Player Owned Vendor Names

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poor game design, Sep 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I believe that player owned vendors simply shouldn't have names that are publicly displayed. (an alternative might be to have them all read Private Vendor)

Instead, they should have names that are only displayed in the chat window and NEVER overhead. There should also be a way for players that own the vendors to write up something about what they're selling (kind of like the signs have). So if you hover over them they show the writing but if you never hover over them they don't. I believe this would take care of all of the annoying use cases, and keep the player owned vendors back into the shadows just a step from where they are now (which is directly in your face). Also, making the names NOT display EVER would probably be a good thing for system usage and help performance in towns where there are a lot of these vendors.

2. 3dmark

3dmark Avatar

I don't know. I really like being able to cruise down a street and see from the vendor names what they sell. It's already hard enough finding stuff on player-owned vendors without adding extra steps.

Apollyon9515, Leelu, lollie and 8 others like this.
  3. smack

smack Avatar

I like the freedom players have to rename their pets, vendors, etc...and crafted items too :)

Like in the other thread, I think we can use the same NPC name mechanic on vendors, pets, etc. too. You don't know their name until you interact with them or ask them. And perhaps that would be governed by the existing game option "Hide Unlearned Names" for those that want it displayed by default regardless.

Or, just hit "N" to turn off all nameplates as you run through the shopping mall Owl's Head?

4. Selene

Selene Avatar

If there was the ability to put in a shop description for a lot at the town crier, I could see restricting this for visual reasons, but it is already hard enough to get players to take the time to visit individual vendors instead of just checking the public vendor... so I think this would be too restrictive to the current player driven economy.

5. BiggieD

BiggieD Avatar

I like the current setup for vendors tbh

Leelu and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  6. Katu

Katu Avatar

Considering how laggy it is to actually browse the vendors, its great to filter them out by just checking the name.
    And No, even if it would be blazing fast, I still prefer visible names that act as a billboard.

Leelu likes this.
  7. Net

Net Avatar

Perhaps when they improve shopping experience.

I think, that for example Twon Crier or Public Vendor in town should have list of all things available on all vendors, much like in a bank. stuff placed on private vendor could be bought only on that vendor, but you would get lot location there.

Another thing I would like to see is overhead chat, much like NPC vendors have, for advertising the goods. And last there could/should be title from which you know what to expect on the vendor.

EDIT: Perhaps a temporary measure would be to allow you to right click vendors and pets and have option to "permanently hide name"

Themo Lock, Leelu, lollie and 2 others like this.
  8. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Maybe give players the option to turn it on or off?

Also... I kind of assumed that the name is the name of the shop... not the name of the NPC...

9. Birne Gilmore

Birne Gilmore Avatar

in short: -1 for this. We need a better solution to handle this (with making all people happy not only one side of the community). But a good option would be that the name disappears if the vendor is empty (with no offerings and orders) so that we don't have to grind until we find something ;)

10. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

Let's not create more distance between supply and demand until we get a more fluid economy.

The current model already has plenty of barriers to engaging an appropriate demand curve and immersion needs to wait until systems are working appropriately

Birne Gilmore likes this.
  11. redfish

redfish Avatar

I agree except for the automated listings of vendor goods, which I don't like. I think this just encourages junk vendors -- vendors that aren't specialized and just have junk piles of items -- and think the game should encourage specialization and also encourage active advertisement by players trying to sell their goods. I think its better for the player economy for the long run and will explain if anyone wants to get into that conversation... I think it would be good, though, if Town Criers would register a shop name and a description. You would separate the shop name from the shop description, so the shops will have actual names instead of advertisements in place of names.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I think a bunch of other things would also help.

- Being able to display all your wares at the shop front. So armorers can put out armor on display; weaponsmiths can put out weapons on display, etc.

- Costumes for vendors, so blacksmith vendors could be distinguished from apothecary vendors,

- Noticeboards where players can advertise their shops and draw people to them that way.

- I also think signs can use some help. We need some more specialized shop signs. So, say, if I wanted to open a Provisioner's shop, or a Jeweler's shop, etc. or any other specialized shop, it would help if I had a sign for my specialized store. And so on...

Also, like I suggested, I think the naming mechanics should work like it does for NPCs, where you don't know their name until you talk to them. However, the generic title before you talk to them could be specific. So if some vendor is titled "Blacksmith Vendor", I know he sells blacksmithed items. And if he wore a blacksmith's smock, and you have a blacksmith's sign, and you have armor and weapons out front on a display table, that lines things up nicely to advertise what you're selling.

I also don't mind players being able to set vendor barks either. To avoid barks being silly things like UTC timestamps, they could make sure there's some other way for players to tell when a shop was last updated. For instance, just putting it on the vendor window. Or, a more RP way would be to allow players to post notes to vertical surfaces, and a note could list the last time the vendor was stocked and usual items for sale with prices, etc.

Birne Gilmore and Vaentorian like this.
  12. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

13. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I want to allow players to rename their vendors, and I want the names to be visible. I just want to see two changes to vendors that would improve their functionality.

First, add filters to the naming process. Yes, there are already vendors with trashy names. This would help fix renaming items too. Also, try to restrict vendors with the names that are too similar, so we don't want into a row of "Most Excellent Guild Merchant - ItemType" vendors.

Second, change the vendors to use the same name sizes as EVERYWHERE ELSE. The font is huge compared to all NPC, and even PC, names! To go above and beyond, give them a "guild" title of <Private Vendor>. This would help standardize NPCs, and not give undue *weight* to a player vendor compared to any other type of NPC. Plus, it cleans up the appearance of the game.

Net likes this.
  14. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

15. Toff

Toff Avatar

I like the current set up, actually I had some of the settings wrong on my laptop and it did not display the vendor information (be it names or items sold etc.). It was really bothering me until I reset the defaults and got it back. I never did figure out what I toggled off to make them disappear.

16. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I think some of the names are just downright annoying, I've yet to find one that I've found offensive but I'm sure they are out there.
    I think removing the names (or having them actually have to have a name with the same approval rules) would work; we've got other ways to show what our vendor may be selling:
    Signs - craftable or purchaseable
    Display tables where you can lay out different things.
    For example, I run a scroll shop and the vendor is stood behind a table piled with things thatlook like scrolls. They are actually maps, but you know, you get the idea.
    Furniture shop has furniture in the sales area.
    This will be totally doable once weapons/armor can be used as display pieces.

Lord Bankee and Fister Magee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.