Suggestion for PvP Lots/Outlaw Lots

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Myrcello, Sep 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lollie

lollie Avatar

People are still able to buy tax-free deeds from other players - for real money or even game gold. This method is open to everyone equally, with enough resources (real world resources or game resources).

People can buy taxed deeds. This method is open to everyone as above.

People can find lots on an equal basis now game is running by looking around the various towns. Again, something we can all do equally.

People can go to a Player Owned Town and grab a lot in a town that is pvp-enabled, meaning more opportunity for pvp encounters. This is something only pvp players are likely to be interested in.

People can enter in the deeds lottery, where all players have a chance at a tax-free deed they could place somewhere in the game world. Again - we could all do this equally, for a low price, using only game mechanics and by playing the game to earn it.

I think the game is going to be okay, enough people are happily settled and enough people are looking to settle - even the very cash-poor (real money poor or game gold poor) can find a space in some other player's home and rent a spot or a container for very low amounts, and nobody really needs a castle anyway...one trunk in someone's back yard is good enough for a starter player...everyone can build gold as they play more and find their own home once they're ready. Something we can all do equally.

Setting aside "special" tax-free lots in NPC towns would be a waste of the limited available NPC town lot space, as with the very low numbers of full loot pvpers (always going to be a tiny percentage of gamers who play by those rules, in any regular game) they'd be empty for long periods of time - even if this magically caused the whole of the pvp world to start playing, this precious lot space in NPC towns still wouldn't fill up fast enough, nor is it fair for the next two reasons. 1) It would devalue the pledge rewards people paid great deals of money to gain access to - if this was done how much do you think the next player-funded game would see nobody willing to back it, as companies could just change the rules and make your money suddenly worthless. 2) On top of all that this is also limiting a way to get yourself a tax-free spot to a very small subsection of players, vs the other, above ways that every player in the game has equal access to.

2. Forseti

Forseti Avatar

I think you would be suprised how many people would flood in if we had some full pvp system in place like this. A true high risk / high reward. I don't really care where the houses could be placed, npc prt pot whatever, it's more about a reason to play the game. Right now sota is just not as appealing as it could and should be.

I don't understand being worried about empty lots or houses..I mean the world is EMPTY. It couldn't really get worse. Even the lots that are claimed, look how many people just felt obligated to claim their lot because they spent the money, but have not bothered to play the game more. A ghost town is a ghost town, claimed or unclaimed. It won't get much better without a bigger player base. You live and die by the player base right now. Now imagine you get these pvp hungry, poor but want to earn a house people back into the game, and now there is a clear path to earn houses, and have reasons to SPEND more money in the add on store. Because they really like the game now, and they actually have a house to place add on items. Without going overboard, what kind of PVP related stuff could Port put in the add on store? See where I'm going with this?

Yes big pockets got us this far at all, and we should all be thankful, but they must give the game back now if we are to go the rest of the way.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    Blink and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  3. lollie

lollie Avatar

Again, waste of the very limited NPC town space to set aside those lots only for "special" ownership - build in a Player Owned Town that's pvp-enabled if you'd prefer being closer to like-minded players, or find a spot (like the rest of us do) in whatever town that has a free lot open.

And buy yourself a tax-free lot from someone if you require no taxes, or enter the lottery open to us all and hope to win a deed (then find a spot as above).

4. lollie

lollie Avatar

Incidentally it also occurred to me how you could exploit this mechanic - make an alt that is full loot pvp enabled, farm kills with a friend to get max status and gain entitlement to the special rewards, get your tax free lot in a prime NPC town then give co-ownership rights to your "real" character (on another account), and keep your tax-free prime spot lot without risking a thing by playing your actual character who now has a tax-free prime spot lot for their own personal use, for the rest of the game.

5. Forseti

Forseti Avatar

I'm just.. I'm trying to point at the bigger picture here. None of that sounds very appealing, and that is evident by the amount of interest in the game right now. People were crazy hyped about this when it was announced, and now it has an army trying to bury it alive.

It's going to take a change to the system, to shake it up again, bring that excitement back that so many people had, I mean this seemed like it was going to be a sure fire grand slam. But it feels like we're on strike two in the bottom of the ninth. It's pretty much laid out here in this thread what happened. And the OP is actually a no bs genius way to fix it. Wouldn't even take much time and resources to implement it!

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  6. Forseti

Forseti Avatar

Well, that has an easy fix, but it's good that you bring stuff like that up. The idea is genius but can't be perfect by itself, there would be some details to be addressed, like yours above. But I do hope the debate goes on, I must go to sleep. Thank you for engaging with me in a polite manner.

7. lollie

lollie Avatar

np, it's good to communicate.

8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Full PvP loot is a non-issue. Not gonna happen.

Ok, what do you mean by that incredibly non-specific statement "come play as serfs in an oppressive world"... I mean, could you be a tiny bit more specific ?

Oh, and who were these people who were having these wildest dreams and what do you mean by "how feudal this game turned out" ?

What was the "hype" that made some people crazy when SotA was announced ?

What did Port say during the Kickstarter or after that led you to believe that Full Loot PvP was ever gonna happen ?

9. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

No one against it read my suggestion discussing here reading responses.

No one would get anyithing comparable to a Backer reward with this.

Are you all truly saying

Tax Free Lot is the same as

Tax Free only if you stay Full Loot PvP activated always!!!!

Do you really think a Lot that you can only keep if everyone at anytime can kill you will get all your belongings is
    comparable with your rewards Lots?!

Do you know how much harder it would be to maintain it?

I find it just sad to throw out suggestions no one takes even time to read first.

Do you think Going Full Loot is going to be more easy then grinding to pay Tax?

Not one of you "no sayers"
    did even consider to think through my suggestion

Thank you

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  10. lollie

lollie Avatar

Consider this - there are literally no incentives to play as a crafter (things cost more than you can sell them for, lots of people selling same items further reducing prices and limiting opportunity to sell, there's random stats and breakages when crafting items, it's extremely time consuming, you lose money non-stop when training crafting, I could go on...) yet loads of people still craft as a playstyle.

I keep hearing pvpers need incentives to play as their chosen playstyle...has it ever occurred to you that maybe people don't play a pvp playstyle (let alone a full-loot pvp playstyle) simply because it's not something people actually want to do?

No amount of incentives will make people all come rushing to play as a pvper or a full-loot pvper, and that's just because people simply do not want to.

I think special incentives for niche playstyles need to be removed and let people decide on an equal playing field just what in a game they want to experience, for the enjoyment of the experience itself...not saying rewards should be removed - just saying rewards should be given equally and there should not be extra incentives for one particular playstyle over and above another.

In short - give everyone access to the same things should they work towards it, rather than restricting certain things only to certain players/playstyles.

Games should be equal and fair to all.

11. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

To say there is no incentive to craft is not correct at all.

I will give only one example of countless "existing" incentives to craft -

Best Items are crafter.

- Done. Your argument is destroyed without even mentioning : crafting for economy, for trading, decorating and more

Then your hole giving incentive to a niche group only - again not true.

Eberyone would have access to my suggestion.
    No reward would be provided that is not also available within the game on countless POT. A Lot.

It is a further Choice for the Game.

Nothing else.

12. lollie

lollie Avatar

You can buy those same items for much cheaper than training your own crafts up to the point where you could make the item for yourself. Saving loads of time and money, once again highlighting how the crafter has no incentive to craft yet they still do.

- Done. Your argument is destroyed.

As for "everyone has access" to full loot pvp, sure, but nobody wants to play that way, effectively restricting these extra special rewards to a very small niche group who get to take advantage of the extra and very precious stuff they get rewarded with simply for playing the playstyle they prefer.

Where are the extra special rewards for my playstyle? Or the next person's playstyle?

13. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

But pulling out.

My suggestion is up there.

Not waisting my time defending against pure: Against it always

Lollie you are fishing for arguments i
    truly did proofe wrong.

14. lollie

lollie Avatar

That post rather diminishes and dismisses my very well considered thoughts on the matter. But I'm not upset, I know I put the time in to respond with thoughtful points.

Having an opposite viewpoint is not the same as "fishing for arguments". It's simply stating my opinion and explaining my reasons for having that opinion.

15. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

You ignored my responses often enough pulling out a different new direction.

I think you have a already shaped "i M against any form of PvP Full Loot" position

I accept that. Nothing wrong about it.

Just would prefer a discussion with the goal to include us.

Would have been nice to read only one time from you : i think this may not work like this - but if we do it like this may get there.

A pro active discussion i miss.

This thread derailed right away into the usual pro vs contra

Probably both our faults.

A pro active discussion would not only contain: no this can't work. But someone trying to at least provide a different suggestion or compromise.

16. lollie

lollie Avatar

That's disingenuous - I didn't ignore your responses, in fact I answered every post you made directly to me and explained my viewpoint on your post or gave you further information.

17. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Sorry. From my viewpoint i did see it different.
    In case i fail to see it appology. But that is how it is.

18. lollie

lollie Avatar

Just accept I have a different opinion and have reasons for my opinion, and don't regard my posts as hostile or personally directed against you, and then you'll see it differently.

19. Sephros

Sephros Avatar

While I am completely open for multiple play styles and many different game cultures coming together in a single game, Port has kind of made their own bed when it comes to tax free lots. This should never have been a feature that was buyable, but earned through game play through things like you are suggesting. There were so many ways they could have given player incentive in housing, but instead they went with buy for a permanent tax free spot. Now you have a metric butt ton of people who have paid real monies for the luxury of not having to pay taxes and play the game at leisure. You add an alternative way to do this, and all hell will break loose.

I like the idea though, just think it might need to be tweaked a little. Maybe lessening taxes some? In the last telethon, a buccaneers den type place was discussed. Maybe they have something like this already being worked on?

20. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

This idea will never work and anyone who listens to Chris or Starr will understand why:
    "claim anywhere" deed numbers are strictly controlled by Portalarium to ensure anyone with one of those deeds is always guaranteed to be able to find a place in an NPC or PRT town.

It's just a transparent attempt to get no-cost tax free deeds instead of buying the ones available and supporting the game & dev team instead.

There have been several other obvious problems already described by others so I won't repeat them, but I'll add one of my own: Fences.
    I now have a zero real money cost tax free deed and never have to worry about the "penalty" because nobody can get onto my gated lot to threaten me. Game over.

Oh and I can now claim unlimited lots across the land and sell them to regular players for whatever extortionate fee I demand and never have to worry about paying tax on any of them.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and lollie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.