PvP Zones

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by airroncam, Sep 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

For my take on pvp right now, is I cannot do it. I used to be able to have no problem pvp in pre r25, but now whenever I log into multi player I have a harsh lag. I would love to join in pvp right now but I simply cannot. Looking forward to the improvement that chris talked about the last hang out.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Inevitability

Inevitability Avatar

Yes ransom is messed up I also posted this in the other thread https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/sos-pvp.62227/page-4#post-651233

We definitely need some sort of pvp changes.. There is no incentive at the moment maybe if you transfer xp on a pvp kill and introduce lvl difference too. So if a player lvl 50 kills a 75 he steals 30k xp. The lvl 75 would only gain 10k xp if he killed the lvl 50. This would make people want to attack them so they can gain xp for killing them.. maybe also take out 10% for the oracle so no xp farming between characters can occur..

We also need a revamp to the pricing of the oracle loot. All the regs should be buy back on a 1.25 of what the reg goes for the lowest. All of the crafted and enchanted armor and weapons need to be on some sort of economy pricing of what refined resources that were put into the item. Then take that total and divide it by 75%? or even equal so in theory it would cost the same to buy back as it would be to recraft? I am open for 50% to 100%

Moveable player bars PLEASE!! So I can adjust my screen how I like not so i have to keep looking all the way up to the top left of my huge monitor :)

Sticky combat mode either auto attack or charged attack.(or even a combo of the 2 its auto attack unless u hold in a key for charged attack - But still allowing left click hold for movement..) make weapons less clunky..(tired of hitting t)

Make buffs and heals always hit yourself (unless you target someone in your party) tired of hitting healing touch as an emergency only to heal a party member and die.. Same thing with my stat buffs tired of always buffing party members of overwriting their stat buffs.. (especially harmful for lower level players in group who are casting these spells on a higher lvl player in the group (by accident or not knowing) hindering his damage and defenses.

A (movable) Target of Target stat bar. Would be extremely helpful to healers who can target their tank then also still see the enemy he has targeted to attack it and also heal him

There are many more things too but this is what I came up with right now..

lollie and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  3. airroncam

airroncam Avatar

Yes exactly this. PvE is meaningful. PvP is currently pointless. PvP cant exist without some aspects of PvE.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  4. Oeneusc

Oeneusc Avatar

My issue is that it's too expensive to PVP. If I can't afford to have backup gear or pay ransoms then I'm not going to duel/PVP often unless the incentives are extreme. It's silly that I can't really afford to dye my armor. Or maybe it's that I'd rather save it for gear upgrades. I think the ransom for my non-magical/no ++ cloth gloves was approximately 700gp. I'm going from late night memory there. It might have been boots. I don't know if the game or the winning duelist sets the ransom price since I have yet to win a 1 on 1 battle. It seems like I didn't have very long to decide using the oracle interface thingy.

As for incentives, non-crafting players are not going to rush into PVP zones so they can sell rusted **** to vendors for chump change!!!

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  5. Inevitability

Inevitability Avatar

Yes the loot system needs to be fixed it has never been changed since they implemented it 9 months ago?

Oeneusc and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  6. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

Just a thought.
    Since this game is being created in a new, never before done ,development style; could not PVP be reinvented as well? Put the best creative and dedicated PVPer's and PVEer's to work. Re- invent the best parts of PVP so that it is attractive to PVEer's, and all other role playing styles.
    If unity is the final goal for this community, this can be achieved by the most dedicated players by making PVP a united front to be played by all not just a few. I think it is a goal worth striving for.

7. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

You can say whatever you want but this business of adding resources that drop more things like the cotton drops more Carapace now in pvp zones accomplices the VERY thing Port promised they wouldn't do. Which is a lure to draw people into pvp zones who would otherwise NEVER go. Namely the PVE'er. Why? Because the pvpers are still wanting lures to bring in the pve'ers into pvp zones because they like and enjoy ganking/griefing pver's. Its "Fun" for them. You can put whatever kind of candy coating on it you want, but, that is what this is. Port has gone back on their word to keep pvp consensual. This is a game that has a MAJORITY population of PVE'ers. We have seen with each passing season them add more and more and more pvp zones to the almost exclusion of other things. If they put as much effort into making the PVE areas as visually interesting as they put into the shardfalls this game would be amazing. Instead we have area after area that says "Under Construction" because it is a copy cat of something else.

8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

You are correct. Its a lure. But you can get the resources elsewhere outside of the pvp areas. So if you do not want to risk items or gold then you can get the resources in other areas. Do you think the pvp'rs all get along and they just take what you have? No they are fighting each other too. Its part of risk vs reward not charity.

9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

no one is forcing you to do anything, but if you want to be greedy and risk the better resources then you risk pvp. But you can get anything that is in the shardfall outside of the shardfall, its just not as common.

10. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

First this goes against original promises. Second making the pvp zones resource RICH will also create an imbalance in the economy. Why? the best of everything is already ending up in the pvp zones. Which means the pvper will have first pick at them. In addition to more gold from killing pve gathering characters trying to make up for the fact that it is already harder to gather these same rescources in other areas. So you end up with a small handful of pvpers with all the money and the rest of us struggling. Honestly the only GREEDY ONES are the pvpers who constantly rant and demand and get PREFERENTIAL treatment in this game.

11. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I've gone into a Shardfall and harvested cotton and pulled nothing but cotton plenty of times... and then gone directly to a 4skull zones and pulled beetles and cutworms. I can also go into any mine in the game and round robbin nodes in the first room and never deplete them... in multiplayer.

I go into the Shardfall to harvest because it's more exciting; the risk of PVP makes grinding more enjoyable. If you're wanting to grind node to node and just pull resources then the Shardfalls aren't for you regardless of what they offer in terms of harvest. It's fun because of the risk. Otherwise, it's just a macro waiting to happen... and that's lame.

12. airroncam

airroncam Avatar

I am greedy because I want to fight for resources against other people. Makes perfect sense...

13. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

+1

airroncam likes this.
  14. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

This question about PVP vs PVE is and always will be a difficult one for games like this to navigate.
    I just hope they eventually get it right...

Trying to build PVP specific areas then adding additional benefits for going there is attempting to entice people into PVP. I get the concept, but it is flawed, overused and outdated. This tactic has been used in many games and lead to nothing but frustration for players not interested in PVP, I hope portalarium can come up with fresh ideas for this solution instead of re-hashing failed ideas from previous games. If they re-design the PVP element in this game to make it New, Unique and fun to PVP then you will have no need for PVP areas. People will wear their PVP tags with pride and every area in game will be your PVP paradise. Right now with PVP areas the only option someone has to see and do everything is to PVP and that is not right. PVP needs work before you should be forcing new players into a broken system for additional resources.

I know with this community some new and fresh ideas to this age old question can be found...
    • I personally would suggest removing all PVP zones and opening all areas to everyone playing/paying for SOTA.
    • Remove all the additional resource rewards from the zones
    • start working on fixing the PVP and balance through duels, tournaments, and the PVP flags
    • Start adding additional guild elements for guild wars or pvp town raids
    • Add a rating system where PVP points are earned by winning.
      • The higher the rank of player you kill the more points or fame you earn
    • Add PVP specific instances and hold guild events like a control point.
      • The more time your guild holds the control point against other guilds the more fame your guild receives
    • With PVP Fame and Guild PVP fame additional titles can be earned.

By making PVP fun you will elimate any need for rewards to entice people to PVP. People who enjoy it will have a place in every scene and people that do not will also have a place in every scene.

Malimn, tinman_n8, Womby and 2 others like this.
  15. Inevitability

Inevitability Avatar

Umm.... what did you just say? I hate when people who dont participate in pvp try to make suggestions... I did like your post until I read that then i could not continue..

16. MIdnightvalkyrie

MIdnightvalkyrie Avatar

I think this is actually a good point. If I am reading it right lefty is not advocating more resources because he/she wants to "lure" the PVE'ers in but simply to make sure there is something worthwhile to do while waiting for other PVP'ers to show up. I'm getting the impression that he doesn't care one way or the other if a PVE'er ever shows up there. That seems reasonable enough to me considering the PVP population seems fairly limited.

I would probably have no problem at all if the number of resource nodes were increased, maybe adding an "open" mine (non-instanced) for ore somewhere in the area, making sure the mobs dropped something halfway decent to vendor, and maybe even placing such a vendor in the Shardfall (I have no idea if there is one already or not, and anyway it might be over the top to have one actually in the zone). Basically make the Shardfalls their own little contained systems where the PVP'er could spend their time while looking over their shoulders to see if anyone else shows up.

I'm sure there are a ton of pitfalls to it that I haven't seen, but I am strictly a PVE'er and it certainly wouldn't bother me in the least if the PVP'ers got that bone thrown to them - it also wouldn't make me feel I "had" to go there.

airroncam likes this.
  17. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

The entire idea of using resources to encourage PvP seems nonsensical to me because the two things can't co exist. The only time any resources are being gathered is when there is no fighting happening.

Reward from PvP should come from the actual PvP. That could be in the form of PvP generated xp, items, status, etc. As long as you can prevent people from exploiting by killing each other over and over, there is no need for resources or player looting.

kaeshiva likes this.
  18. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I think you guys are missing the point of meaningful PVP. People want more out of PVP than just duels or tournaments or guild fighting. Meaningful PVP means as many different things to people that want to PVP as meaningful PVE means to people that just want to PVE. Me, I want to merge RP, PVE and PVP and I certainly don't need anyone working to purposefully lessen my experience here because they think I'm having too much fun. First off - PVP is 100% consensual and that's an important distinction that you should not let yourself forget while you're beating your drum. Have you even been to a Shardfall or a Ruin and tried to harvest anything? I think before you start charging this particular windmill, maybe you should harvest in PVP zones a dozen times or so and develop some sort of personal average that you can use to compare to what you pull in from regular PVE scenes. You're going to find the harvest rate is slower, ridiculously more dangerous (even if you only encounter mobs), and you risk losing important hard to craft gear and/or thousands in gold ransoms... and body parts that retain your name. The body part and how it will fit into future game play is also unknown at this time.

Don't downplay the risk - the risk is significant and that's a huge part of the excitement and fun.

The game is set up to allow for anyone to go anywhere and harvest everything at anytime with single player and friends online mode. All raw mats are available to everyone everywhere all the time. PVP scenes on the other hand, are forced multiplayer... believe me... this is a difference that should not be ignored. It's a defining difference because it's not completely uncommon to go into a PVP scene and find resources ravaged. Now your risk/reward is crazy unbalanced because the rewards need to respawn and if you're in the scene just to harvest you'll need to hide and stay alive until a pine tree comes back. Because if you die at the hands of another player, you actually lose things... you don't just get to respawn and start grinding again. And if you just lost your primary weapon - your game is done... time to go make new stuff - hopefully you have enough mats set aside to reset.

You need to experience harvesting in a PVP zone before you try to defend these criticisms... and telling people how they should PVP is just wrong. No one here is telling the PVE purist that all they should do is buy a property deed and craft furniture. Some of us, maybe even most of us want meaningful PVP that has a real place in the SotA story.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

airroncam likes this.
  20. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Read the rest please. I shorten for you so you can understand.

Make PVP Fun/Fix PVP
    Then you and other people will turn on there PVP tag.
    now everywhere is a PVP zone for you and people who don't want PVP can still go everywhere.

And no where in my post did I say I don't PVP. What I don't do is gank resource gatherers trying to make a living.

FrostII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.