a possible solution to low level gold shortage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nonaware, Sep 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

hello everyone another halfbaked idea for you enjoyment :)

to begin with this is just a starter idea and not well thought out.

each starter town(any town really) gets a new "job board" these job boards would be filled with a random assortment of quest for npcs in the town. ideally the jobs would be dynamic and semi procedural pulling from a set list of items. such as zones near by, creatures in said zone, resources in zones.

the jobs would range from kill x# to gather x# and reward gold for completion along with whatever loot aquired.

so for example::

soltown- bandits have become a problem in x zone go kill 20.
    wolves are raiding and harassing towns fold who leave city go kill 20
    ect.

these could be treated as roving encounters rather than as go to x zone. flag a player to a very high % of hitting an encouter while on this quest until completed as a way of not over crowding zones.

anyways theres that :) just a few quick thoughts.

this could be expanded upon later to create "reputation" systems and rewards like titles and unique clothing deco items.

i dont think have these would be just filler quest i could be a ver dynamic experience if done right.

thanks for the time hope for some nice thoughts on this idea :)

2. Pepsy

Pepsy Avatar

I think this is a great idea with some adjustment, players create the jobs, put up a bounty for X amount of leather or X amount of wolves heads. Give the person creating the work order experience in the crafting pool once the order is completed.

3. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

yeah that could be added but i think that its important to have some low level system task generated by the local npcs to create a steady flow of gold for low level players rather than just turning it in to another means of trade.

4. Kidain

Kidain Avatar

I like the theory but we have to be very carefull not to fall into the "handholding" scenario that SOTA is trying to avoid. It is a little bit quest hub style.

Instead we could have more obvious NPCS who need the help. So for example in the tavern could be an injured person. When you ask then what is wrong they tell you it was a pack of wolves. You kill the wolves and he rewards you BUT in the end his injuries get better and he moves on. In the meantime near the crafting benches could be a fed up looking leather merchant. When you speak to them they say they just cannot keep up with demand at the minute and their investors are getting annoyed with them. You supply him with more leather and he thanks you with gold but in the end he catches up with his demand and moves on. That way they are meaningful quests that interact with the world and the world stays dynamic.

Might be a lot of hard work for course just an idea.

5. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

yeah that would be a more ideal solution but i think it would take to much work and time for the devs.

while a job board might be pushing closer to the hand holding most of us dont like i think that it would be the easiest solution if they were going to create a system like this and give low level adventures/ crafters a chance to get ahead gold wise.

example*

wandering through town thinking about what to get into today and maybe make a bit of gold a player would check out the job board and see what task are up and they could do. once and if a job is chosen they would be told to a npc to go interact with.

6. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Hmmm...some good ideas, Player quests best and as well as offering gold for the completion, it would be quite possible for someone to instead/also offer up xp which comes out of their pool total.

7. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Also instead of kill 20... which is so WoW like... something else - like arrest the leader of the gang, etc. And the quests are limited to low player levels - involvement of high level chars should be blocked.

nonaware likes this.
  8. BiggieD

BiggieD Avatar

I think it's a great idea from the OP

9. Kidain

Kidain Avatar

I could not agree more by the way :) I love the idea and I don't think it just addresses the issue of the gold, I think it helps new players. This game can be a little bewildering at the start and that comes from a very experienced MMO player who did play UO a long time ago. This could be a great way to keep people from not really being sure where to go next in the world.

:)

10. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

yeah would be better if they could be more than just go kill this many.

i would hope that they could make it so that quest could be assembled from a list of different variables making things some what dynamic and have the ability to create a changing story about the region over time told through quest.

might be to much work for the devs i just hate the idea of them throwing the daily missions in that are just rise and repeat over and over.

11. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Every player vendor has this capability to buy things. Click the second top tier tab.

The player who owns the vendor puts what they are looking for with the gold on the vendor.

Wayfarer likes this.
  12. Wayfarer

Wayfarer Avatar

Quite; I'd like to see that made more visible. Maybe with a better indication that offers are available. Barks, maybe--with a UI toggle for those who would prefer not to have all of Owl's Head meep-meeping at them as they approach. Or, should we ever get the option to dress up our vendors, we could add those exclamation point toppers that we earned in a previous telethon.

I think we've got most of the ingredients available for a good player-driven market to get the gold circulating. We just need some way to approach the state of perfect information that is the economists' equivalent of the physicists' spherical cow. I'm sure the recipe is on a vendor somewhere--but I wish I could find it!

4EverLost and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  13. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Port was intentionally removing all the "kill X, gather X" quests (there used to be some). For example there used to be a quest in Owlshead to gather corpse wax, but instead corpse wax now fetches a greater price from that area.

Fister Magee likes this.
  14. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Is there a low-level gold shortage? What are the low level characters trying to buy?

Low level characters aren't using very many reagent heavy spells.
    Starting gear is pretty dang cheap and honestly gets you to fairly decent levels without problem.
    Housing and Property Tax is by nature designed for the mature player to leverage - a goal to reach not something to start with.

Some of the ideas listed are pretty cool from a community-building aspect, but I get a little worried about the high expectations for the economic pacing of the game when we label these as solutions for non-existing problems. People seem to be expecting to get super wealthy and have all of the best stuff way too fast.

x_Selene_x and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  15. AceBenSuited

AceBenSuited Avatar

I like this idea. Player generated quests where the top tier can put up their own gold/items and some XP from the pool. I would be glad to throw 500g and 1000xp for someone to carry my bed frame.

lollie, 4EverLost and Spoon like this.
  16. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

I've been trying to think of some way to stimulate the economy (I will buy high quality items, which are usually made by someone with significant resources to be able to do it.)

Problem is like portalarium all my ideas would more likely just put a few k gold in the pocket of. Someone like me who doesn't need a few k gold.

This is something where being able to both see and limit a task to character level would help (though not 100% solve, alt accounts)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  17. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

You cannot have instanced NPCs for dynamic quests in scenes with player housing, this design has been confirmed by devs without acknowledging it as a flaw needing to be fixed (in fact they closed threads on the topics)

You can only have conversation states. The NPC will always be standing there injured to give out the kill 10 wolves quests for the next hero to come along, same as all the refugees in Soltown all have an excuse why they are not moving on. Maybe they are realizing that go kill X things are a fundamental of the new player economy that has to be there, despite having critiqued such quests as belonging in badly designed MMOs.

Your only hope for dynamic questing would be in the encounter scenes themselves, those could have such NPCs but then you have no known hub to get such quests.

18. Raistlyn

Raistlyn Avatar

Agreed to much like WOW with silly question marks and exclamation marks over their heads.

19. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Didn't we used to have something like this in the form of player-run mail delivery? Paid a fee and they'd deliver your mail for you somewhere or other?

20. Wayfarer

Wayfarer Avatar

Along the lines of player-driven methods to move gold and improve player engagement, I think the flash quests that @Pikegirl is organizing are promising. Bite-size tasks with rewards and an underlying narrative.

It'd be kind of fun to see similar systems around the three main virtue paths (four if you'd like a bit of Chaos in your diet), updated regularly--though maybe that'd be something better tackled closer to commercial launch, once the team's out of the foundational work and oriented to ongoing care and feeding of the world.

Pikegirl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.