Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Encounters send me running

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Jace3, Sep 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

I use to enjoy the encounters but not this release. What happens now is I get tossed into one and find myself facing 6 opponents at once. There is no way I can come out winning a battle with these odds stacked against me.
    Tone them down a bit so maybe 3 at once. Don't make these something we desperately want to avoid. Bring back the mob spacing we use to have or lower the numbers that attack at one time.
    Otherwise these are just a PITA.

Quenton likes this.
  2. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

They have the same spacing, the difference is that their detection range has increased. Get to a corner if you can't overwhelm them and use their tether. Or just book it.

Cally likes this.
  3. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

So that's what it is the detection range. Well I also think they follow you longer than they use to as well when you do run from them.

4. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Even though detection range might be increased, you can still back out of the range of the most distantly approaching mobs to a point where only one or two eventually will follow.

I learned this the hard way a few times, then adjusted my tactics for approaching mobs.

Cally likes this.
  5. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

I always scope the area before I attack anything. I could see one lone figure ahead of me and nothing else in sight. I moved toward the lone figure which was an archer. Before I could get in a swing I had 6 mobs on me. That just isn't right.

Gix likes this.
  6. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Yes, the leash has increased as well. Also, in the case of skeletons that can raise each other they become leashless. I.E. a raised skeleton will follow/attack you until death.

Cally likes this.
  7. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

What type of enemy? I have encountered the skeleton random areas and approach them a bit differently than the rest to avoid being mobbed. I slot fire arrow or some equivalent and draw them to me. If you break LoS they eventually move to you moving away from the ambush site.

Cally likes this.
  8. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Good notes here! I added a task on my to-do list to look into the detection ranges within Random Encounters.

9. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

It was skeletons. I don't think I could break LOS as it was a plains environment.

10. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

If it was the altar one then, best bet is to blind fire periodically and approach in a sweeping fan path.

That particular one I spotted the skeles on the ground and drew the melee to me first via fire/ice arrows.

I had previously run into trouble with that scenario back when it was only accessible near graff mines. This was release 30ish maybe. I triggered too many and paid for that. So I learned from my mistake the next time around. ^^

There are a couple of rock outcroppings that are player height, but they are away from the altar a good bit. So yeah slow and if you can't see them, then try a blind fire. Auto-targeting will help you in that regard.

11. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

In my case, like I said, circa release 30. My mistake was that the skeletons were spread out in a wide swath. So when my sphere/circle of influence headed right for the altar, then that triggered a large number of skeles at one time. The next time I circled the altar from a good distance picking off targets to thin the herd as I uncovered them. My problem was haste makes waste. Of course the increased sensing range will amplify this.

Cally likes this.
  12. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

I never saw an altar. I spawned in looked around 360 degrees and only saw a lone figure. He didn't even look like a skeleton as he was dressed. It was when I moved toward him that the others materialized out of thin air and swarmed/attacked me. This was an encounter as I ran North from Brit to Serpent hills.

13. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

This is especially important in the passes that you need to cross to get around the world. Even newbies need to have a decent way to get through them without getting swarmed.

14. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

I suspect this is the same area. There is a dead towns person semi-near that altar. If you approach that body then you are in for a surprise. That was what happened to me back then. When I came across him again, I checked what he had and one of the things was a jar of worms. Not sure if it is useful, but meh, something new.

It appears that now the random encounters are universal. My previous rationale was that there used to be only 2 areas where random encounters could be found. Perennial Trail was the easy one and then I forget the other, but it was in the plains near Graff mines which was the harder one. Perennial Trail would have grey wolves and the other elder wolves as a difficulty difference example.

15. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

Also, banish the "invalid attack" that occurs because i've decided to attack the bum rushing crowd heading my direction from a ledge, or rock or wall instead of standing there until they are in a fair position to be able to attack me as well. It seems like us outlanders are the most polite targets in new britannia

16. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

It felt perfect before and now its ridiculous. Here is one attempt at a tree:

[​IMG]

17. Gix

Gix Avatar

This thread reminds me of the encounter which has a bunch of skeletons lying beneath a stone-hedge kind of ruin...

You can't avoid aggroing all of them and my guy isn't a polearm-swinging-heavy-plate-wearing-battle-mage so I can only handle two of them at a time and even THAT would be considering a struggle for survival.

18. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

May need to look into Detection Ranges across the board.

1) In mines I reach the Earth Elemental area and half of the cavern charges me. Maybe intentional?
    2) Crypt of the Avatar (and similar dungeons) - I am able to cautiously solo most of this dungeon with the exception of one room. After the plant-grown chamber with Eris in it, you go through a hall with a few skeletons in it and then turn the corner to come to a large chamber. Simply entering the room brings roughly 6 enemies rushing up the stairs at you. It is the room that looks like the room with the Lich in it in Hilt Fortress, if that helps describe it any better. It is a very wild difficulty spike in an otherwise already challenging environment. Were I to advance to a point where this was a challenging encounter, the rest of the dungeon would be too easy. The only thing I can tell that makes it different design-wise is that it is a very open room compared to the rest of the dungeon.

19. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Where are you finding these difficult encounters btw? Every one I've run into has been either basically empty or full of 1 skull level enemies. I haven't run into a single difficult or even interesting one yet. I hear there's a dragon encounter in Drachvald, but I'm not going to mess with that. I learned my lesson after messing with the one in Southern Grunvald Barrens.

Snazz likes this.
  20. Superjuice

Superjuice Avatar

I had a random dragon encounter running between Yew and Central Brit, got knocked down almost immediately on loading in and killed in a couple hits.

Whoever designed that... thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.