Request: Report Button for immersion breaking vendor names

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ravicus Domdred, Sep 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

nobody has to.

2. smack

smack Avatar

I like this idea and it should apply to pets, servants, etc. too.

Alexander and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  3. Net

Net Avatar

When I get option to display what vendor sells I will gladly give him more immersive name. Til lthen I will simply use the name to tell travellers what to expect. Just pretend that it is not name, but Vendor shouting to get some attention.

Lord Baldrith, Thwip, lollie and 2 others like this.
  4. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

My point is that if they are going to make Player names fit in with the world story, then Vendors should certainly have regular names. I agree there should be the ability to have vendors speak. But right now people are exploiting the "vendor name". They are not using the Name spot as intended. it should be addressed.

Apollyon9515 and Net like this.
  5. MIdnightvalkyrie

MIdnightvalkyrie Avatar

I run a shop in Kingsport with my guild master. I kind of feel like an idiot for having vendors named with actual names and not advertisements of what they are sellling. With one of them I got around it by giving him a title, but the other one just has a name. You wil have to engage him to find out what he is peddling.

We will still stick to it though, because vendors named "SELL ALL YOUR ORES HERE" just aren't our thing.

lollie and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  6. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

And here I thought it was Edvard on a drunken outing shouting random things in front of people's houses. :oops:

7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

CAN NO ONE SEE THE DOUBLE STANDARDS AT WORK HERE! Its ok "if I want it to be that way" "I'll be damned if I let that person have that name"..........

Fister Magee and narcosis like this.
  8. Birne Gilmore

Birne Gilmore Avatar

Option one (the long way): We could add a sentence the vendors jells regulary into a trading or local channel or that is displayed under the name (and can be switched off in the settings) so that we can advertise our stuff with a "regular" name for the vendor the same time, or ...

Option two (the short or WIP-Way): Give us just a setting to not show player's vendor names.

Until then: Live with Mr. "COTOs cheap and buy Ores" in your street or build up a POT with people who think the same way as you ;)

9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I think vendors should be like any other npc merchant. They "speak when you aproach them, but there name is not "I buy gold for cash" its "Barney McHenry" or something normal.

10. Birne Gilmore

Birne Gilmore Avatar

Sorry, but then we need more ways to display our vendor's sortiments ... easy to see on one look without having to click, highlight or talk (and of cause able to be switched off in the options for those who dislike that). I can understand your point and would be eager to find a good solution so that vendors can have regular names, but just to remove artificial non-immersive names without an accepted alternative (which is the same effective or even more in advertising then a custum sortiment-name) this is no option ;)

11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Vendors should have names attached to the player that owns the vendor. No choices just a static given name. Like a title.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  12. Birne Gilmore

Birne Gilmore Avatar

Funny that most Hardcore-RPer behave like millitant vegans or PETArians :p

Apollyon9515 and Solazur like this.
  13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I just find it very sad and in poor taste what has happened to this game. It has just turned into a venture capital scheme for most. The people thaty actually want to play the game are just getting the shaft.

14. Birne Gilmore

Birne Gilmore Avatar

Oh, I play it as well but also like to make some nice sales with my char who loves to make some gold. The problem is: As long as there are no better ways to show the services (instand with no lesser effect) there is no other option then doing it this way. Most people are using the public vendor most times and people who strafe through the private vendors are rare. If we now would have no way to advertise our wares (and a wood shield with a symbol is nice, but only a step into the right direction) the vendors would even more die out in non hotspot cities. And to post on the forum is also not very immersive (and only a small group of people look into the forum, later after release even lesser compared to the whole gamer community).

I waid the sentence the way I did because Most people would love to give the vendor a propper name if there would be effective alternatives. Just to yell "stop that" and try to force people to change the vendors without an alternative is the vegan/peta way of life (and not let to live).

This is no offense, but just a opinion on the topic: Give options and mechanics and all can be better ... but forget the "this is a Poleplaying game so all people should play serious" because gamers are all different and when the game is released there will come even more "casual gamers" which don't care about RP. If you want a "clean" area by now organize an own in a PoT, but please don't try to force your playstyle to others.

And PS: My vendor is in our guilds PoT and is Namend "Karlheinz Gnötgen", a german name for the german PoT city Dracheninsel, so I feel with you a bit as well ;)

15. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

aye, and this is why we are discussing this now instead of post (actual) launch. :)

narcosis and Birne Gilmore like this.
  16. Birne Gilmore

Birne Gilmore Avatar

japp, good to do so, but to start with asking for a "report button for non-immersive vendor names" was not the nicest way to begin a healthy discussion :p

Solazur and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

that was a tongue in cheek reference to the oppressive movement by portalarium to ban names that did not fit the game world. See to me that is the irony. They will ban a name that says stinky britches but they wont ban a name that says I sell gold.

Vaentorian, lollie and Birne Gilmore like this.
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

The signs help a bit with that too don't they? We need to be able to put our wares on a table, though, and it will help a lot when we have public noticeboards so we can advertise and attract people to shops in other ways. Registering our store name with the town crier, too. It would be really nice if they could find a way to give us runic signs where we could spell out shop names ! But alas...

But come to think of it programming in "barks" for Vendors would also be kind of cool -- like giving a Vendor three different lines of text he can bark out... and he would cycle through them. That would separate the name from the advertising. Although I'm sure some players would end up using that in annoying ways like barking out UTC timestamps.

Though the idea of dressing up vendors, giving them names, programming them what to say is to me still sort of funny in the first place, since they're supposed to be real people aren't they? That goes back to the idea I had about hiring vendors from a pool and not treating them like furniture.

19. Birne Gilmore

Birne Gilmore Avatar

Ok to sum it up: To have the option to report names that are not as intened Portalarium needs to offer ways to advertise stuff (blackboards, Vendor listings with usermade note to them at the towncryers, subtext under names that is optional in the settings, more signes and placable inventory items just to name a few) so that all people would be sattisfied and happy with it. Then we could proceed to clean up the areas of bad names and give the game a more "roleplayish" feeling. Right? ^^

And back to the discussing atmosphere part: For me the problem lies in the difference in the playstyles and expectations of the people in the community and their human nature. Humans tend to have emotions and feelings based on their wishes and perspectives. This leads to many hot discussions which are often to emotional and viewed one sided in the perspective of each participant because they have a feeling on a topic and try to lead the view of other players into their own direction. This leads to non healthy discussions which often include radical wishes or expectations. The key to success is to extract the emotions of people and translate them to an array of their included expectations and wishes. Then take those into one pool, try to find options or mechanics that respect all or most of the included player's opinions and realease the constructed final approach back to make all as happy as possible. It's not allways an easy partand most times a comprominse, but that's the job of the devs. We as players can only give our opinions and start a constructive discussion - or at least should do so - so we have to be aware of the "emotion trap" and try to avoid is as often as possible to stay clean of toxic topics.

I also step into the trap sometimes, but at least allways try to act based on the discribed theory ;)

PS: I hope that are not to long sentences ... we germans tend to lengthen our sentences up naturally ... some german authors of well known novels tended to have sentences longer then a whole page in a book ^^

... and yes, that are all good ways to satisfy many active traders out there ;) (you posted that while I was typing ^^)

20. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

Last night I decided that since I was sitting on a very large pile of gold, and could think of nothing really to spend it on, I would buy Silver Ore. I can mine it myself fairly easily, but since I am working on leveling something that requires silver, I thought I would give it a big boost and spend around 50k on ore/ingots

My goal was to hit every Public Vendor in the more common NPC towns.

I started with Brittany. I hit a couple random vendors with more generic names like Something Emporium or whatever.....didn't see any. I hit practically every vendor with the name Ore in it. Some of them had silver...a lot of them did not. I finally got to the Public Vendor....noted the price down, and warped out via Menu/Enter World Map.

Moved on to Kingsport. Moved on to Owls Head. Moved on to Resolute because I saw a note on a couple players vendor saying Silver for sale in Resolute Keep.

Stopped by a couple player towns near Nightshade keep along the way to see if people were hauling Silver from Hilt to nearby towns. Nothing.

Made it to Resolute...wrote down price. Popped back out and ran down to Ecteter....ditto. Zipped over to Xenos......

I now realized that I had spent almost 3 hours running around looking. And that if I had just mined the damn stuff myself I would have collected at least 200 silver ore.

Since I was in the area, and was tired and going to go to bed, I popped into Elyisium and mined 100 silver ore. (along with a lot of diamonds/onyx) in about an hour.

The point to this story is Player Vendors in this game is like using a Library where the books have no order. You can search for hours and not find what you are looking for.....or you can find a hidden gem that you weren't even thinking of finding.

Vendor names is the ONLY way of trying to put some order on the chaotic mess. It is the only thing that even makes running through the town bearable...sometimes you see some pretty amusing stuff. If you restrict the names, the vendors will only become background noise....like the houses have become.

There really does need to be some more convenient way of locating goods. In REAL LIFE you would give a half penny to kids and send them off searching for you..there would be a common marketplace, where all the stuff is available for sale...not strewn randomly throughout the city. There has to be some way of abstracting that. So far the only way is by renaming your vendor or by using the public vendor (if there is room)

21. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

Okay...after giving it a bit of thought. All the player vendors in a town need to be linked to the Public Vendor. You should be able to just run up to the Public Vendor and see all the goods available IN THAT TOWN, and buy/sell right there. It would give a common meeting ground (like a MARKETPLACE!).

Birne Gilmore likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.