1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Upcoming Economic Balance Changes

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Sep 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I havent had any issues gettign constant streams of resources in multiplayer at all, and every mine forces you into single player when you enter it.

4EverLost and Acred like this.
  2. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

Nope... singleplayer mines it is...! :)

Jaanelle DeJure likes this.
  3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

And since allt he mines are singleplayer, Have them run dry daily or have compounding, slower respawns over time if the person keeps the pressure on. give it a 24 hour recovery time.

That means if you mine hundreds of ores out of the same mine, your gonna get worse and worse yield until eventually you jsut need to move on. If another guy goes intot he mine, he has his own isntance so he isnt affected by your own depreciation.

4. Mirjhaf Uth'Mathar

Mirjhaf Uth'Mathar Avatar

I understand, some of us, like me, don't have much time to play to this very good game.
    i play around 15-20 hour/week maximum
    But, like in real life, if i want do $$ or Resources, i need spent time on that..

I do, in Single Online Mode, most of the time, twice as $$ of my real life friend in Multi Mode. in the same amount of time.
    So, why i'm going to play in Multi, if i do a lot more in Single..
    And.. in Single, where is Fun, if i play in Single..
    In that case, i'm going to play a Game solo in my Computer.. not a Multi one..

I just stopped to play in Single, and Friendly mode, because, too easy to make $$.
    and a lack of challenge

i love hard game, with a lot of difficulty
    this game, is by far, a lot to easy in $$
    I play to Everquest around 5-6 years, ultima Online since 1997, World of Warcraft around 10years and some more
    But first time here, i see that much of $$ and resource after 2 week in persistent state. this game, going to have a problem, a serious problem, in the Futur.

Jaanelle DeJure and Hornpipe like this.
  5. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

LOL somehow I knew that would be the first response. :D

(Give me all your gems.) o_O

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    Mitara likes this.
  6. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

Well, when it comes to getting gold for completing a quest for an adventurer skill, I think the skill itself should be reward enough. Now, if the quest giver wants to be paid for the skill as well as send the player out to complete a quest, then that's okay. The knowledge and perceived benefits of the skill should have value.

I'm not crazy about daily quests though, but it makes sense in terms of multiplayer activity and engagement. It doesn't make sense if you have quests with consequences being repeatable (which is better suited for a single player offline game anyway).

7. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Well, I also support adding POT Water Lot Deeds for others to use, and provide additional options for Water homes. So... yeah. But in the mean time, yes the planters would be what anyone could use. Serpent scales are pretty rare, so perhaps capturing snakes and putting them in a terrarium would be a good way to "farm" those.

8. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

I was a tailor/mage in UO as well. Still have the character today. I'll probably go that route here as well... considering it's the same character anyway. :)

Mitara likes this.
  9. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

What we need in game is the ability to craft soapboxes. We can have a free speech zone in the center of each town where people can use their soapboxes to preach about how we should lead our lives. Of course we should lead our lives their way. How dare anyone leave the group think madness and strive to follow their personal dream? Stay in the group, friends. Dance on the tables. Drink imaginary ale and pretend you are drunk. Use your puke emote so we can all laugh at your creativeness..... Bleh.... The economy is people competing for personal benefit. Personal benefit is always the driver, not group benefit. Personal accomplishment always has the secondary benefit that it helps the group by economic activity stimulated while attaining personal goals. We should encourage people to have fun their way, not shame them into sitting on the corner with the rest of the never do wells.

10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

NPC Newbie Guild Guard;
    1) Low level player (whatever that is) is offered to become employed by any NPC town's local militia. (guild tag included <Owls Head Guard>, <Ardoris Guard>, ext).
    2) Returning to that same NPC town's Guard headquarters then provides a bonus of gold to the player based on how many nasty creatures they have thus far killed.
    3) When the player has reach a certain level of skill, then returning to that NPC town for their bonus gold becomes the time when the Guard decides to stop or slowly begin lowering the amount of bonus gold to the player until it reaches zero.
    4) At the time the amount reaches zero or begins to decrease, then that player is then awarded rank within the NPC guards.
    5) Upon achieving the top rank and receiving no other bonus gold, they then can choose to remain in that NPC Town's Guard and carry their NPC guild tag, yet if they join another guild (player guild) they will never again be able to re-enter any NPC town's guard.
    6) Early goods that are hunted up could also be sold to the NPC guard's quartermaster which would allow for an additional bonus in the sales of their goods.
    === you can end reading here, "but" ===

This allows the player not to be economically pimped or forced into joining any player guild until they so may wish to do so.
    This also allows the player a cense of pride and deepening their relationship in interacting with the NPCs which they will encounter throughout our game.
    This as well allows for some economic prosperity while young to our game.

Simple short and to the point...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Jens_T and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  11. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

100% agree. We 'DO' need bulletin boards. I've mentioned this several times and am glad that someone else finally sees this as a viable solution to the problem. It is an excellent way of advertising locations of vendors, plus you can also post guild related activities, etc.

12. RadioMan

RadioMan Avatar

True, some will always hunt for the best item at the time. But far more players will settle for something that is 'Good' but not 'Great'

13. RadioMan

RadioMan Avatar

We are basically in Open Beta, where the Dev's have decided to not Wipe the game when release happens. Launch has not occurred. Just ask the Devs, Launch will be at the end of the year, or early 2017. At that time there will also be advertising, and other things that accompany a launch; none of which has occurred yet.

14. RadioMan

RadioMan Avatar

I know I liked how SWG had it in the early days. There was a terminal where you could see all the vendors whose owners flagged them to be viewable there and search for items across them. But to buy the item, you had to goto the vendor.

That allowed connections, but still made people travel to the various regions and encounter them.

15. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I think this experiment pretty much hits the nail on the head.
    I went through Brit alleys the other day just browsing. Vendor, after vendor, after vendor, selling ore and CotO at wildly varied prices, with a few add on store / pledge reward things thrown in.
    A few selling crafted commodities, most of them priced more or less in line with the material cost, and some dirt cheap - and still on the vendors.
    No specialty shops at all, except for a carpentry shop right inside the entrance.
    Everything else was a 'random crap' shop. I went to every house in the place and didn't find a thing to buy - either it was stuff I could get/make myself way cheaper (ore/resources) or it was pledge reward stuff out of my budget.

I went looking for a wand with specific stats on it. Never did find it. Instead I ended up getting that carpenter who ran that carpentry shop to make me a few to enchant up myself.

On a related note, I had a+10 plate leggings with avoidance/resist/strength masterwork and 2 strength enchants on it that sat on my vendor for over a week for 10,000 gold. Someone eventually bought it.
    Yeah, my vendor is in a player town that doesn't get a lot of traffic, but its not reasonable to expect people to wander the entire countryside looking for bargains.
    We need some sort of vendor search function or bulletin board system for advertising - shouldn't have to leave game and post on forums.
    This would also help people identify reasonable prices for things, instead of seeing +6 stuff listed for 35,000 gold and the same +6 item for 5000 gold on the vendor next door.

16. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Could you also look at how nodes spawn. Like superstition canyon, a 5 skull area. But all metal nodes (about 15 or so) are all copper. I use to clear them all thinking there might be some randomness but always, I mean always copper?!?

17. Sir Leonard

Sir Leonard Localization Team

After reading and thinking carefully, i quitely don't feel these changes are helping balancing economy and it seems just an odd solution for a complex situation. The proposed solutions does not seems to block rich people from harvesting the same rewards as new players, thus i think the "curve" will stay the same regardless.

Also, i think that NOW, on these days, the gold influx is all but broken. It doesn't feels compeling, nor attractive to a high level player going around farming for HOURS to just collect a couple thousand gold, having to deal with repair costs, reagents, crafting fuels and so forth. It does not give you a true incentive, hinders progress and I am already starting to see people getting burned out from farming or trying to "progress" while being constantly hindered and pushed down by the system.

Market seems stalled. Items on vendor just doesn't sell anymore and the only people doing trades are the ones that do it on COTOs or cash.

Also Multiplayer now seems useless and does not give any benefit. So, the days i spent on my guild doing hunting groups are all but over and Shroud is just a single player game with a chat channel... this should be addressed much sooner than giving daily quests, because social factor is a strong game sustaining for a lot of people.

I know you guys are worried about inflation, but as a state of fact, every game has it and have to deal with it in different manners. Forcing players to spend all their earnings on repair costs and reagents and pay taxes just to halve inflation... i don't see this as a good design. Also, as life repeats reality, some 1% WILL have the majority of money... as long as they are not exploiting or cheating (e.g. bots) to get there i really don't see this as an issue because they WILL have to adapt to market prices if they want to keep getting money.

As for release 32, there were some "exploiteables" zones (like Santus farming) that could potentially lead to easy-money runs, with people carrying 80k worth in longbows just in a couple hours of "domination farming", but that was an isolated and could be dealed specifically.

But then the nerf was just too much and too global. I didn't see merchant selling prices as a problem, nor monster drops (aside from some elves), but that should be fixed by adjusting high level monsters with high level rewards, not just renaming items to shoddy and cutting profit by 85%-90% along the line - either by tweaking loot tables and removing valuable items, decreasing loot cost, average loot durability AND by cutting npc prices to about less-than-half they were before ALL AT THE SAME TIME. Now even when i farm for metal scraps it feels a pain (metal scraps was supposed to FACILITATE smelting, not forcing you to spend one entire day just to farm some).

Anyway, that's just what the feelings the game brings to me now, having experimented R32 and comparing to what it is now.

[Edit: just spent 1.5 hours in an area hunting for halberds - supposedly on of the most valuable gear to sell currently... total profit for killing bunches of fighters, 5 at a time, filling up my bag for 500 pounds of equipment? 2,9k gold at Owl's Head Blacksmith... so yes, for me this feels ENTIRELY broken and frustrating, while i know i will spend 4k just on Coal a little later to smelt some ores and craft one more piece of bronze gear. I pray for you guys to fix this ASAP. :/]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  18. Aklys

Aklys Avatar

Alpha, Beta, Release these are all older references IMO as these don't fit the current market as each dev defines it differently. If the game is permanent and accessible it is released.

If you treat it as Beta then there should be a time where everything starts again as Beta is still a testing phase.

Alot of people since Minecraft and crowd funding days like to keep things labelled as Alpha, Beta or Early Access as a way increasing funding to a project. But typically they are doing what would be defined as a pre-mature release. If you are selling the game openly (like a full release) and in the case of a MMO style game you are providing persistence, what makes you different to a released game?

Adjustments to the game will be made? Bugs will be fixed in the game? This happens in games that have been termed released. I don't know this is just my thoughts on the matter, maybe I'm entirely wrong in my opinion but it seems very much like SotA is released and no one wants to call a duck a duck. This will bring in more funding potentially and for issues you can always fall back on saying it isn't released all at the same time.

I hope the game improves dramatically as it has some great potential.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The game is not finished, factually. Whatever you choose to call that.

Time Lord and Aklys like this.
  20. Aklys

Aklys Avatar

I agree it is not finished. I have never once called it finished. But being an MMO I'm guessing it will never be technically finished until the game stops having servers.

But it does seem released.

Very different things :)

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.