Dual wield vs. 2Hers

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Ihuma, Sep 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ihuma

Ihuma Avatar

Noticed that 2Hers (blades, buldgeon) just kill alot faster than dual wield (daggers, longswords). Not completely empirical but tested it with +10s and +11s with death life and tremor procs. 2Hers just kill that much faster and uses less focus in the progress.

I spend most of my time in mines. I'm almost exclusively melee with the occasional Stone Fist weaved in.

How are your experiences?

2. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

2H weaving is definitely superior to 1H OH attack.

Think they need to change DW mechanics

3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Do you have any chat log data to back that up with ?
    Damage numbers.... anything ? :confused:

4. Ihuma

Ihuma Avatar

I want to say yes but unfortunately this is qualitative.

5. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Try use Umari HUD to load up the damage data. That should help you verify your hypothesis.

Without looking into actual numbers, there are couple observations here.

1) auto attack on dual wield only use the main hand. Hence less damage are dealt.
    2) off hand attack is a glyph that requires couple skills before it can be trained.
    3) two handed weapons tend to have higher base damage than the one handed ones.

With these, two hander seems to be simpler to utilize and likely to yield more damage overall. I could go around an adventure zone and kill the same group of mobs, two-handed has outshined the dual wield so far.

Shade Cido and Fister Magee like this.
  6. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Using a two handed melee weapon currently far surpasses duel wielding melee weapons in terms of damage output. There's no reason to be duel wield melee the way it is now unless you're just trying to roleplay some specific character setup.

The only good duel wielding currently is duel wielding wands for a caster.

7. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

The scaling of base weapon damage to glyph damage is quite high, as is contributed strength. Blade skills in my case go up huge with a greatsword.

Coup de Grace is truly fearsome, as are 150 dmg spammable thrust crits.

Having to use a glyph for OH atk really gimps it, because you are substituting that for another

8. AceBenSuited

AceBenSuited Avatar

I have always found it weird that dual wielding needed a glyph for the offhand to do anything. Auto attack should use both weapons. I currently only DW for RP because I likes me some double dagger action.

9. rild

rild Avatar

I agree about dual-wield auto attack. Not sure if there are some sweet combos with offhand that make up for it, but making it an active skill instead of an innate skill seems strange to me.

When we compare DW to 2H, the difference would generally lie in attack speed. Is attack speed affected by the weapon used?
    Makes sense that 2H would have higher damage, but over time they should creep closer together.

The advantage with DW would come from increased hits, resulting in more frequent opportunity for criticals and special effects like stun, galvanic blast, life-stealing etc.

10. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Pre-auto attack nerf it may have been closer.

11. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Got to take into account Parry chance with DW, compared to 2 handed. Aswell as the ability to enchant 2 weapons and all that.
    Havn't run the numbers but once the DW skills got rolling, a guy in ORC swears that DW is much stronger then 2 handed. His parry is through the roof, his speed is good. Actual damage output may be better on 2 handed, but im willing to bet it isnt enough to offeset the other benifits.
    *shrug* thats all just opinion based tho.

12. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Had this discussion ingame too, and you can certainly get more +stat enchants etc. The big %s though are halved on 1H (and consume double the silver/gold to process both)

Parry is strength based. I have 79 parry skill, 93 str buffed and run it stacked ~ 3 for most battles. Kicks butt with my 2HS defense. Buff equals about +20 but uncertain what the tally of all are.

Found a pretty heavy read:

https://tapatalk.com/topic/48726-68348

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    Fister Magee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.