Radical Proposal: No more add-on store

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Selene, Sep 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selene

Selene Avatar

In the hangout today, it was discussed that building blocks and signs are difficult to sell individually because it takes a lot of steps to put them into place in the store AND get them into game. Starr mentioned it would be much easier to sell them in game for COTOs instead because it is much less coding.

I propose Portalarium does away with the add-on portion of the store ENTIRELY (leaving COTOs, Bundles, and Make a difference packages) and sells ALL items currently sold in the add-on store instead on NPCs in game for COTOs. Then players can buy each item they need individually (which encourages them to buy MORE because they don't end up with excess they won't use) and gives players who don't want to buy COTOs for cash the opportunity to purchase premium items without going through the step of selling the COTOs to other players for store credits (usually at a loss).

2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Yes please! I'd love to slim out the store and make these items part if the in-game economy.

Lord Baldrith and x_Selene_x like this.
  3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I'm sure they're looking at this. Neverwinter is a good example of a game where you pay cash or in game currency for some currency which can be converted to add on items. These can be tricky to balance and very dangerous if you have unbound items where some exploit can truly destroy the economy.

4. Kenryuu

Kenryuu Avatar

This will probably work pretty well. The banking system does need to be improved for bulk transfer of large objects though - especially if these deco articles are located only on specific merchants.

5. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

Good Suggestion @x_Selene_x . Still I would propse the shopsite to stay for reference and advertising these kind of items.

6. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

If OP's suggestion is radical, then consider me radicalized!

I've played many UO freeshards which accept donations and reward with special in game currency, that is able to be traded amoungst players, with donation vendor npcs who sell items.

This is normally the most successful platform for donations. The top scripts for this also allow for the vendors to be updated without restarting.

7. Maeryck

Maeryck Avatar

8. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Excellent idea!

Ice Queen likes this.
  9. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

The downside is that they would be 100% in charge of COTO and gold value as there will be more reference points to look at.

1 COTO = x in taxes.

That tree costs 1 coto? Must equal x gold.

10. Browncoat Jayson

Can do that anyway. COTOS and Add-In Store items have a definitive cash value.

x_Selene_x and Kvow Triumvir like this.
  11. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I like the OP. Would rather buy singles and multiples of items as I see fit.

Friendly wager that Port will inadvertenly price fix the market based on how they price add on items if they do this?

1 in game cooked meal for a month?

The other downside to loosing the addon store is that people need to log into the game to see what's for sale. I check the add-on store most often when I'm just on my phone.

12. Browncoat Jayson

Not necessarily. They would still need to have the Add-On Store in place, to allow you to buy COTOs. So they could also have a "Featured Items" where they show what is on sale. Plus, community apps could easily expand to show the Add-On Store list so players can search for things, possibly even with some metrics like how many of a deco items are placed in a given town. Assuming we get database access at some point, and previously discussed.

x_Selene_x likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.