Suggestion for PvP Lots/Outlaw Lots

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Myrcello, Sep 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

pssst..... Factions :)

2. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Yes, I understand, but we have thrown those ideas into the winds as well :)

3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

aye, the reason I mentioned factions is because they usually have an alternate currency and are pvp based. I like throwing seeds of hope into the winds because they land somewhere and start to grow eventually. :)

4. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

There are really two parts to your suggestion.
    1. Have an option for Full Loot PvP. This has been discussed; even Chris has made a post that they were considering scenes with full loot PvP, but they never decided on an option to enable it everywhere. I'm not strictly against this idea, just noting that it would require additional options as not everyone wants it.
    2. Provide housing benefits for PvP. This is a great idea. However, I don't think special lots, or even special deeds, are the way to go for this. Instead, I think there should be a system where you can earn rewards for participating in PvP quests. Factions would be a great way to do this. Having rewards that include raffle tickets, single-use orbs that provide the same benefit of the Noble's Scepter (reduce rent), and houses would be appropriate. Basically, a way to obtain what is available elsewhere through PvP (in this case, lot deed tickets, gold equivalent for rent, purchasable homes, etc).
    I don't see them ever offering a way to purchase deeds with in-game gold outside of the lottery, just because of the potential for abuse. Even *with* the lottery, they are seeing a lot of pushback about how easy it seems to rig for those with enough gold.

5. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Sure! I changed it but kept some of the original for context. Always good to have some explanation of the discussion within the title.

6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Thank you, Myrcello.

7. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Sorry for my grumpy response first.
    It is caused by meaningless Gaming. Grin

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  8. Maeryck

Maeryck Avatar

I like this idea.

I would love to see more and different ways for players to get a lot in game.
    Even tax-free, if it's difficult enough to obtain and maintain.
    Don't have to be place anywhere lots; fixed lots can work as well.
    I'm no fan of the raffle as it stands now; it still needs some serious tweaking, as does the OP idea.
    Why limit the concept to pvp?
    Why not find a way for crafters, etc... to earn a lot in-game?

Ravicus Domdred and Forseti like this.
  9. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I didn't make that conclusion myself. It was the person who was in charge of UO team when they introduced Trammel. He stated that the change to Trammel helped the game boost the subscribers to its peak while the game losing its original flavor. I wish I could find the link to his post. (@Katrina Bekers Do you still have that?)

As far as speculating, I just brought up the example of the games that try to do full pvp, but ended up not lasting for long. There were also several UO free shards out there that tried to replicate Felucca-only ruleset. None of them really last more than a year or two before their player base drop down under 100 clients. It seems the only shard that still holds the most population is UOF and the main reason is because people put so much money into their donation shop and didn't want it to go to waste. The thrill that these people talk about are as good as their nostalgic feeling. It will go away after a few months or so.

Anyway, my point is throwing in a bonehead full-loot open PVP ain't gonna magically bring thousands of people to come in and play. We're gonna need more than that and I think the proposal made by the OP and couple suggestions by others are onto something good here.

Forseti likes this.
  10. Forseti

Forseti Avatar

That could be a very interesting mechanic. Maybe along the lines of work on some land or property, pay for it in craftable goods or producing crops on that land. And after x amount repaid you earn the title and ownership. Sort of like rent to own, but the rent you pay is in craftable goods or produce.

11. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I don't like calling them outlaw lots... but this comes the fact that I claimed a Keep lot in Coral Cove (PVP Town, PRT) and I have no intention of living an outlaw life. To the contrary, I fully expect to be hunting down outlaws and serving justice upon them.

I do like the idea of balanced high risk/high reward. Loot, Oracle ransoms, Guild Warfare, bounties(?) etc... I honestly don't fully understand how it will all fit together or even what to expect when it does, or for that matter what high risk really is in the grand scheme of things - but I do know the devs are giving PVP a nod at present. For as many ways as there are to PVE in this game I want to see just as many ways to PVP.

There really is a lot (that could be) going on concerning PVP right now - check out this thread for open PVP locations already in game.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/open-pvp-locations.61824/

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Forseti like this.
  12. Trome

Trome Avatar

Those numbers doesn't reflect nothing because all the pvpers are grinding xp and gear atm and it's very hard to find anyone that is playing online mode because solo is just more efficient in my opinion when we choose to be a pvpers we should only have the option to play online that would help a lot

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  13. Headquake

Headquake Avatar

Open pvp conquerable city with low tax deed could be great. Each 7 day you can try to conquer it and those who are not in the winning faction got their deed remove and send back to the bank with their items.

14. Aeryk

Aeryk Avatar

I pretty sure the lack of PvP types playing is more to do with the way combat feels than lack of incentives. So saying that, happy to see discussion about the things might help. I'm not convinced by this thread that full loot is the answer (that this has been discussed over and again since 2013 is only partially relevant as with instancing it is possible to test a full loot instance and see how many actually participate). Any path, still quite happy to see the conversation.

The Obsidian Trials are a good step towards making combat better as PvP types generally find extremes in a given system that other player types might take longer to reach. As a bonus, the data gathered *should* help other aspects of the combat, not just PvP. I think this needs to be a process gradually approached, and indeed the team is doing just that. Are castle sieges the only thing that can be done? Of course not, but it seems a reasonable and achievable goal for the interim.

Edit: Holy necro -- didn't realize this was a 2 year old post. Sorry about that! Seems relevant though!

15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Mmm, necroposting.

Thread is 2 years old, @Aeryk.

Jaesun and Aeryk like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.