nod and much is implied. I think this is all they can do without violating the IP of EA.
    I will post the screen shot I did of it to save others the arduous trip and everyone else can decide for themselves on this. I think the reference that Jaana believed in justice seemed a bit off, considering that she followed the virtue of compassion and was a healer.

[​IMG]

9. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

These are real people.
    Starts in Soltown, and then on to East Perennial Trail.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  10. Lace

Lace Avatar

In the new you store in Ardoris (off the docks) there is a guy named Bruno Martelli
    I don't know if the name was intended but he was the name of one of the characters from the show Fame, who was always in trouble with his classical music teacher. not sure if intended but I watches that show when a kid and remembered the name lol.

11. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I *wondered* if anyone would get that...

12. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I also assume that you are a Star Trek fan. That 'Ode to Spot' poem was hilarious :D

13. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

Also near the docks in Ardoris is a bard by the name of Farrokh Bulsara...

...who is otherwise known as Freddie Mercury...

...who is probably most typically known from the following meme:

[​IMG]

...but seeing as we have a mostly older crowd, perhaps folks may know him for other reasons, such as I do.

14. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

Additionally...the Soltown Innkeeper's name is Richard James.

...some may call him Rick.

15. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

I may need @Lum the Mad to confirm...but the titular gustball vendor in Ardoris may have gotten his name from interesting circumstances...

[​IMG]

16. Lum the Mad

And the bard was briefly called Bill Collins... but some call him "the Boot"...

Someone here mistook it for Phil Collins, so now he's called Stan Clarke instead.

Soltown has soul.

17. Lum the Mad

Both the Ode to Spot and Mr. Bulsara were done as backer NPC requests.

18. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

Easter Egg: The Singing Rock (this was found by others and previously posted, but I re-posted it here)
    in Braemar (city on the Hidden Vale)

When you climb onto the Singing Rock, the usual ambient background music changes to a song by Scott “Lum” Jennings (one of the developers). Lum told me that the song (called "Lum's Lament") was sung at one of the first developer hangouts and was "silliness done on spur of the moment." They elected to preserve his creative vocals in game!

After you enter Braemar, go to the southwest region of the zone, and find the graveyard. Jump on the the large rock and stand in the location shown in the picture below...and you'll hear a nice diddy by Lum!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  19. Lace

Lace Avatar

Not sure this is an easter egg but the basic Fishwoman from POT is called Jolene, this of course takes me back to Dolly Parton and me hearing her say there really was a Jolene that was a bank teller and that her husband was going to the bank far too often, but in other interviews she says it was a random woman whose name she asked and thought the name was cool who knows lol! It has been remade a few times, I recall hearing the song first when I was a little girl and then later at a jr deputy sheriff rodeo (when I was covered in dirt from failing to catch a greased pig) and my daddy taking me out to the car to go home, and some cover band started playing the song and I remember saying oh Daddy we cannot leave till this song is over, its my favorite --- 6-10 year old me didn't really get the song but knew she liked it lol)

not sure if easter egg to dolly but i renamed my pot fisher woman Jolene Please Dont take my man (apostrophe wouldn't fit)

So how about a little Dolly

This song lyric is so perfect, and paints one of the best pictures to me in music ever. (kinda describes my mom, a few exes and every other irish lass lol)

Your Beauty is beyond compare
    With flaming locks of Auburn hair
    With Ivory skin and eyes of Emerald Green

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  20. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

Real world reference to the Street Fighter video games
    In Ardoris

Zangoff, the NPC blacksmith in Ardoris, is named after Zangief, a Russian wrestler known as "The Red Cyclone" from the Street Fighter video game series.

Here is Lum's post about the reference (Lum was a developer in the past).
    [​IMG]

According to Street Fighter Wiki "While not fighting, Zangief enjoys hopak (Cossack dancing)...", and as it turns out, Zangoff in SOTA also likes dancing (see text in the pic below). Zangoff mentions "The Dance of the Seven Veils", which ultimately came to equate with a strip tease (and was sometimes depicted as a belly dance during which veils were slowly removed to expose the dancer). In fact, you can learn the "Belly" dance emote from Zangoff. You can also learn the "Blush" emote from him (perhaps he blushes with embarrassment when watching or doing the forbidden dance? Or maybe the red color of a blush is a reference to his "Red Cyclone" name?)

[​IMG]

Note: Before Ardoris received its major graphics update (in which Ardoris was converted to an Asian-style theme), Zangoff more closely resembled Zangief the Russian wrestler.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020