The SOTA Asian Mainland Invasion!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Time Lord, Sep 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    The west always understates the east because they overstate the west;
    In warfare, in style, in intellect, in economic power and achievements throughout history.

That's something to think about, $ as they are one of the largest markets in the world o_O

How could we best fit them into our world and not loose something?
    We need a SOTA Asian Mainland Market Invasion Plan!

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-thai-iceberg-dead-by-daylight-vs-sota.55156/

Any Ideas out there?
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    Leelu, Acred, Ravicus Domdred and 3 others like this.
  2. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

I'm thinking Episode 2. Would be the easiest implementation (that is if you are referring to game play instead of just marketing to the Asian side of things). Since we know there are going to be more continents, would be easy to have the NPC's and such have an Asian theme to them. Same concept when UO came out with expansions and new lands: the scenery, NPC towns, monsters, etc. all had that feel to them of whatever area they were in.

3. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

The shogunate in Ardoris has an Asian theme going on - and the new line of viking homes have some obvious Asian influence in their design. I suspect there's some story there that has yet to be shared. Where warfare is concerned... yes! Some themed weapons and fighting styles would be well received. Where markets are concerned... I have a joke brewing that involves Owl's Head, Walmart, and mega guilds... but I'll let that slide for now. :D

wanted to add this... armor and clothing specific to appropriate periods would be an incredible addition to SotA, imo - and would add even greater breadth to our diversity here. I'd love it; and in the pictures below there's a quiver sporting what looks like it could be our chaos symbol!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    Kaisa, Leelu, Acred and 3 others like this.
  4. Fatty

Fatty Avatar

Wonder if I'm able to get a Hiryu as a pet...... :p

5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

The historical medieval Asian, as medieval in Europe, is not always the same time as Asian's...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    This is the way they see themselves in historical films of their pasts, which is not so different, yet it's style does seem slightly so...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Vaentorian, Leelu, Acred and 3 others like this.
  6. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

I'm thinking this:
    [​IMG]
    Like a cross between plate + fortified cloth :D
    Then you have the Asian Neo:
    [​IMG]
    Like a Cloth + Leather mix :rolleyes:
    And last but not least:
    [​IMG]
    It is plate + wolf heads + bear heads to make the SotATron Armor!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

7. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

As fas as I heard the asiens love grinding, so here we are on the safe side already :D

Kenryuu, Leelu, Kambrius and 3 others like this.
  8. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

Nothing will attract Asian players as Wuxia, it's based on their heritage and legacy. if you want to attract Asians, appeal to their culture, not to some westernized imagery of their wars and characters.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kaisa, Leelu, Kambrius and 5 others like this.
  9. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

So.....Voltron?! :D

Leelu, Ravicus Domdred and Time Lord like this.
  10. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

It's interesting because, having played a lot of NCSoft games, Asian influence is pretty much the opposite of the ninja pandas.

Everything has a very Anime style. Aion is probably 7 years old and still remains a beautiful game.

11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]

Leelu likes this.
  12. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

Look at Blade & Soul.

Leelu and Time Lord like this.
  13. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I'm gonna save money for this. LOL!

Leelu, Time Lord and EtherBunny like this.
  14. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

I'd prefer the game stays western influenced. Sometimes less is more and I'd strongly prefer the focus remained where it is now. SotA shouldn't try to be and have everything.

The ninja/samurai stuff in uo completely ruined the game for me. And yes I know the katana had been there since the beginning

15. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

i hope to see other strange and exotic cultures in future eps. i dont think we really need to worry about ninjas and such if we just get new skill trees i would be more worried about humanoid pandas :p and other cash/attention grabs from current pop culture.

16. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

Ehh... you're going to get a bunch of White guys to think in terms of what appeals to the Asian audience? Hell, it's Western culture that lumped South Asians, Mid-Easterners, East Asians, Central Asians, and South East Asians under one big umbrella of the "Asian" category? Is there a formula for the right amount of stereotypical themes to appeal to a particular market? If you want them to appeal to "Asians", then perhaps have them hire some folks who understand the diversity of "Asian" culture and customs and create content accordingly. Personally, I'm of South Asian descent, so I think instead of samurais, ninjas, and funny hats; we could have thuggees, yogis, elephants, and dysentery? Same should go for "African" cultures as well. Why are they always neglected? I'm sure there's a market there. We could sprinkle enough Joseph Conrad to generate content that would make King Leopold II proud.

I apologize for the harshness of the tone of this post; however, as much as I would like to see a diversity in themes, content, and flavor for the game world in terms of continents or regions that spotlight authentic representations of diverse cultures and peoples, I just don't trust this team to bring it about. Sticking with the fantasy races is more in their wheelhouse. As another poster mentioned, there's probably enough grind in this game to appeal to the "Asian" market anyway.

Kaisa, Leelu, Time Lord and 1 other person like this.
  17. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

lol i was waiting for it and wasnt disappointed :) you are completely correct but i hope that they can make up some stuff rather than try to reflect real cultures maybe with an influence from real life. an echo perhaps but not trying to say hey we got some asian theme stuff ingame. and soon to come some xxxxxxx themed content.

i dont really like the idea of the viking stuff for that very reason as it just seems cheap and lazy not creating something unique for the game....

18. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

I agree in terms of the ninja/samurai stuff in uo. I didn't really like the fact they added in new skills and all kinds of crap. Now, as far as SotA goes, I wouldn't want new skills or anything like that, I'd rather just look at different armor models and buildings honestly. I mean, if it comes out, it would have to be in a new episode, with a new continent, so why not make it different. It's how it is now, buildings and such are different over there from what we have over here. Same with creatures/animals/monsters; you can only find certain species of some things in certain areas, just change it to monsters/mobs for the SotA world. And the armor is doable, just take a common theme of the different Asian cultures from back in the day (armor related), and try to mesh it together as best as possible (while making it visually tolerable of course). Then just add in a recipe for it.

19. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

That may work if it's done tastefully.

A big hope of mine is they prevent placement of pagodas or otherwise incongruent style buildings in existing lands. Would really hate to see a mishmash of styles all over the world. Cities should have a consistent character within themselves. You don't see medieval castles in Japan and you don't see Edo period fortresses in England. It would be incredibly stupid looking if players are allowed to place anything anywhere in npc towns

20. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

I like and agree with you here. And yes, tastefully, no Blade & Soul/WoW/Aion style armor. Just find armor/gear/clothing that all of them closely resemble one another, and just simplify it for SotA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.