Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

SoS PvP !!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Abydos, Sep 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdbaynham

sdbaynham Avatar

I can't imagine how gear and level could be less important without just eliminating them altogether. A piece of gear that has 6% crit can easily cost 3x a piece of gear that has 4% crit. A skill leveled to 60 will require 4x as much XP as a skill leveled to 40 and won't provide even 50% more advantage. Sharply diminishing returns is how you make gear and level less important and this game has a killer diminishing curve on both gear and level.

All I ever hear from PVPers are excuses. "Well yes PVP is the most lucrative way in the game to play and nobody wants to play it, so here's a list of things the developers need to give us before PVP will start to matter this time, I swear." There are more PVEers in the open PVP areas than PVPers at this point.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Inevitability

Inevitability Avatar

I agree we need some sort of cap or hard diminishing returns after gm or the game will be who can grind more not who has the better play style or build

Time Lord, Net, Abydos and 1 other person like this.
  3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

mabye faction gear would solve some of this. Maybe not for those who do not join factions (if they implement them) but faction gear bought by faction points would balance a lot.

Time Lord and StevieD like this.
  4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

[​IMG]
    This? Ravenclaw all the way!

Time Lord and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  5. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

yes! Well something similar and SotA style, but yes this is the jist of it. :) anything to give meaning and value to pvp. I could see there being restrictions to joining if one faction has more pvp than others. I would like to see a balance but yes, this is it overall.

StevieD and Time Lord like this.
  6. Gix

Gix Avatar

I actually believe that gear and skill level won't matter too much at the end, much like Chris believes. The issue is that, because the levelling curve is steep at the beginning, the lower level you are, the more painful the PvP experience is.

The game is far from easy to learn how to play... with the XP pool and the unconventional stat labels on items, trying to figure out where to go, etc... and the PvP isn't even something you can do on the side because everything is stacked against you.

Well, that's a given ;)

Time Lord and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I hope you are right. From what I understand is that the average person plays like 10-15 hours a week. I have noticed that some players play 15-20 hours a day. I hope that is not true because these people need help if they do. Non the less they do do this. So with the decay and the high levels of the hardcore, pvp will be a sideshow, and many will not do it.

Time Lord and Abydos like this.
  8. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

I asked Richard via Twitter if they were bringing back the some version of the faction system his answer...
    "Absolutely! Will take a bit of time, but more planned."

Pluvius, Time Lord, Abydos and 2 others like this.
  9. sdbaynham

sdbaynham Avatar

There is already hard diminishing returns, that's what I said. Every time you increase a skill by 10 points, it costs about as much XP as you've put into that skill up to that point. And for most skills, the next 10 points gives you less than the previous 10 points. The diminishing returns in this game could not be harder.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. sdbaynham

sdbaynham Avatar

Did you mean to say the learning curve? What game are YOU playing?

Time Lord likes this.
  11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Crafting is just as frustrating! So is balance between PVP frustrating as well. Bottom line everything seems frustrating to me (in my opinion) leveling also frustrating as well, I dont do many quests on purpose i just pick them up along the way where ever i am , its frustrating to run all over the place!

Time Lord, uhop, Net and 1 other person like this.
  12. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

LoL Join the Horned Society and you will feel better man !

:D

Gring Grind Grind Friends Only Grind Grind Grind and Friends Only + Grind and you will be the King of the Hills :D

Ravicus Domdred and Time Lord like this.
  13. Blackheath

Blackheath Avatar

I'm pretty curious to know what it is that PvP players actually want--what would make PvP fun and meaningful to you? There have been quite a few threads like this in the past, but very few who want "better" PvP say what would make PvP work for them. Another thing I don't see is any of the PvP advocates trying to organize among themselves. Is there a reason you can't put together a few groups, factions, houses, guilds, or whatever you want to call them and work out how to meet up and fight over (insert thing here)? Does PvP have to involve unwilling players to make it fun? Does it have to be a chance encounter to be meaningful? Is the whiff of RP a major turn-off?

Seems to me if you want to attract more players to PvP, you need to find a way to show those players why PvP is fun. Not all of us are motivated by greed, so increased resources as a lure doesn't work. We aren't all goaded to action by being called cowards or care-bears, so insults don't work . What makes it fun?

Time Lord, uhop and Sir Cabirus like this.
  14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Full loot, for these 3 reasons
    1. I can take your stuff and leave you nekkid giving me time to disappear before you come back to seek revenge.

2. The price i can get for all those things (money)

3. Risk vs reward

Spinok, Time Lord and Sir Cabirus like this.
  15. Blackheath

Blackheath Avatar

How does "full loot" attract non-PvPers in to give it a try?

Time Lord, uhop and Sir Cabirus like this.
  16. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

i was editing
    :) Most non pvprs wont go into PVP. But they can also get those three reasons

Time Lord and Sir Cabirus like this.
  17. Blackheath

Blackheath Avatar

ahh :)
    I can see how you find those things attractive, but how is that supposed to attract those of us who have been exactly that victim too many times and want nothing to do with it now? A large part of the lament here is how PvPers are leaving and the measures in place so far are failing to bring non-PvPers in to give it a go. I gotta say, promising to gank them and leave them with nothing certainly won't do it :)

18. sdbaynham

sdbaynham Avatar

This is what's so funny- there absolutely are enough "PVPers" to set up PVP here on Sota, and plenty of resources for them to fight over. But PVPers don't want to fight other PVPers, and there's not a herd of cattle for them to roll up and slaughter, so we get to see threads like this every few weeks.

Lifedragn, Retro, Net and 4 others like this.
  19. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Well you dont really know me or how i play, so ill give it to you here, im the one that likes to go out and kill the people that gank you, a pk hunter if you will. :) Ive been the victim before, but nothing is more satisfying than finding that pkr and cleaning him out for a change! Thats the only time i go open PVP. I typically play the good guy, i dont just gank sheep its boring!

20. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

100% agreement. PvPs learn to organize yourself and fight your fight against other PvPs. Or make suggestions how to make PvP interesting for PvEs ;)

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.